RE: [midatlanticretro] Re: IMSAI for sale

  • Bill Sudbrink
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
      I just went and looked in the cctalk archive and can't find it...
      maybe I'm mixing up two conversations. Anyway, if you look closely
      at the paint on some of the old boxes, you will note that there is
      a texture... a sort of spattered variation in paint thickness. This
      is achieved by spraying the paint through a two nozzled air brush.
      The one that causes the spatters or speckles is the speckle aperture.
      Adjusting the speckle aperture size changes the texture.

      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
        >>> Have any of you other IMSAI guys repainted yours? Rich, Vince, Bill?
        Color and type of
        paint?

        Vince isn't on our list.
      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
          On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Evan Koblentz wrote:

          > Color and type of
          > paint?
          >
          > Vince isn't on our list.

          Convene the oversight comittee!

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        • fairlanefastback
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
            Thanks pretty interesting. Thanks! :)

            <wh.sudbrink@...> wrote:

            > I just went and looked in the cctalk archive and can't find it...
            > maybe I'm mixing up two conversations. Anyway, if you look closely
            > at the paint on some of the old boxes, you will note that there is
            > a texture... a sort of spattered variation in paint thickness. This
            > is achieved by spraying the paint through a two nozzled air brush.
            > The one that causes the spatters or speckles is the speckle aperture.
            > Adjusting the speckle aperture size changes the texture.

          • Dan Roganti
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009

              Mike Loewen wrote:
                  Thanks, Evan, for looking out for us.  :-)  I never see this kind
              of stuff in my area.

              Great catch Mike !
              I remember you saying you were on the hunt for an Imsai. I'm glad you found one now. I'll have to bring mine when I visit your place.
              From looking at the pics, it definitely seems it was left in some undesirable location. You'll want to check the pins too in the S-100 connectors for any oxidation and weak spring tension. Mine still has good paint after 33yrs. Even the same Caps are still humming along <grin> But mine needs some new paddles as I broke some, they still hang on for now to let me toggle the switches.

              =Dan