Re: [midatlanticretro] Minicomputers

  • Joe Giliberti
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 3, 2009
      If nothing turns up, you could always place a display case containing related materials and items

      Joe

      On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 12:08 AM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

      I asked this a few weeks ago, thought I'd ask again: does anyone have an interesting minicomputer that could be exhibited in our museum as a long-term loan?

      Currently we have for display:
      - DEC PDP-8
      - DEC PDP-11/20 (and various other 11 series)
      - Perkin-Elmer (not sure which model)
      - Burroughs B-80
      - Soon: an undetermined IBM 30-series from Mike Ross

      We have room to exhibit one more large system.  There's always our VAX stuff, but we don't want the exhibit to be too DEC-centric.

    • Brian Cirulnick
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 4, 2009

        > I asked this a few weeks ago, thought I'd ask again: does anyone have an
        > interesting minicomputer that could be exhibited in our museum as a
        > long-term loan?
        >
        > Currently we have for display:
        > - DEC PDP-8
        > - DEC PDP-11/20 (and various other 11 series)
        > - Perkin-Elmer (not sure which model)
        > - Burroughs B-80
        > - Soon: an undetermined IBM 30-series from Mike Ross

        ---------------

        I have a SUN 3/160... but it's not very interesting.

        However, what might make it interesting is that I have a pretty good collection of VME cards to go with it. Hang a few large cards around it that are populated by dozens of individual chips and components, and it might make an attractive display.

        I also have an SGI Personal Iris, but again, not very interesting.

        Regardless, both are available for long term loan if you want 'em -- but since the term "minicomputer" is not precisely defined (which is what sidetracked your original request), they might not be considered minicomputers by some.

        ttyl
        Brian C.
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 4, 2009
          Thanks, but too new. :)

          > I asked this a few weeks ago, thought I'd ask again: does anyone have an
          > interesting minicomputer that could be exhibited in our museum as a
          > long-term loan?
          >
          > Currently we have for display:
          > - DEC PDP-8
          > - DEC PDP-11/20 (and various other 11 series)
          > - Perkin-Elmer (not sure which model)
          > - Burroughs B-80
          > - Soon: an undetermined IBM 30-series from Mike Ross

          ---------------

          I have a SUN 3/160... but it's not very interesting.

          However, what might make it interesting is that I have a pretty good collection of VME cards to go with it. Hang a few large cards around it that are populated by dozens of individual chips and components, and it might make an attractive display.

          I also have an SGI Personal Iris, but again, not very interesting.

          Regardless, both are available for long term loan if you want 'em -- but since the term "minicomputer" is not precisely defined (which is what sidetracked your original request), they might not be considered minicomputers by some.

          ttyl
          Brian C.

        • Sridhar Ayengar
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 4, 2009
            Evan Koblentz wrote:
            > I asked this a few weeks ago, thought I'd ask again: does anyone have an
            > interesting minicomputer that could be exhibited in our museum as a
            > long-term loan?
            >
            > Currently we have for display:
            > - DEC PDP-8
            > - DEC PDP-11/20 (and various other 11 series)
            > - Perkin-Elmer (not sure which model)
            > - Burroughs B-80
            > - Soon: an undetermined IBM 30-series from Mike Ross
            >
            > We have room to exhibit one more large system. There's always our VAX
            > stuff, but we don't want the exhibit to be too DEC-centric.

            Hmm. The one I would have available is a DEC. A DECdatasystem 570, to
            be specific.

            Peace... Sridhar
          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 4, 2009
              Something on my wish list is a HP 1000 system. Something like a 2113F
              or a 2117F. If any of you guys runs across one which is reasonably
              complete, let me know. I had the opportunity to trade for one recently,
              but it was missing too many pieces.

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
            • Sridhar Ayengar
              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 4, 2009
                Evan Koblentz wrote:
                > Thanks, but too new. :)

                Huh? That machine is 23 years old.

                Peace... Sridhar

                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 4, 2009
                  Evan,

                  Rather than another mini, how about the Xerox 860 multi-user word
                  processor? The donor claimed that it works. This gets us into another
                  category, and a more-or-less east coast company. We have the software
                  and documentation.

                  Jim

                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 4, 2009
                    What about it? That system is interesting but I was asking about the
                    specific exhibit on minis.

                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 4, 2009
                      well, there are things that go along with the minis, like teletypes, storage media, etc.

                      Does Claude Kagan have anything in the big barn of his that he'd donate thats relevant?

