Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Minicomputers

    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 5, 2009
      Second reply to my own message. :)

      This exhibit could also include our PC Jr., maybe some of Mark's OS/2 stuff, etc.

      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 5, 2009
        > I should know the answer to this question, but I don't: which"office"
        > programs were common for small DEC systems? Would our 11/05 be a good
        > fit for this exhibit, or did those kinds of app only run on DECmate, etc.?

        The PDP-8 line evolved into machines which were primarally targeted at
        word processing/office tasks. WPS was the word processor used on
        them. I can loan a working DECmate or possibly 8/A system if you want. They
        could be used standalone or with a VAX or other larger DEC system for
        central storage. WPS or something similar was also available for the
        VAX using serial terminals for
        word processing. I assume 11's also had it but don't have enough knowledge.
        Office applications were also sold for the later larger PDP-8's such as
        the 8/A. Not sure if WPS or similar was around in the 8/E timeframe.
        The brain cells are mostly gone but when I joined my current company the
        computing was a central VAX 780 with VT100 type terminals. I don't remember
        the details but know I wrote reports on it. Also created graphic slides with
        an HP plotter on it then xeroxed onto transparencies to use with the overhead
        projector for meetings.
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 5, 2009
          Lots of good info. Thank you.

          Loan offer is appreciated but we should first try to use our own stuff. How else will we keep Degnan occupied with restorations? :)

          There's also a guy locally (not in MARCH) who keeps threatening to donate an 8/A, but we have so much '11 and VAX stuff that I would rather use some of that first.

          > I should know the answer to this question, but I don't: which"office"
          > programs were common for small DEC systems? Would our 11/05 be a good
          > fit for this exhibit, or did those kinds of app only run on DECmate, etc.?

          The PDP-8 line evolved into machines which were primarally targeted at
          word processing/office tasks. WPS was the word processor used on
          them. I can loan a working DECmate or possibly 8/A system if you want. They
          could be used standalone or with a VAX or other larger DEC system for
          central storage. WPS or something similar was also available for the
          VAX using serial terminals for
          word processing. I assume 11's also had it but don't have enough knowledge.
          Office applications were also sold for the later larger PDP-8's such as
          the 8/A. Not sure if WPS or similar was around in the 8/E timeframe.
          The brain cells are mostly gone but when I joined my current company the
          computing was a central VAX 780 with VT100 type terminals. I don't remember
          the details but know I wrote reports on it. Also created graphic slides with
          an HP plotter on it then xeroxed onto transparencies to use with the overhead
          projector for meetings.

        • fairlanefastback
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 5, 2009
            I loved Ancient Art of War for the PC jr. :)

            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 5, 2009
              What?? Dude keep it on-topic.

              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 5, 2009
                Heh you're the one that mentioned PC-jr. Its not a mini-computer. Get over yourself already.

                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 5, 2009
                  The Jr. was mentioned in the context of a DIFFERENT exhibit. So learn to read before telling me to "get over" myself.

                  Also, my interface to our Yahoo group contains a "ban" button. Yours doesn't. Feel free to make me use it.

                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 5, 2009
                    And my comment was in the context of something you specifically mentioned and was entirely innocuous. If that shifted people into a separate conversation about the Pc-jr the subject line could just shift to be more accurate. And its an on-topic machine. Whats the issue really Evan? Because it hardly seemed to be about whether PC-jr is on topic or not. And I certainly did not mean anything negative in that post. But you come raining down it felt like anyway, not sure why.

                    If I do something you feel warrants banning me thats your prerogative. Its your Yahoo! group. I'm well aware of that. Though I don't quite get why you'd invite me to do something to be banned. That sounds like you are looking to escalate something that should not have even been a problem in the first place. Oh well. :(