Re: [midatlanticretro] IMSAI for sale

    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 2 4:47 AM
      A $200 IMSAI 8080 is a super duper bargain

      Evan Koblentz wrote:
      > Hi MARCHins. Please stop asking me off-list if this is sold yet. Remember,
      > it's not my computer, I only posted the ad!
      >
      > However, yes, it is sold. :) The buyer says it's fine to reveal his
      > name.......
      >
      > ....Mr. Michael Loewen, of Penn State fame.

    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 2 5:02 AM
        On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, B Degnan wrote:

        > A $200 IMSAI 8080 is a super duper bargain

        The case is in rough shape:

        http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/P1010252.JPG
        http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/P1010253.JPG

        ...but you're right - it's a bargain. I'm going to have to read up on
        re-forming electrolytic caps. Here's some other info he sent me:

        "The boards are:
        - Cromenco Z80 CPU board
        - Scitronics real-time clock board
        -- The BIOS I wrote for CP/M makes use of the clock but I'll be darned if
        I remember how!
        -- Probably needs a new battery
        - A serial/parallel board
        - A serial board that I made (wire-wrapped). It used the 8250 UART which
        was
        used by the original IBM PC at that time. A write-up of the board's design
        can be found in the June 1984 of
        Microsystems (Sol Libes magazine).
        - The Morrow Disk Jockey 2D/B.
        --The BIOS was modified so that an 8" double density floppy could hold
        about 1200KB instead of the standard 800 or 900 KB. When my friend and I
        made the change all the nerds that were our friends were amazed and
        proclaimed that it was all the storage anybody would ever need. Times have
        changed, right!"

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 2 5:17 AM
          Mike Loewen wrote:
          On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, B Degnan wrote:

          A $200 IMSAI 8080 is a super duper bargain

              The case is in rough shape:

          http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/P1010252.JPG
          http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/P1010253.JPG

              ...but you're right - it's a bargain.
          It's starting to merge with the basement, get it out of there!....I got one a year or so ago for $300 (not working) and although it's not running yet, eventually these things can be recovered.  You just have to believe.

          Bill
        • Mike Loewen
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 2 5:56 AM
            On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, B Degnan wrote:

            > It's starting to merge with the basement, get it out of there!....I got one a
            > year or so ago for $300 (not working) and although it's not running yet,
            > eventually these things can be recovered. You just have to believe.

            I'm confident. It will give me a chance to play with some more of my
            toys: dual-channel oscilloscope, 80-channel logic analyzer and frequency
            counter. :-)

            I put in a couple of hours on my 029 keypunch yesterday and made a
            little progress. After cleaning up all the wire-contact relays and
            open-contact switches, it now feeds and registers cards. Still won't run
            a master-clear cycle or punch cards, but that's more than it did when I
            got it.

            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 2 8:21 AM
              >>> A $200 IMSAI 8080 is a super duper bargain

              Yup. Big thanks to Dave Sica for spotting this on Craigslist!
            • Bill Sudbrink
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 2 11:12 AM
                Ouch! That hurts to look at... the insides don't look too bad though.
                I wonder why the CPU on the Cromemco ZPU is up on its own little
                card?

              • Mike Loewen
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 2 11:44 AM
                  On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Bill Sudbrink wrote:

                  > Ouch! That hurts to look at... the insides don't look too bad though.

                  I should probably strip and repaint the case (top). Have any of you
                  other IMSAI guys repainted yours? Rich, Vince, Bill? Color and type of
                  paint?

                  > I wonder why the CPU on the Cromemco ZPU is up on its own little
                  > card?

                  Dunno - I'll take more pictures when I get it.

                  Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 2 12:22 PM
                    Mike Loewen wrote:
                    > On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
                    >

                    >> Ouch! That hurts to look at... the insides don't look too bad though.
                    >>

                    > I should probably strip and repaint the case (top). Have any of you
                    > other IMSAI guys repainted yours? Rich, Vince, Bill? Color and type of
                    > paint?

