System Source museum?

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1 6:05 PM
      Evan Koblentz wrote:
      > <!-- /* start of attachment style */ .ygrp-photo-title{ clear: both;
      > font-size: smaller; height: 15px; overflow: hidden; text-align:
      > center; width: 75px; } div.ygrp-photo{ background-position: center;
      > background-repeat: no-repeat; background-color: white; border: 1px
      > solid black; height: 62px; width: 62px; } div.photo-title a,
      > div.photo-title a:active, div.photo-title a:hover, div.photo-title
      > a:visited { text-decoration: none; } div.attach-table div.attach-row {
      > clear: both; } div.attach-table div.attach-row div { float: left; /*
      > margin: 2px;*/ } p { clear: both; padding: 15px 0 3px 0; overflow:
      > hidden; } p span { color: #628C2A; } div.ygrp-file { width: 30px;
      > valign: middle; } div.attach-table div.attach-row div div a {
      > text-decoration: none; } div.attach-table div.attach-row div div span
      > { font-weight: normal; } div.ygrp-file-title { font-weight: bold; } /*
      > end of attachment style */ -->
      > I haven't counted in the past two years, but in 2006-2007 there were
      > 15-ish "real" computer museums in the U.S. .... I don't count private
      > collections other than Bruce Damer's Digibarn. I also don't count
      > organizations that have a display case or two and call it a museum
      > (sorry, Bill & U. of Delaware!), nor the zillions of sites whose
      > owners claim to be a "museum" and who say, "Sure, someday I plan to
      > get a building and blah blah blah" .....
      I never counted the U of D as a museum either, FYI. A display case doth
      not a museum make.

      I realize that Evan and I have a healthy difference of opinion BUT here
      is my 2 cents:

      System Source is bigger than most "traditional" museums. It's always
      open to the public. It has professional exhibits, it has media/audio
      presentations as part of the layout. It has more "clean" computers in
      exhibits than any museum I have been to or seen online except for
      Digibarn and the Computer History Museum and few others. Plenty of docs
      and paper on dispaly too. Don't let the web site limit your
      expectations (http://www.syssrc.com/html/museum/). They have a larger
      inventory than MARCH. Whatever you call it, it's still worth the trip
      if for only the awe factor. BUT - I don't need to call it a museum in
      the traditional sense to claim it's worth the trip. I agree that a
      private collection that is housed within the business/work space is not
      a traditional museum, but what musuem has a working linotype machine on
      site? They needed a tractor trailer to haul and install the thing (I
      helped). PLUS they have pallets of unopened IMSAIs, Cromemcos, etc

      If you live in the southern MidAtlantic, it's by far the largest
      collection of vintage computers you'll ever see. Prove me wrong - see
      for yourself :-)