                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 4, 2009
                        Message
                        Yup.

                        Claude gave us the PDP-8 w/ ASR-33 and plotter ..... I'd say that is pretty friggin relevant!

                        But I suppose we could rearrange the furniture in this exhibit.  For example, instead of having the teletype and plotter just with the 8, we could put those items in the center of everything, sort of depicting a control desk .... then again that * particular * teletype and plotter are from the RESISTORS club so there's a strong argument for leaving them all together.

                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 4, 2009
                          I was asking if he has anything else, though I do see that I did not include "else" in the first email. Of course I know about the 8 and the asr33, I was there to help pick them up!

                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 4, 2009
                            Message
                            Hmm .... maybe David G. remembers what else is in there.  I don't.

                            The huge-ass Burroughs mainframe is going to the Computer History Museum out in the "Silly Con" valley.  CHM is equiped with the funds, know-how, and staff to handle it.  MARCH is not.

                            If anyone's wondering, I endorsed that idea, and Claude thanked me for considering the best interests of the machine, rather than the best interests of MARCH.

                            Message 13 of 27 , Mar 4, 2009
                              [sarcasm]
                              We could ask Claude if he could be an exhibit/guide.
                              [/sarcasm]

                              [serious]
                              just a random thought here. Perhaps we could have a section in one of the rooms, just a single wall, featuring framed articles of significant contributors to the field, perhaps with a short bio, their contributions to history, and a picture of them of some sort. A rudimentary "Computer History Hall Of Fame"
                              It wouldn't require much financial expenditure, just some research and word.

                              Message 14 of 27 , Mar 4, 2009
                                Message
                                >>> A rudimentary "Computer History Hall Of Fame". It wouldn't require much financial expenditure, just some research and word

                                That's a possibility.  There are a LOT of people to include.

                                Another "wall exhibit" -- maybe for our hallway wall, rather than inside a room -- is to have the hallway wall lined with on-topic posters, t-shirts, copies of important documents, etc. -- anything that can be easily framed.  That "computer culture" exhibit could also be inside one of the small rooms if Fred vetos our use of the hallway walls.
                                Message 15 of 27 , Mar 5, 2009
                                  Isn't a small multi-user machine the definition of a mini? The 860 is a
                                  mini in a desk-side pedestal the size of a uVAX II, or a DEC, Sun or HP
                                  workstation. Besides, I want to see that machine work. I believe it has
                                  a graphical interface.

                                  Jim

                                  Evan Koblentz wrote:

                                  > What about it? That system is interesting but I was asking about the
                                  > specific exhibit on minis.

                                • Brian Cirulnick
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Mar 5, 2009
                                    --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Jim Scheef <scheefj@...> wrote:

                                    > Isn't a small multi-user machine the definition of a mini?
                                    -----------------

                                    Then every unix machine, regardless of size, would be a mini.

                                    Wasn't there a multi-post argument last week about what a mini is or isn't? And I believe the end result was that no one could agree on what a mini is, other than "larger than a micro, but smaller than a mainframe".

                                    Admittedly, having never seen the machine in question, I'm not going to argue for or against it, but, if it's got it's own screen and keyboard to provide a GUI, is it really a multi-user machine (unless it's providing a GUI via multiple serial terminals, in which case, that *is* unique (and interesting))??

                                    Regardless, it sounds like an interesting machine, but is it the right fit for this exhibit?

                                    ttyl
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Mar 5, 2009
                                      >>> Then every unix machine, regardless of size, would be a mini ... an interesting machine, but is it the right fit for this exhibit?

                                      I vote "no" ... this particular exhibit should be about "traditional" minicomputers....

                                      I think the 860 is ideal for our upcoming "Artifact of the Month" exhibit, or for some future exhibit that focuses on office apps.

                                      Actually the latter isn't a bad idea. Most of our visitors will know MS Office. We can show them the 860, Visicalc, Lotus 1-2-3, AppleWorks, etc. ... what other software/hardware combinations should be considered the most historic / most relevant of this exhibit?
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Mar 5, 2009
                                        I should know the answer to this question, but I don't: which"office" programs were common for small DEC systems? Would our 11/05 be a good fit for this exhibit, or did those kinds of app only run on DECmate, etc.?

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Mar 5, 2009
                                          Second reply to my own message. :)

                                          This exhibit could also include our PC Jr., maybe some of Mark's OS/2 stuff, etc.