                    I would CLR it first. Starting from the inside of the cover just in
                    case it causes problems. You can have the paint matched at Sherwin
                    Williams or similar paint store.
                    Bill
                  • Bill Sudbrink
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 2 12:23 PM
                      Mike Loewen wrote:
                      > On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
                      >
                      > > Ouch! That hurts to look at... the insides don't look too bad though.
                      >
                      > I should probably strip and repaint the case (top). Have any of you
                      > other IMSAI guys repainted yours? Rich, Vince, Bill? Color and type of
                      > paint?

                      I've never repainted mine. However, if you look waaaaaay back in the cctalk
                      archives, Sellam offered an IMSAI as either a door prize or an award at VCF
                      uh... 3, I think. There was a thread on cctalk about the correct paint. Got
                      down to the color codes and the speckle aperture as I recall.
                    • Bill Sudbrink
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 2 12:25 PM
                        Bill Sudbrink wrote:

                        > Mike Loewen wrote:
                        > > On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
                        > >
                        > > > Ouch! That hurts to look at... the insides don't look too bad though.
                        > >
                        > > I should probably strip and repaint the case (top). Have any of you
                        > > other IMSAI guys repainted yours? Rich, Vince, Bill? Color and type of
                        > > paint?
                        >
                        > I've never repainted mine. However, if you look waaaaaay back in the cctalk
                        > archives, Sellam offered an IMSAI as either a door prize or an award at VCF
                        > uh... 3, I think. There was a thread on cctalk about the correct paint. Got
                        > down to the color codes and the speckle aperture as I recall.

                        One should always google before one posts. It was VCF 2.0.
                      • fairlanefastback
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 2 1:27 PM
                          What is speckle aperture? I've heard of car buffs taking original
                          paint codes seriously. But never heard of speckle aperture before in
                          any classic car forum. Sounds very serious! lol

                          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Sudbrink"

                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 2 1:39 PM
                            I just went and looked in the cctalk archive and can't find it...
                            maybe I'm mixing up two conversations. Anyway, if you look closely
                            at the paint on some of the old boxes, you will note that there is
                            a texture... a sort of spattered variation in paint thickness. This
                            is achieved by spraying the paint through a two nozzled air brush.
                            The one that causes the spatters or speckles is the speckle aperture.
                            Adjusting the speckle aperture size changes the texture.

                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 2 1:49 PM
                              >>> Have any of you other IMSAI guys repainted yours? Rich, Vince, Bill?
                              Color and type of
                              paint?

                              Vince isn't on our list.
                            • Mike Loewen
                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 2 1:51 PM
                                On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                                > Color and type of
                                > paint?
                                >
                                > Vince isn't on our list.

                                Convene the oversight comittee!

                                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                              • fairlanefastback
                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 2 3:07 PM
                                  Thanks pretty interesting. Thanks! :)

                                  <wh.sudbrink@...> wrote:

                                  > I just went and looked in the cctalk archive and can't find it...
                                  > maybe I'm mixing up two conversations. Anyway, if you look closely
                                  > at the paint on some of the old boxes, you will note that there is
                                  > a texture... a sort of spattered variation in paint thickness. This
                                  > is achieved by spraying the paint through a two nozzled air brush.
                                  > The one that causes the spatters or speckles is the speckle aperture.
                                  > Adjusting the speckle aperture size changes the texture.

                                • Dan Roganti
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Mar 2 7:10 PM

                                    Mike Loewen wrote:
                                        Thanks, Evan, for looking out for us.  :-)  I never see this kind
                                    of stuff in my area.

                                    Great catch Mike !
                                    I remember you saying you were on the hunt for an Imsai. I'm glad you found one now. I'll have to bring mine when I visit your place.
                                    From looking at the pics, it definitely seems it was left in some undesirable location. You'll want to check the pins too in the S-100 connectors for any oxidation and weak spring tension. Mine still has good paint after 33yrs. Even the same Caps are still humming along <grin> But mine needs some new paddles as I broke some, they still hang on for now to let me toggle the switches.

                                    =Dan