Bad day turns to good day.

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 29, 2005
      Went outside this morning and found a big, ugly, white scratch on the black
      fender of my newly painted car. The expletives spewed far, wide, and loud.

      Then UPS delivered my Gavilan laptop computer, one day earlier than I paid
      for. Mood greatly improved!

      The seller assured me the battery's quite dead, and that nobody sells
      replacements. But visually, it looks like four rechargeable C-cells, so
      it's easy to make a new pack from parts at my local hobby shop or from
      DigiKey or BatteriesPlus or wherever. I own a very high-end charger
      designed for R/C models, and I have some recent experience from making a
      custom pack for my Apple 1 replica.

      Most of the manuals were shipped separately by regular mail, and I won't get
      them until later this week at the soonest.

      Will dive into it this weekend. Praying that I don't damage anything when I
      open the case to clean it!

      Anyone ever worked on one of these before?

      - 775 readers and no spam / Publishes every Monday / Write for us!
    • billdeg@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 29, 2005
        In a message dated 8/29/2005 6:38:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        evan947@... writes:

        > Anyone ever worked on one of these before?

        I never even heard of a Gavilan!
        -Bill
      • ahm
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 29, 2005
          On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 08:59:53PM -0400, billdeg@... wrote:
          > I never even heard of a Gavilan!

          Didn't it look something like the Grid Compass?
        • Evan
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 29, 2005

            The company was (co-?)founded by Zilog CEO Manny Fernandez.

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 29, 2005
              Yes.

              Didn't it look something like the Grid Compass?
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 29, 2005
                Evan,

                Sorry about the scratch. Try scrubbing the scratch to remove the white. Use
                rubbing compound judicously if needed, and then wax it to get the shine back.
                Do it soom before it all "sets".

                I believe Gavilans ran CP/M. How big is the screen? Is there a picture in the
                Vintage computer book?

                Jim

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 29, 2005
                  Evan,

                  Gee, it looks more modern than I thought.

                  Jim

                  --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

                  > http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~csclub/museum/items/gavilan.html
                  >
                  > The company was (co-?)founded by Zilog CEO Manny Fernandez.
                  >
                  > _____

                  +cleaning&w2=Computer+lab+rental&w3=Notebook+computers&w4=Laptop+computers&w

                  5=Portable+computer&w6=Discount+computer&c=6&s=145&.sig=g_p_guSlNA1yqIYHVVh-
                  > sA> room cleaning Computer

                  eaning&w2=Computer+lab+rental&w3=Notebook+computers&w4=Laptop+computers&w5=P

                  ortable+computer&w6=Discount+computer&c=6&s=145&.sig=cy1ijSTguSacR4qHiGqgQw>
                  > lab rental Notebook

                  aning&w2=Computer+lab+rental&w3=Notebook+computers&w4=Laptop+computers&w5=Po
                  > rtable+computer&w6=Discount+computer&c=6&s=145&.sig=zkc7StuZBgoMi2WqIbhJgg>
                  > computers
                  > Laptop

                  ing&w2=Computer+lab+rental&w3=Notebook+computers&w4=Laptop+computers&w5=Port
                  > able+computer&w6=Discount+computer&c=6&s=145&.sig=NCLDa4ex2WKEPUrMa0aajQ>
                  > computers Portable

                  ning&w2=Computer+lab+rental&w3=Notebook+computers&w4=Laptop+computers&w5=Por
                  > table+computer&w6=Discount+computer&c=6&s=145&.sig=0FAFkBCdwyYBvgx7iGXrpg>
                  > computer Discount

                  ning&w2=Computer+lab+rental&w3=Notebook+computers&w4=Laptop+computers&w5=Por
                  > table+computer&w6=Discount+computer&c=6&s=145&.sig=rG6J5NQf0wGkZm8Q99dcHw>
                  > computer
                  >
                  > _____
                  >
                  > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                  >

                  > * Visit your group "midatlanticretro

                  > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                  >

                  > _____

                • Evan
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 29, 2005
                    LOL, not in person it doesn't!

                    Been looking for my copy of Mike's book.  I know what box I put it in after the InfoAge event, but now I can't find that box.  Continuing to tear apart my apartment.

                    href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro> " on the web.

                    > *      Your use
                    of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service