RE: [midatlanticretro] IMSAI for sale

  • Mike Loewen
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 1 8:18 PM
      On Sun, 1 Mar 2009, Evan Koblentz wrote:

      > Hi MARCHins. Please stop asking me off-list if this is sold yet. Remember,
      > it's not my computer, I only posted the ad!
      >
      > However, yes, it is sold. :) The buyer says it's fine to reveal his
      > name.......
      >
      > ....Mr. Michael Loewen, of Penn State fame.

      Thanks, Evan, for looking out for us. :-) I never see this kind
      of stuff in my area.

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 2 4:47 AM
        A $200 IMSAI 8080 is a super duper bargain

        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 2 5:02 AM
          On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, B Degnan wrote:

          > A $200 IMSAI 8080 is a super duper bargain

          The case is in rough shape:

          http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/P1010252.JPG
          http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/P1010253.JPG

          ...but you're right - it's a bargain. I'm going to have to read up on
          re-forming electrolytic caps. Here's some other info he sent me:

          "The boards are:
          - Cromenco Z80 CPU board
          - Scitronics real-time clock board
          -- The BIOS I wrote for CP/M makes use of the clock but I'll be darned if
          I remember how!
          -- Probably needs a new battery
          - A serial/parallel board
          - A serial board that I made (wire-wrapped). It used the 8250 UART which
          was
          used by the original IBM PC at that time. A write-up of the board's design
          can be found in the June 1984 of
          Microsystems (Sol Libes magazine).
          - The Morrow Disk Jockey 2D/B.
          --The BIOS was modified so that an 8" double density floppy could hold
          about 1200KB instead of the standard 800 or 900 KB. When my friend and I
          made the change all the nerds that were our friends were amazed and
          proclaimed that it was all the storage anybody would ever need. Times have
          changed, right!"

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 2 5:17 AM
            Mike Loewen wrote:
            On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, B Degnan wrote:

            A $200 IMSAI 8080 is a super duper bargain

                The case is in rough shape:

            http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/P1010252.JPG
            http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/P1010253.JPG

                ...but you're right - it's a bargain.
            It's starting to merge with the basement, get it out of there!....I got one a year or so ago for $300 (not working) and although it's not running yet, eventually these things can be recovered.  You just have to believe.

            Bill
          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 2 5:56 AM
              On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, B Degnan wrote:

              > It's starting to merge with the basement, get it out of there!....I got one a
              > year or so ago for $300 (not working) and although it's not running yet,
              > eventually these things can be recovered. You just have to believe.

              I'm confident. It will give me a chance to play with some more of my
              toys: dual-channel oscilloscope, 80-channel logic analyzer and frequency
              counter. :-)

              I put in a couple of hours on my 029 keypunch yesterday and made a
              little progress. After cleaning up all the wire-contact relays and
              open-contact switches, it now feeds and registers cards. Still won't run
              a master-clear cycle or punch cards, but that's more than it did when I
              got it.

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 2 8:21 AM
                >>> A $200 IMSAI 8080 is a super duper bargain

                Yup. Big thanks to Dave Sica for spotting this on Craigslist!
              • Bill Sudbrink
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 2 11:12 AM
                  Ouch! That hurts to look at... the insides don't look too bad though.
                  I wonder why the CPU on the Cromemco ZPU is up on its own little
                  card?

                • Mike Loewen
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 2 11:44 AM
                    On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Bill Sudbrink wrote:

                    > Ouch! That hurts to look at... the insides don't look too bad though.

                    I should probably strip and repaint the case (top). Have any of you
                    other IMSAI guys repainted yours? Rich, Vince, Bill? Color and type of
                    paint?

                    > I wonder why the CPU on the Cromemco ZPU is up on its own little
                    > card?

                    Dunno - I'll take more pictures when I get it.

                    Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 2 12:22 PM
                      Mike Loewen wrote:
                      > On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
                      >

                      >> Ouch! That hurts to look at... the insides don't look too bad though.
                      >>

                      > I should probably strip and repaint the case (top). Have any of you
                      > other IMSAI guys repainted yours? Rich, Vince, Bill? Color and type of
                      > paint?

