burroughs electric adding machine

  • Joe Giliberti
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2009
      If this is considered OT, I apologize for posting, but I'm not sure here.

      Just got back from a garage/estate sale. Picked up an old sunbeam electric razor which looks like a Star Trek phaser, a Windert LCD watch, a carpet sweeper, and a Burroughs Series P Electric adding machine.

      The adding machine has eight columns, a narrow carriage, and I think it can also multiply. It has the power cord. Has a sticker on the side from its last service in 1978. I have not yet plugged it in. Are there any recommendations for what to do before plugging it? Any other yahoo groups/forums dedicated to these?

      Joe

      --
      "You work with your females, arm them, and force them to wear clothing!"

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 28, 2009
        Joe,
        I have a small collection of adding machines and calculators, I think
        that they're apt for this group. Here is one of mine:
        http://vintagecomputer.net/itemsavailable/thm_monroe_mechanical_calculator.jpg
        Bill

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 28, 2009
          I powered it on. it reset itself. now what? Is there a guide somewhere on the web on how to use an adding machine? Its got 8 columns 1-9, E, +, -, x, a key that says "NA" and has a symbol that looks similar to a battery in a schematic diagram, ST, and TOT.
          Assistance requested please.

          Joe