EC-1 Pictures

  • Bill Degnan
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 16, 2009
      Here are some pictures of the EC-1. I plan to upload a video to YouTube
      tonight.

      http://vintagecomputer.net/heathkit/ec-1/

      Bob Grieb instructed me how to interpret the wiring diagram for the falling
      body program (the first exercise) and we got the old girl up and running.
      Fortunately I had two LCD bulbs needed to replace the failed bulbs on
      amplifer 4, and the tubes checked out (Mike and Bob brought testers). Bob
      was able to check the system out thoroughly, and we were able to calibrate
      a 9 amplifiers reasonably satisfactorally.

      http://vintagecomputer.net/heathkit/ec-1/FallingBody/

      I plan to continue studying this system and I hope to be able to wire my
      own problems and solve the exercises/samples from the user guide.

      Very good stuff.

      In addition to the psychedelic oscilloscope output of the "falling body",
      I also in the video I hope to show more of the work we did including:
      Dan's PET 2001-8 and Apple II project
      Dan working on an Altair 8800 front panel
      maybe more.

      Fun weekend. I need a good night sleep. Thanks to everyone who came.

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 20, 2009
        Bill,

        That thing it cool! It's the type of technology that would have been
        used at Camp Evans and thus would make a great museum exhibit.

        Jim

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 20, 2009
          MARCH's Electronic Associates TR-20 is even better for that purpose. The
          Heathkit EC-1 was merely a trainer, not a commercial tool, whereas the EAI
          (granted, a later release date) was intended for serious research. Also,
          Electronic Associates was formed by ex-Camp Evans people, though I forget
          their names right now.

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 20, 2009
            ...Although it would be mind-blowing if we havd a BIG one:
            http://dcoward.best.vwh.net/analog/eai.htm

            That thing it cool! It's the type of technology that would have been
            used at Camp Evans and thus would make a great museum exhibit.

          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 21, 2009
              On Fri, 20 Mar 2009, Evan Koblentz wrote:

              > ...Although it would be mind-blowing if we havd a BIG one:
              > http://dcoward.best.vwh.net/analog/eai.htm

              Would you believe, I used to have the second one down, the 16-31R? It
              was back in the mid-'70s and I bought it at a Penn State Surplus auction
              for something like $75.00. It wasn't complete, and I ended up stripping a
              lot of the parts out of it and scrapping the rest. I didn't know anything
              about analog computers at the time.

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...