RE: [midatlanticretro] IMSAI for sale

  • Mike Loewen
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
      On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Bill Sudbrink wrote:

      > Ouch! That hurts to look at... the insides don't look too bad though.

      I should probably strip and repaint the case (top). Have any of you
      other IMSAI guys repainted yours? Rich, Vince, Bill? Color and type of
      paint?

      > I wonder why the CPU on the Cromemco ZPU is up on its own little
      > card?

      Dunno - I'll take more pictures when I get it.

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
        Mike Loewen wrote:
        > On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
        >

        >> Ouch! That hurts to look at... the insides don't look too bad though.
        >>

        > I should probably strip and repaint the case (top). Have any of you
        > other IMSAI guys repainted yours? Rich, Vince, Bill? Color and type of
        > paint?

        I would CLR it first. Starting from the inside of the cover just in
        case it causes problems. You can have the paint matched at Sherwin
        Williams or similar paint store.
        Bill
      • Bill Sudbrink
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
          Mike Loewen wrote:
          > On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
          >
          > > Ouch! That hurts to look at... the insides don't look too bad though.
          >
          > I should probably strip and repaint the case (top). Have any of you
          > other IMSAI guys repainted yours? Rich, Vince, Bill? Color and type of
          > paint?

          I've never repainted mine. However, if you look waaaaaay back in the cctalk
          archives, Sellam offered an IMSAI as either a door prize or an award at VCF
          uh... 3, I think. There was a thread on cctalk about the correct paint. Got
          down to the color codes and the speckle aperture as I recall.
        • Bill Sudbrink
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
            Bill Sudbrink wrote:

            > Mike Loewen wrote:
            > > On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
            > >
            > > > Ouch! That hurts to look at... the insides don't look too bad though.
            > >
            > > I should probably strip and repaint the case (top). Have any of you
            > > other IMSAI guys repainted yours? Rich, Vince, Bill? Color and type of
            > > paint?
            >
            > I've never repainted mine. However, if you look waaaaaay back in the cctalk
            > archives, Sellam offered an IMSAI as either a door prize or an award at VCF
            > uh... 3, I think. There was a thread on cctalk about the correct paint. Got
            > down to the color codes and the speckle aperture as I recall.

            One should always google before one posts. It was VCF 2.0.
          • fairlanefastback
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
              What is speckle aperture? I've heard of car buffs taking original
              paint codes seriously. But never heard of speckle aperture before in
              any classic car forum. Sounds very serious! lol

              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Sudbrink"

              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
                I just went and looked in the cctalk archive and can't find it...
                maybe I'm mixing up two conversations. Anyway, if you look closely
                at the paint on some of the old boxes, you will note that there is
                a texture... a sort of spattered variation in paint thickness. This
                is achieved by spraying the paint through a two nozzled air brush.
                The one that causes the spatters or speckles is the speckle aperture.
                Adjusting the speckle aperture size changes the texture.

                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
                  >>> Have any of you other IMSAI guys repainted yours? Rich, Vince, Bill?
                  Color and type of
                  paint?

                  Vince isn't on our list.
                • Mike Loewen
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
                    On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                    > Color and type of
                    > paint?
                    >
                    > Vince isn't on our list.

                    Convene the oversight comittee!

                    Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                  • fairlanefastback
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
                      Thanks pretty interesting. Thanks! :)

                      <wh.sudbrink@...> wrote:

                      > I just went and looked in the cctalk archive and can't find it...
                      > maybe I'm mixing up two conversations. Anyway, if you look closely
                      > at the paint on some of the old boxes, you will note that there is
                      > a texture... a sort of spattered variation in paint thickness. This
                      > is achieved by spraying the paint through a two nozzled air brush.
                      > The one that causes the spatters or speckles is the speckle aperture.
                      > Adjusting the speckle aperture size changes the texture.

                    • Dan Roganti
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009

                        Mike Loewen wrote:
                            Thanks, Evan, for looking out for us.  :-)  I never see this kind
                        of stuff in my area.

                        Great catch Mike !
                        I remember you saying you were on the hunt for an Imsai. I'm glad you found one now. I'll have to bring mine when I visit your place.
                        From looking at the pics, it definitely seems it was left in some undesirable location. You'll want to check the pins too in the S-100 connectors for any oxidation and weak spring tension. Mine still has good paint after 33yrs. Even the same Caps are still humming along <grin> But mine needs some new paddles as I broke some, they still hang on for now to let me toggle the switches.

                        =Dan