Re: [midatlanticretro] IMSAI for sale

    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
      >>> A $200 IMSAI 8080 is a super duper bargain

      Yup. Big thanks to Dave Sica for spotting this on Craigslist!
    • Bill Sudbrink
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
        Ouch! That hurts to look at... the insides don't look too bad though.
        I wonder why the CPU on the Cromemco ZPU is up on its own little
        card?

      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
          On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Bill Sudbrink wrote:

          > Ouch! That hurts to look at... the insides don't look too bad though.

          I should probably strip and repaint the case (top). Have any of you
          other IMSAI guys repainted yours? Rich, Vince, Bill? Color and type of
          paint?

          > I wonder why the CPU on the Cromemco ZPU is up on its own little
          > card?

          Dunno - I'll take more pictures when I get it.

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
            Mike Loewen wrote:
            > On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
            >

            >> Ouch! That hurts to look at... the insides don't look too bad though.
            >>

            > I should probably strip and repaint the case (top). Have any of you
            > other IMSAI guys repainted yours? Rich, Vince, Bill? Color and type of
            > paint?

            I would CLR it first. Starting from the inside of the cover just in
            case it causes problems. You can have the paint matched at Sherwin
            Williams or similar paint store.
            Bill
          • Bill Sudbrink
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
              Mike Loewen wrote:
              > On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
              >
              > > Ouch! That hurts to look at... the insides don't look too bad though.
              >
              > I should probably strip and repaint the case (top). Have any of you
              > other IMSAI guys repainted yours? Rich, Vince, Bill? Color and type of
              > paint?

              I've never repainted mine. However, if you look waaaaaay back in the cctalk
              archives, Sellam offered an IMSAI as either a door prize or an award at VCF
              uh... 3, I think. There was a thread on cctalk about the correct paint. Got
              down to the color codes and the speckle aperture as I recall.
            • Bill Sudbrink
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
                Bill Sudbrink wrote:

                > Mike Loewen wrote:
                > > On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
                > >
                > > > Ouch! That hurts to look at... the insides don't look too bad though.
                > >
                > > I should probably strip and repaint the case (top). Have any of you
                > > other IMSAI guys repainted yours? Rich, Vince, Bill? Color and type of
                > > paint?
                >
                > I've never repainted mine. However, if you look waaaaaay back in the cctalk
                > archives, Sellam offered an IMSAI as either a door prize or an award at VCF
                > uh... 3, I think. There was a thread on cctalk about the correct paint. Got
                > down to the color codes and the speckle aperture as I recall.

                One should always google before one posts. It was VCF 2.0.
              • fairlanefastback
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
                  What is speckle aperture? I've heard of car buffs taking original
                  paint codes seriously. But never heard of speckle aperture before in
                  any classic car forum. Sounds very serious! lol

                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Sudbrink"

                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
                    I just went and looked in the cctalk archive and can't find it...
                    maybe I'm mixing up two conversations. Anyway, if you look closely
                    at the paint on some of the old boxes, you will note that there is
                    a texture... a sort of spattered variation in paint thickness. This
                    is achieved by spraying the paint through a two nozzled air brush.
                    The one that causes the spatters or speckles is the speckle aperture.
                    Adjusting the speckle aperture size changes the texture.

                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
                      >>> Have any of you other IMSAI guys repainted yours? Rich, Vince, Bill?
                      Color and type of
                      paint?

                      Vince isn't on our list.
                    • Mike Loewen
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
                        On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                        > Color and type of
                        > paint?
                        >
                        > Vince isn't on our list.

                        Convene the oversight comittee!

                        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                      • fairlanefastback
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
                          Thanks pretty interesting. Thanks! :)

                          <wh.sudbrink@...> wrote:

                          > I just went and looked in the cctalk archive and can't find it...
                          > maybe I'm mixing up two conversations. Anyway, if you look closely
                          > at the paint on some of the old boxes, you will note that there is
                          > a texture... a sort of spattered variation in paint thickness. This
                          > is achieved by spraying the paint through a two nozzled air brush.
                          > The one that causes the spatters or speckles is the speckle aperture.
                          > Adjusting the speckle aperture size changes the texture.

                        • Dan Roganti
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009

                            Mike Loewen wrote:
                                Thanks, Evan, for looking out for us.  :-)  I never see this kind
                            of stuff in my area.

                            Great catch Mike !
                            I remember you saying you were on the hunt for an Imsai. I'm glad you found one now. I'll have to bring mine when I visit your place.
                            From looking at the pics, it definitely seems it was left in some undesirable location. You'll want to check the pins too in the S-100 connectors for any oxidation and weak spring tension. Mine still has good paint after 33yrs. Even the same Caps are still humming along <grin> But mine needs some new paddles as I broke some, they still hang on for now to let me toggle the switches.

                            =Dan