RE: [midatlanticretro] IMSAI for sale

    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 1, 2009
      Hi MARCHins. Please stop asking me off-list if this is sold yet. Remember,
      it's not my computer, I only posted the ad!

      However, yes, it is sold. :) The buyer says it's fine to reveal his
      name.......

      ....Mr. Michael Loewen, of Penn State fame.

      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 1, 2009
        On Sun, 1 Mar 2009, Evan Koblentz wrote:

        > Hi MARCHins. Please stop asking me off-list if this is sold yet. Remember,
        > it's not my computer, I only posted the ad!
        >
        > However, yes, it is sold. :) The buyer says it's fine to reveal his
        > name.......
        >
        > ....Mr. Michael Loewen, of Penn State fame.

        Thanks, Evan, for looking out for us. :-) I never see this kind
        of stuff in my area.

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
          A $200 IMSAI 8080 is a super duper bargain

          Evan Koblentz wrote:
          > Hi MARCHins. Please stop asking me off-list if this is sold yet. Remember,
          > it's not my computer, I only posted the ad!
          >
          > However, yes, it is sold. :) The buyer says it's fine to reveal his
          > name.......
          >
          > ....Mr. Michael Loewen, of Penn State fame.

        • Mike Loewen
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
            On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, B Degnan wrote:

            > A $200 IMSAI 8080 is a super duper bargain

            The case is in rough shape:

            http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/P1010252.JPG
            http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/P1010253.JPG

            ...but you're right - it's a bargain. I'm going to have to read up on
            re-forming electrolytic caps. Here's some other info he sent me:

            "The boards are:
            - Cromenco Z80 CPU board
            - Scitronics real-time clock board
            -- The BIOS I wrote for CP/M makes use of the clock but I'll be darned if
            I remember how!
            -- Probably needs a new battery
            - A serial/parallel board
            - A serial board that I made (wire-wrapped). It used the 8250 UART which
            was
            used by the original IBM PC at that time. A write-up of the board's design
            can be found in the June 1984 of
            Microsystems (Sol Libes magazine).
            - The Morrow Disk Jockey 2D/B.
            --The BIOS was modified so that an 8" double density floppy could hold
            about 1200KB instead of the standard 800 or 900 KB. When my friend and I
            made the change all the nerds that were our friends were amazed and
            proclaimed that it was all the storage anybody would ever need. Times have
            changed, right!"

            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
              Mike Loewen wrote:
              On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, B Degnan wrote:

              A $200 IMSAI 8080 is a super duper bargain

                  The case is in rough shape:

              http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/P1010252.JPG
              http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/P1010253.JPG

                  ...but you're right - it's a bargain.
              It's starting to merge with the basement, get it out of there!....I got one a year or so ago for $300 (not working) and although it's not running yet, eventually these things can be recovered.  You just have to believe.

              Bill
            • Mike Loewen
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
                On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, B Degnan wrote:

                > It's starting to merge with the basement, get it out of there!....I got one a
                > year or so ago for $300 (not working) and although it's not running yet,
                > eventually these things can be recovered. You just have to believe.

                I'm confident. It will give me a chance to play with some more of my
                toys: dual-channel oscilloscope, 80-channel logic analyzer and frequency
                counter. :-)

                I put in a couple of hours on my 029 keypunch yesterday and made a
                little progress. After cleaning up all the wire-contact relays and
                open-contact switches, it now feeds and registers cards. Still won't run
                a master-clear cycle or punch cards, but that's more than it did when I
                got it.

                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
                  >>> A $200 IMSAI 8080 is a super duper bargain

                  Yup. Big thanks to Dave Sica for spotting this on Craigslist!
                • Bill Sudbrink
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
                    Ouch! That hurts to look at... the insides don't look too bad though.
                    I wonder why the CPU on the Cromemco ZPU is up on its own little
                    card?

                  • Mike Loewen
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
                      On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Bill Sudbrink wrote:

                      > Ouch! That hurts to look at... the insides don't look too bad though.

                      I should probably strip and repaint the case (top). Have any of you
                      other IMSAI guys repainted yours? Rich, Vince, Bill? Color and type of
                      paint?

                      > I wonder why the CPU on the Cromemco ZPU is up on its own little
                      > card?

