Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: look for early 19+ NEC Multisync or equivalent

Expand Messages
  • Chris M
    probably not dude. Sounds like a Sony GDM-sumthin. I still have a few even. The BNC jacks arent the problem. Those were fixed frequency analog input, about 64
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 26, 2005
    • 0 Attachment
      probably not dude. Sounds like a Sony GDM-sumthin. I
      still have a few even. The BNC jacks arent the
      problem. Those were fixed frequency analog input,
      about 64 khz, as opposed to 15. Thanks for the offer
      though.
      --- midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      <macmothership@...> wrote:
      > I have a big 'ole monitor that I'm not using, 19" or
      21" if I remember. I'll have to check the
      > brand tonight - it's been a long time since I looked
      at it. Excuse my technical ignorance (I'm
      > an Apple guy-haahaa), but it is the kind with three
      separate input lines (BNC I think) into one
      > cable. Is that the kind you are looking for?
      >
      > -Jim
      >
      > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com,
      "chrism3667" <chrism3667@y...> wrote:
      > > Needs to sync down to tv scan rate (15.75khz).
      Would consider an early
      > > EGA monitor too (19" or larger though). Cheap LOL
      LOL.
      >
      >




      __________________________________
      Yahoo! Mail
      Stay connected, organized, and protected. Take the tour:
      http://tour.mail.yahoo.com/mailtour.html
    • Chris M
      ... Dude...if you get a chance, send me the make/model #. Like I said, it s probably a fixed frequency monitor, that work perfectly well with a Mac, but not
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 17, 2005
      • 0 Attachment
        > <macmothership@...> wrote:
        > > I have a big 'ole monitor that I'm not using, 19"
        > or
        > 21" if I remember.

        Dude...if you get a chance, send me the make/model #.
        Like I said, it's probably a fixed frequency monitor,
        that work perfectly well with a Mac, but not very well
        with a PC. But who knows.




        __________________________________
        Yahoo! Mail - PC Magazine Editors' Choice 2005
        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • macmothership
        Hey Chris. It is a 19 1987 Sony Trinitron #GDM-1952 with the three seperate RGB input connectors. I have a cable that merges them into ine plug. -Jim
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 18, 2005
        • 0 Attachment
          Hey Chris.
          It is a 19" 1987 Sony Trinitron #GDM-1952 with the three seperate RGB
          input connectors. I
          have a cable that merges them into ine plug.

          -Jim


          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Chris M <chrism3667@y...>
          wrote:
          > > <macmothership@y...> wrote:
          > > > I have a big 'ole monitor that I'm not using, 19"
          > > or
          > > 21" if I remember.
          >
          > Dude...if you get a chance, send me the make/model #.
          > Like I said, it's probably a fixed frequency monitor,
          > that work perfectly well with a Mac, but not very well
          > with a PC. But who knows.
          >
          >
          >
          >
          > __________________________________
          > Yahoo! Mail - PC Magazine Editors' Choice 2005
          > http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Chris M
          I m not quite sure what a 1952 is, probably just a minor variant of the 1950. Sounds like fixed frequency dude, there I ll have to pass :(. Tanks for the offer
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 19, 2005
          • 0 Attachment
            I'm not quite sure what a 1952 is, probably just a
            minor variant of the 1950. Sounds like fixed frequency
            dude, there I'll have to pass :(. Tanks for the offer
            though.
            Some of those older monitors still kick butt though.
            Don't be in a hurry to chuck it. If you can find a
            solitary spot in the garage or basement, set it there
            and one day you'll go looking for it. I still have 54
            or 6 lying around :D.

            --- macmothership <macmothership@...> wrote:

            > Hey Chris.
            > It is a 19" 1987 Sony Trinitron #GDM-1952 with the
            > three seperate RGB
            > input connectors. I
            > have a cable that merges them into ine plug.
            >
            > -Jim
            >
            >
            > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Chris M
            > <chrism3667@y...>
            > wrote:
            > > > <macmothership@y...> wrote:
            > > > > I have a big 'ole monitor that I'm not using,
            > 19"
            > > > or
            > > > 21" if I remember.
            > >
            > > Dude...if you get a chance, send me the
            > make/model #.
            > > Like I said, it's probably a fixed frequency
            > monitor,
            > > that work perfectly well with a Mac, but not very
            > well
            > > with a PC. But who knows.
            > >
            > >
            > >
            > >
            > > __________________________________
            > > Yahoo! Mail - PC Magazine Editors' Choice 2005
            > > http://mail.yahoo.com
            >
            >
            >
            >


            __________________________________________________
            Do You Yahoo!?
            Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Jim Scheef
            Chris, I plugged Sony Trinitron #GDM-1952 into Yahoo search. Check out http://www.avernus.com/~gadams/hardware/monitors.html and
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 19, 2005
            • 0 Attachment
              Chris,

              I plugged "Sony Trinitron #GDM-1952" into Yahoo search. Check out

              http://www.avernus.com/~gadams/hardware/monitors.html

              and

              http://www.monitorworld.com/Monitors/supermac/std945519trinitrondisplay.html

              With a vertical frequency of only 60Hz, this monitor will have some flicker,
              but it certainly qualifies as vintage (1989) in my book. I'm not sure how the
              horizontal frequency translates to screen resolution.