                      I would CLR it first. Starting from the inside of the cover just in
                      case it causes problems. You can have the paint matched at Sherwin
                      Williams or similar paint store.
                      Bill
                    • Bill Sudbrink
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 2 12:23 PM
                        Mike Loewen wrote:
                        > On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
                        >
                        > > Ouch! That hurts to look at... the insides don't look too bad though.
                        >
                        > I should probably strip and repaint the case (top). Have any of you
                        > other IMSAI guys repainted yours? Rich, Vince, Bill? Color and type of
                        > paint?

                        I've never repainted mine. However, if you look waaaaaay back in the cctalk
                        archives, Sellam offered an IMSAI as either a door prize or an award at VCF
                        uh... 3, I think. There was a thread on cctalk about the correct paint. Got
                        down to the color codes and the speckle aperture as I recall.
                      • Bill Sudbrink
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 2 12:25 PM
                          Bill Sudbrink wrote:

                          > Mike Loewen wrote:
                          > > On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > Ouch! That hurts to look at... the insides don't look too bad though.
                          > >
                          > > I should probably strip and repaint the case (top). Have any of you
                          > > other IMSAI guys repainted yours? Rich, Vince, Bill? Color and type of
                          > > paint?
                          >
                          > I've never repainted mine. However, if you look waaaaaay back in the cctalk
                          > archives, Sellam offered an IMSAI as either a door prize or an award at VCF
                          > uh... 3, I think. There was a thread on cctalk about the correct paint. Got
                          > down to the color codes and the speckle aperture as I recall.

                          One should always google before one posts. It was VCF 2.0.
                        • fairlanefastback
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 2 1:27 PM
                            What is speckle aperture? I've heard of car buffs taking original
                            paint codes seriously. But never heard of speckle aperture before in
                            any classic car forum. Sounds very serious! lol

                            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Sudbrink"

                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 2 1:39 PM
                              I just went and looked in the cctalk archive and can't find it...
                              maybe I'm mixing up two conversations. Anyway, if you look closely
                              at the paint on some of the old boxes, you will note that there is
                              a texture... a sort of spattered variation in paint thickness. This
                              is achieved by spraying the paint through a two nozzled air brush.
                              The one that causes the spatters or speckles is the speckle aperture.
                              Adjusting the speckle aperture size changes the texture.

                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 2 1:49 PM
                                >>> Have any of you other IMSAI guys repainted yours? Rich, Vince, Bill?
                                Color and type of
                                paint?

                                Vince isn't on our list.
                              • Mike Loewen
                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 2 1:51 PM
                                  On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                                  > Color and type of
                                  > paint?
                                  >
                                  > Vince isn't on our list.

                                  Convene the oversight comittee!

                                  Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                                • fairlanefastback
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Mar 2 3:07 PM
                                    Thanks pretty interesting. Thanks! :)

                                    <wh.sudbrink@...> wrote:

                                    > I just went and looked in the cctalk archive and can't find it...
                                    > maybe I'm mixing up two conversations. Anyway, if you look closely
                                    > at the paint on some of the old boxes, you will note that there is
                                    > a texture... a sort of spattered variation in paint thickness. This
                                    > is achieved by spraying the paint through a two nozzled air brush.
                                    > The one that causes the spatters or speckles is the speckle aperture.
                                    > Adjusting the speckle aperture size changes the texture.

                                  • Dan Roganti
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Mar 2 7:10 PM

                                      Mike Loewen wrote:
                                          Thanks, Evan, for looking out for us.  :-)  I never see this kind
                                      of stuff in my area.

                                      Great catch Mike !
                                      I remember you saying you were on the hunt for an Imsai. I'm glad you found one now. I'll have to bring mine when I visit your place.
                                      From looking at the pics, it definitely seems it was left in some undesirable location. You'll want to check the pins too in the S-100 connectors for any oxidation and weak spring tension. Mine still has good paint after 33yrs. Even the same Caps are still humming along <grin> But mine needs some new paddles as I broke some, they still hang on for now to let me toggle the switches.

                                      =Dan