                      Dunno - I'll take more pictures when I get it.

                      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
                        Mike Loewen wrote:
                        > On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
                        >

                        >> Ouch! That hurts to look at... the insides don't look too bad though.
                        >>

                        > I should probably strip and repaint the case (top). Have any of you
                        > other IMSAI guys repainted yours? Rich, Vince, Bill? Color and type of
                        > paint?

                        I would CLR it first. Starting from the inside of the cover just in
                        case it causes problems. You can have the paint matched at Sherwin
                        Williams or similar paint store.
                        Bill
                      • Bill Sudbrink
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
                          Mike Loewen wrote:
                          > On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
                          >
                          > > Ouch! That hurts to look at... the insides don't look too bad though.
                          >
                          > I should probably strip and repaint the case (top). Have any of you
                          > other IMSAI guys repainted yours? Rich, Vince, Bill? Color and type of
                          > paint?

                          I've never repainted mine. However, if you look waaaaaay back in the cctalk
                          archives, Sellam offered an IMSAI as either a door prize or an award at VCF
                          uh... 3, I think. There was a thread on cctalk about the correct paint. Got
                          down to the color codes and the speckle aperture as I recall.
                        • Bill Sudbrink
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
                            Bill Sudbrink wrote:

                            > Mike Loewen wrote:
                            > > On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
                            > >
                            > > > Ouch! That hurts to look at... the insides don't look too bad though.
                            > >
                            > > I should probably strip and repaint the case (top). Have any of you
                            > > other IMSAI guys repainted yours? Rich, Vince, Bill? Color and type of
                            > > paint?
                            >
                            > I've never repainted mine. However, if you look waaaaaay back in the cctalk
                            > archives, Sellam offered an IMSAI as either a door prize or an award at VCF
                            > uh... 3, I think. There was a thread on cctalk about the correct paint. Got
                            > down to the color codes and the speckle aperture as I recall.

                            One should always google before one posts. It was VCF 2.0.
                          • fairlanefastback
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
                              What is speckle aperture? I've heard of car buffs taking original
                              paint codes seriously. But never heard of speckle aperture before in
                              any classic car forum. Sounds very serious! lol

                              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Sudbrink"

                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
                                I just went and looked in the cctalk archive and can't find it...
                                maybe I'm mixing up two conversations. Anyway, if you look closely
                                at the paint on some of the old boxes, you will note that there is
                                a texture... a sort of spattered variation in paint thickness. This
                                is achieved by spraying the paint through a two nozzled air brush.
                                The one that causes the spatters or speckles is the speckle aperture.
                                Adjusting the speckle aperture size changes the texture.

                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
                                  >>> Have any of you other IMSAI guys repainted yours? Rich, Vince, Bill?
                                  Color and type of
                                  paint?

                                  Vince isn't on our list.
                                • Mike Loewen
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
                                    On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                                    > Color and type of
                                    > paint?
                                    >
                                    > Vince isn't on our list.

                                    Convene the oversight comittee!

                                    Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                                  • fairlanefastback
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009
                                      Thanks pretty interesting. Thanks! :)

                                      <wh.sudbrink@...> wrote:

                                      > I just went and looked in the cctalk archive and can't find it...
                                      > maybe I'm mixing up two conversations. Anyway, if you look closely
                                      > at the paint on some of the old boxes, you will note that there is
                                      > a texture... a sort of spattered variation in paint thickness. This
                                      > is achieved by spraying the paint through a two nozzled air brush.
                                      > The one that causes the spatters or speckles is the speckle aperture.
                                      > Adjusting the speckle aperture size changes the texture.

                                    • Dan Roganti
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Mar 2, 2009

                                        Mike Loewen wrote:
                                            Thanks, Evan, for looking out for us.  :-)  I never see this kind
                                        of stuff in my area.

                                        Great catch Mike !
                                        I remember you saying you were on the hunt for an Imsai. I'm glad you found one now. I'll have to bring mine when I visit your place.
                                        From looking at the pics, it definitely seems it was left in some undesirable location. You'll want to check the pins too in the S-100 connectors for any oxidation and weak spring tension. Mine still has good paint after 33yrs. Even the same Caps are still humming along <grin> But mine needs some new paddles as I broke some, they still hang on for now to let me toggle the switches.

                                        =Dan