Re: [midatlanticretro] IMSAI for sale

    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
      Mike Loewen wrote:
      On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, B Degnan wrote:

      A $200 IMSAI 8080 is a super duper bargain

          The case is in rough shape:

      http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/P1010252.JPG
      http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/P1010253.JPG

          ...but you're right - it's a bargain.
      It's starting to merge with the basement, get it out of there!....I got one a year or so ago for $300 (not working) and although it's not running yet, eventually these things can be recovered.  You just have to believe.

      Bill
    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
        On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, B Degnan wrote:

        > It's starting to merge with the basement, get it out of there!....I got one a
        > year or so ago for $300 (not working) and although it's not running yet,
        > eventually these things can be recovered. You just have to believe.

        I'm confident. It will give me a chance to play with some more of my
        toys: dual-channel oscilloscope, 80-channel logic analyzer and frequency
        counter. :-)

        I put in a couple of hours on my 029 keypunch yesterday and made a
        little progress. After cleaning up all the wire-contact relays and
        open-contact switches, it now feeds and registers cards. Still won't run
        a master-clear cycle or punch cards, but that's more than it did when I
        got it.

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
          >>> A $200 IMSAI 8080 is a super duper bargain

          Yup. Big thanks to Dave Sica for spotting this on Craigslist!
        • Bill Sudbrink
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
            Ouch! That hurts to look at... the insides don't look too bad though.
            I wonder why the CPU on the Cromemco ZPU is up on its own little
            card?

          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
              On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Bill Sudbrink wrote:

              > Ouch! That hurts to look at... the insides don't look too bad though.

              I should probably strip and repaint the case (top). Have any of you
              other IMSAI guys repainted yours? Rich, Vince, Bill? Color and type of
              paint?

              > I wonder why the CPU on the Cromemco ZPU is up on its own little
              > card?

              Dunno - I'll take more pictures when I get it.

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
                Mike Loewen wrote:
                > On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
                >

                >> Ouch! That hurts to look at... the insides don't look too bad though.
                >>

                > I should probably strip and repaint the case (top). Have any of you
                > other IMSAI guys repainted yours? Rich, Vince, Bill? Color and type of
                > paint?

                I would CLR it first. Starting from the inside of the cover just in
                case it causes problems. You can have the paint matched at Sherwin
                Williams or similar paint store.
                Bill
              • Bill Sudbrink
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
                  Mike Loewen wrote:
                  > On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
                  >
                  > > Ouch! That hurts to look at... the insides don't look too bad though.
                  >
                  > I should probably strip and repaint the case (top). Have any of you
                  > other IMSAI guys repainted yours? Rich, Vince, Bill? Color and type of
                  > paint?

                  I've never repainted mine. However, if you look waaaaaay back in the cctalk
                  archives, Sellam offered an IMSAI as either a door prize or an award at VCF
                  uh... 3, I think. There was a thread on cctalk about the correct paint. Got
                  down to the color codes and the speckle aperture as I recall.
                • Bill Sudbrink
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
                    Bill Sudbrink wrote:

                    > Mike Loewen wrote:
                    > > On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > Ouch! That hurts to look at... the insides don't look too bad though.
                    > >
                    > > I should probably strip and repaint the case (top). Have any of you
                    > > other IMSAI guys repainted yours? Rich, Vince, Bill? Color and type of
                    > > paint?
                    >
                    > I've never repainted mine. However, if you look waaaaaay back in the cctalk
                    > archives, Sellam offered an IMSAI as either a door prize or an award at VCF
                    > uh... 3, I think. There was a thread on cctalk about the correct paint. Got
                    > down to the color codes and the speckle aperture as I recall.

                    One should always google before one posts. It was VCF 2.0.
                  • fairlanefastback
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
                      What is speckle aperture? I've heard of car buffs taking original
                      paint codes seriously. But never heard of speckle aperture before in
                      any classic car forum. Sounds very serious! lol

                      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Sudbrink"

                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
                        I just went and looked in the cctalk archive and can't find it...
                        maybe I'm mixing up two conversations. Anyway, if you look closely
                        at the paint on some of the old boxes, you will note that there is
                        a texture... a sort of spattered variation in paint thickness. This
                        is achieved by spraying the paint through a two nozzled air brush.
                        The one that causes the spatters or speckles is the speckle aperture.
                        Adjusting the speckle aperture size changes the texture.

                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
                          >>> Have any of you other IMSAI guys repainted yours? Rich, Vince, Bill?
                          Color and type of
                          paint?

                          Vince isn't on our list.
                        • Mike Loewen
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
                            On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                            > Color and type of
                            > paint?
                            >
                            > Vince isn't on our list.

                            Convene the oversight comittee!

                            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                          • fairlanefastback
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
                              Thanks pretty interesting. Thanks! :)

                              <wh.sudbrink@...> wrote:

                              > I just went and looked in the cctalk archive and can't find it...
                              > maybe I'm mixing up two conversations. Anyway, if you look closely
                              > at the paint on some of the old boxes, you will note that there is
                              > a texture... a sort of spattered variation in paint thickness. This
                              > is achieved by spraying the paint through a two nozzled air brush.
                              > The one that causes the spatters or speckles is the speckle aperture.
                              > Adjusting the speckle aperture size changes the texture.

                            • Dan Roganti
                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009

                                Mike Loewen wrote:
                                    Thanks, Evan, for looking out for us.  :-)  I never see this kind
                                of stuff in my area.

                                Great catch Mike !
                                I remember you saying you were on the hunt for an Imsai. I'm glad you found one now. I'll have to bring mine when I visit your place.
                                From looking at the pics, it definitely seems it was left in some undesirable location. You'll want to check the pins too in the S-100 connectors for any oxidation and weak spring tension. Mine still has good paint after 33yrs. Even the same Caps are still humming along <grin> But mine needs some new paddles as I broke some, they still hang on for now to let me toggle the switches.

                                =Dan