computer museums

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1 4:51 PM
      Message
      I haven't counted in the past two years, but in 2006-2007 there were 15-ish "real" computer museums in the U.S. .... I don't count private collections other than Bruce Damer's Digibarn.  I also don't count organizations that have a display case or two and call it a museum (sorry, Bill & U. of Delaware!), nor the zillions of sites whose owners claim to be a "museum" and who say, "Sure, someday I plan to get a building and blah blah blah" .....
    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1 5:23 PM

        Here's a relatively new one in Albuquerque, home of the Altair, that I had in my list. STARTUP  http://www.startupgallery.org/
        Even though they say it's an exhibition, it's a rather large floor inside their museum of Natural History and Science in NM.

        I think if a brick 'n mortar location has a collection of artifacts which is open to the public, preserves them, and offers some level of educational insight, it shouldn't matter if it happens to be a private or public collection.

        One day I like to visit Digibarn too.

        =Dan

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1 6:05 PM
          Evan Koblentz wrote:
          > <!-- /* start of attachment style */ .ygrp-photo-title{ clear: both;
          > font-size: smaller; height: 15px; overflow: hidden; text-align:
          > center; width: 75px; } div.ygrp-photo{ background-position: center;
          > background-repeat: no-repeat; background-color: white; border: 1px
          > solid black; height: 62px; width: 62px; } div.photo-title a,
          > div.photo-title a:active, div.photo-title a:hover, div.photo-title
          > a:visited { text-decoration: none; } div.attach-table div.attach-row {
          > clear: both; } div.attach-table div.attach-row div { float: left; /*
          > margin: 2px;*/ } p { clear: both; padding: 15px 0 3px 0; overflow:
          > hidden; } p span { color: #628C2A; } div.ygrp-file { width: 30px;
          > valign: middle; } div.attach-table div.attach-row div div a {
          > text-decoration: none; } div.attach-table div.attach-row div div span
          > { font-weight: normal; } div.ygrp-file-title { font-weight: bold; } /*
          > end of attachment style */ -->
          > I haven't counted in the past two years, but in 2006-2007 there were
          > 15-ish "real" computer museums in the U.S. .... I don't count private
          > collections other than Bruce Damer's Digibarn. I also don't count
          > organizations that have a display case or two and call it a museum
          > (sorry, Bill & U. of Delaware!), nor the zillions of sites whose
          > owners claim to be a "museum" and who say, "Sure, someday I plan to
          > get a building and blah blah blah" .....
          I never counted the U of D as a museum either, FYI. A display case doth
          not a museum make.

          I realize that Evan and I have a healthy difference of opinion BUT here
          is my 2 cents:

          System Source is bigger than most "traditional" museums. It's always
          open to the public. It has professional exhibits, it has media/audio
          presentations as part of the layout. It has more "clean" computers in
          exhibits than any museum I have been to or seen online except for
          Digibarn and the Computer History Museum and few others. Plenty of docs
          and paper on dispaly too. Don't let the web site limit your
          expectations (http://www.syssrc.com/html/museum/). They have a larger
          inventory than MARCH. Whatever you call it, it's still worth the trip
          if for only the awe factor. BUT - I don't need to call it a museum in
          the traditional sense to claim it's worth the trip. I agree that a
          private collection that is housed within the business/work space is not
          a traditional museum, but what musuem has a working linotype machine on
          site? They needed a tractor trailer to haul and install the thing (I
          helped). PLUS they have pallets of unopened IMSAIs, Cromemcos, etc

          If you live in the southern MidAtlantic, it's by far the largest
          collection of vintage computers you'll ever see. Prove me wrong - see
          for yourself :-)