              If you have a display adapter that supports the frequencies (just about
              anything made in the last 10 years) you can run this monitor under Linux
              using the manual setup for X-Windows. A PC can play nice with a fixed
              frequency monitor but it greatly limits your choices. You know, it might be
              easier to use it on an old Sun workstation.

              Jim

              --- Chris M <chrism3667@...> wrote:

              > I'm not quite sure what a 1952 is, probably just a
              > minor variant of the 1950. Sounds like fixed frequency
              > dude, there I'll have to pass :(. Tanks for the offer
              > though.
              > Some of those older monitors still kick butt though.
              > Don't be in a hurry to chuck it. If you can find a
              > solitary spot in the garage or basement, set it there
              > and one day you'll go looking for it. I still have 54
              > or 6 lying around :D.
              >
              > --- macmothership <macmothership@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Hey Chris.
              > > It is a 19" 1987 Sony Trinitron #GDM-1952 with the
              > > three seperate RGB
              > > input connectors. I
              > > have a cable that merges them into ine plug.
              > >
              > > -Jim
              > >
              > >
              > > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Chris M
              > > <chrism3667@y...>
              > > wrote:
              > > > > <macmothership@y...> wrote:
              > > > > > I have a big 'ole monitor that I'm not using,
              > > 19"
              > > > > or
              > > > > 21" if I remember.
              > > >
              > > > Dude...if you get a chance, send me the
              > > make/model #.
              > > > Like I said, it's probably a fixed frequency
              > > monitor,
              > > > that work perfectly well with a Mac, but not very
              > > well
              > > > with a PC. But who knows.
              > > >
              > > >
              > > >
              > > >
              > > > __________________________________
              > > > Yahoo! Mail - PC Magazine Editors' Choice 2005
              > > > http://mail.yahoo.com
              > >
              > >
              > >
              > >
              >
              >
              > __________________________________________________
              > Do You Yahoo!?
              > Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
              > http://mail.yahoo.com
              >
            • Chris M
              ... Dude, first of all...THANKS! :). Let me see how does it work.... Basically, multiply the vertical sychronization scanning frequency by the resolution and
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 19, 2005
              • 0 Attachment
                --- Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:

                > I'm not sure how the
                > horizontal frequency translates to screen
                > resolution.

                Dude, first of all...THANKS! :). Let me see how does
                it work....
                Basically, multiply the vertical sychronization
                scanning frequency by the resolution and that's
                roughly the horizontal sync scan rate (you have to
                allow for overscan though, those "lines" of resolution
                you don't get to play with or generally even see).
                Take for instance my Tandy 2000. 640 x 400 @ 60hz.
                400 x 60 = 24,000 or 24khz. The card actually outputs
                25.something, because there's extra "lines" there. In
                TV broadcasts, I think the overscan can actually carry
                information, perhaps even closed captioned stuff and
                whatnot.

                > If you have a display adapter that supports the
                > frequencies (just about
                > anything made in the last 10 years) you can run this
                > monitor under Linux
                > using the manual setup for X-Windows. A PC can play
                > nice with a fixed
                > frequency monitor but it greatly limits your
                > choices. You know, it might be
                > easier to use it on an old Sun workstation.

                PC's can work with this style of monitor, but it used
                to require a special card, or a highly tweaked off the
                shelf video card. I'm going back to the mid 90's now
                when these things were plentiful. They readily plug up
                to Macs and as you pointed out, Suns and SGI's too.
                Every now and again you have a problem though. I once
                sold, perhaps the very model Jim has, to a guy who
                wanted to use it with his whatever PowerMac. For some
                reason though, it wouldn't sync up properly with his
                puter. Not positive what the reason was, but it may
                have had something to do with the width of the sync
                pulses. It worked fine with my IICX and E-machines
                Futura video card. The polarity of the sync pulses
                didn't have anything to do with it, all those monitors
                basically used negative going pulses.
                Back in the earlyish 90's, a guy in Derry, NH came
                out with a manual called "the Cheap VGA" book, which
                described how to get these monitors to work with a pc.
                There were all sorts of little tweaks you could
                employ, but sometimes you actually had to build a
                little circuit to accomplish the task. But even if you
                did get a monitor to work at a specific resolution, as
                soon as say a game changed it, you were shirt out of
                luck. Those were fun days. I used to find these things
                dirt cheap and sell them for buckeroos LOL LOL.




                ______________________________________________________
                Yahoo! for Good
                Donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.
                http://store.yahoo.com/redcross-donate3/
              • Chris M
                http://www.parse.com/~ddunfield/museum/index.html __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 19, 2005
                • 0 Attachment
                  http://www.parse.com/~ddunfield/museum/index.html

                  __________________________________________________
                  Do You Yahoo!?
                  Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.