                                          >>> Then every unix machine, regardless of size, would be a mini ... an interesting machine, but is it the right fit for this exhibit?

                                          I vote "no" ... this particular exhibit should be about "traditional" minicomputers....

                                          I think the 860 is ideal for our upcoming "Artifact of the Month" exhibit, or for some future exhibit that focuses on office apps.

                                          Actually the latter isn't a bad idea. Most of our visitors will know MS Office. We can show them the 860, Visicalc, Lotus 1-2-3, AppleWorks, etc. ... what other software/hardware combinations should be considered the most historic / most relevant of this exhibit?

                                        • David Gesswein
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Mar 5, 2009
                                            > I should know the answer to this question, but I don't: which"office"
                                            > programs were common for small DEC systems? Would our 11/05 be a good
                                            > fit for this exhibit, or did those kinds of app only run on DECmate, etc.?

                                            The PDP-8 line evolved into machines which were primarally targeted at
                                            word processing/office tasks. WPS was the word processor used on
                                            them. I can loan a working DECmate or possibly 8/A system if you want. They
                                            could be used standalone or with a VAX or other larger DEC system for
                                            central storage. WPS or something similar was also available for the
                                            VAX using serial terminals for
                                            word processing. I assume 11's also had it but don't have enough knowledge.
                                            Office applications were also sold for the later larger PDP-8's such as
                                            the 8/A. Not sure if WPS or similar was around in the 8/E timeframe.
                                            The brain cells are mostly gone but when I joined my current company the
                                            computing was a central VAX 780 with VT100 type terminals. I don't remember
                                            the details but know I wrote reports on it. Also created graphic slides with
                                            an HP plotter on it then xeroxed onto transparencies to use with the overhead
                                            projector for meetings.
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Mar 5, 2009
                                              Lots of good info. Thank you.

                                              Loan offer is appreciated but we should first try to use our own stuff. How else will we keep Degnan occupied with restorations? :)

                                              There's also a guy locally (not in MARCH) who keeps threatening to donate an 8/A, but we have so much '11 and VAX stuff that I would rather use some of that first.

                                              > I should know the answer to this question, but I don't: which"office"
                                              > programs were common for small DEC systems? Would our 11/05 be a good
                                              > fit for this exhibit, or did those kinds of app only run on DECmate, etc.?

                                              The PDP-8 line evolved into machines which were primarally targeted at
                                              word processing/office tasks. WPS was the word processor used on
                                              them. I can loan a working DECmate or possibly 8/A system if you want. They
                                              could be used standalone or with a VAX or other larger DEC system for
                                              central storage. WPS or something similar was also available for the
                                              VAX using serial terminals for
                                              word processing. I assume 11's also had it but don't have enough knowledge.
                                              Office applications were also sold for the later larger PDP-8's such as
                                              the 8/A. Not sure if WPS or similar was around in the 8/E timeframe.
                                              The brain cells are mostly gone but when I joined my current company the
                                              computing was a central VAX 780 with VT100 type terminals. I don't remember
                                              the details but know I wrote reports on it. Also created graphic slides with
                                              an HP plotter on it then xeroxed onto transparencies to use with the overhead
                                              projector for meetings.

                                            • fairlanefastback
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Mar 5, 2009
                                                I loved Ancient Art of War for the PC jr. :)

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Mar 5, 2009
                                                  What?? Dude keep it on-topic.

                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Mar 5, 2009
                                                    Heh you're the one that mentioned PC-jr. Its not a mini-computer. Get over yourself already.

                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Mar 5, 2009
                                                      The Jr. was mentioned in the context of a DIFFERENT exhibit. So learn to read before telling me to "get over" myself.

                                                      Also, my interface to our Yahoo group contains a "ban" button. Yours doesn't. Feel free to make me use it.

                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Mar 5, 2009
                                                        And my comment was in the context of something you specifically mentioned and was entirely innocuous. If that shifted people into a separate conversation about the Pc-jr the subject line could just shift to be more accurate. And its an on-topic machine. Whats the issue really Evan? Because it hardly seemed to be about whether PC-jr is on topic or not. And I certainly did not mean anything negative in that post. But you come raining down it felt like anyway, not sure why.

                                                        If I do something you feel warrants banning me thats your prerogative. Its your Yahoo! group. I'm well aware of that. Though I don't quite get why you'd invite me to do something to be banned. That sounds like you are looking to escalate something that should not have even been a problem in the first place. Oh well. :(