H-buildings, electricity, etc.

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2009
      As I said a few weeks ago, InfoAge is getting very close to officially possessing the BIGGEST building from the old Marconi / Camp Evans facility -- what we call the two "H-buildings" due to their shape.

      For those who haven't seen them from the inside, the best way I can explain it without knowing measurements is that each side of each "H" is approximately the size of FOUR high school gymnasiums. So imagine that Infoage has 16 areas to fill, each the size of a gym.

      As I understand it, the (fluid) plan is for one area to be an events room, another to be classrooms, and the rest to be exhibits for the various groups. Fred also wants most of the exhibits to be modular -- designed atop pallets -- so they can easily be moved around. It's common in some larger museums for outside organizations to book their events and parties AMONG the exhibits instead of in bland rooms. So, Infoage could supply that kind of scenario -- Acme Inc. wants a party surrounded by 70s and 80s tech, no problem, we'll pallet-jack some exhibits in for the evenings (LOL, not the mainframes). This also makes our life easier for moving things into storage, repair workshops, etc.

      Currently the situation is that Wall Township's attorney signed the contract (after YEARS of negotiations with the feds), and now we're just waiting for the Army to sign it ... then InfoAge has a big transfer party. That's also (more or less) when Infoage has to start paying its own electric bill. Wall and Infoage are also now talking to engineers and utility companies about the best ways to configure our power vs. what the Army had going on.

      Even after the official transfer, it will be a couple of years before the buildings are inhabitable by groups like MARCH, so that is why we focus on our current space in 9032-C for now.

      There is not yet any plan for each member organization to help pay the upcoming utility bills. I think there will be various arrangements based on the unique circumstances of each organization, or at least a few different models from which each organization can choose.

      For now, all Infoage requires from MARCH is that we keep doing what we've been doing -- be good guests in its house. We are open almost every Sunday; we have cool exhibits; we have killer events, including one that's public; we participate in other group's events and Infoage's own events; we always name Infoage in our marketing and when we're in the press; and we kick back some money whenever we can.

      Trust me, there are some other infoage groups that Fred would like to see be more like us!!