Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Mainframe

    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 27, 2009
      >>> There is a difference between "vintage" and "historically signifigant". While the Amdahl may not be all that old by our standards, I definitely feel that it's an important piece of computing history. An IBM mainframe clone! Very cool.

      Exactamundo! I bet that of people who HAVE heard of or even used mainframes, most think the technology was long gone by the 90s, or at least gone from anyone but Big Blue.
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 27, 2009
        >>> We can't even plug the thing in yet, AFAIK.

        Oh. Now I understand why you said static display.

        Yes, it would sit in storage until we move into suitable space in the H-building. The only reason we (Infoage) would get this system NOW is because the group willing to donate it said it will otherwise be scrapped.
      • Sridhar Ayengar
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 27, 2009
          Evan Koblentz wrote:

          > Oh. Now I understand why you said static display.
          >
          > Yes, it would sit in storage until we move into suitable space in the
          > H-building. The only reason we (Infoage) would get this system NOW is
          > because the group willing to donate it said it will otherwise be
          > scrapped.

          When the time comes to move into our space in one of said buildings,
          will 208Y power be available?

          Peace... Sridhar
        • Andy Meyer
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 27, 2009
            On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 10:02 AM, madodel <madodel@...> wrote:
            > I take it MARCH isn't responsible for the electric bill?

            Not yet. But I believe InfoAge tenants will eventually be responsible
            for their utilities.
          • Christopher Blackmon
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 27, 2009
              Naa.. we were still using them at Nortel (BNR, NT, etc)  in the mid-late 90's... (before Nortel's faceplant that is.)

              Christopher.

              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 27, 2009
                H***, it falls into the "we don't own it" category.

                Regardless of when or how it arrives, it would not fit in our current
                rooms. This would be a good "palletized" exhibit!

                Jim

                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 27, 2009
                  Catch up on your emails. We're talking H-building here.

                  Evan Koblentz wrote:

                  > It falls into the "exception for coolness" rule.

                • Jeffrey Brace
                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 27, 2009
                    Cool ! Since you are handing out appointments, can I be appointed to head of the video game demonstrations committee ? Winking smiley emoticon

                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 28, 2009
                      Evan Koblentz wrote:
                      > Yup, it's just got to be stuff outside of the DOS/Wintel mainstream. Like I said in previous message -- exceptions for coolness.

                      But what is wrong with DOS?!

                      Cheers,

                      Bryan
                    • Bob Schwier
                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 1, 2009
                        Good question, a properly running FreeDos would suit me fine, even on more
                        modern machines.
                        bs