Mainframe

    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 26, 2009
      Message
      Fred says we might soon get an Amdahl mainframe from the 1990s.  I don't know any details except that a third part is willing to have it shipped from California to New Jersey.
    • Sridhar Ayengar
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 26, 2009
        Evan Koblentz wrote:
        > Fred says we might soon get an Amdahl mainframe from the 1990s. I don't
        > know any details except that a third part is willing to have it shipped
        > from California to New Jersey.

        What are we going to do with it? I was perfectly willing to donate an
        older mainframe than that, but not if it were going to be used as a
        static display.

        Peace... Sridhar
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 26, 2009
          >>> What are we going to do with it? I was perfectly willing to donate an
          older mainframe than that, but not if it were going to be used as a static
          display.

          Who said anything about a static display?

          Seriously though, what CAN we do to demo such systems? Educate us.

          I'm perfectly willing to appoint you as head of the Mainframe Demonstrations
          Committee. :)
        • Sridhar Ayengar
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 26, 2009
            Evan Koblentz wrote:
            > older mainframe than that, but not if it were going to be used as a static
            > display.
            >
            > Who said anything about a static display?
            >
            > Seriously though, what CAN we do to demo such systems? Educate us.
            >
            > I'm perfectly willing to appoint you as head of the Mainframe Demonstrations
            > Committee. :)

            All manner of stuff is possible, if we can power it. Mainframes are *neat*.

            Takes power though.

            Peace... Sridhar
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 27, 2009
              Evan Koblentz wrote:
              > <!-- /* start of attachment style */ .ygrp-photo-title{ clear: both;
              > font-size: smaller; height: 15px; overflow: hidden; text-align:
              > center; width: 75px; } div.ygrp-photo{ background-position: center;
              > background-repeat: no-repeat; background-color: white; border: 1px
              > solid black; height: 62px; width: 62px; } div.photo-title a,
              > div.photo-title a:active, div.photo-title a:hover, div.photo-title
              > a:visited { text-decoration: none; } div.attach-table div.attach-row {
              > clear: both; } div.attach-table div.attach-row div { float: left; /*
              > margin: 2px;*/ } p { clear: both; padding: 15px 0 3px 0; overflow:
              > hidden; } p span { color: #628C2A; } div.ygrp-file { width: 30px;
              > valign: middle; } div.attach-table div.attach-row div div a {
              > text-decoration: none; } div.attach-table div.attach-row div div span
              > { font-weight: normal; } div.ygrp-file-title { font-weight: bold; } /*
              > end of attachment style */ -->
              > Fred says we might soon get an Amdahl mainframe from the 1990s. I
              > don't know any details except that a third part is willing to have it
              > shipped from California to New Jersey.

              Before I read the various replies to this post, /why/ are we getting an
              Amdahl mainframe? Are we saying that eventually this will be vintage,
              or are we expanding into newer systems. Has the vintage "bar" been
              moved into the 90's?
              Bill
            • madodel
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 27, 2009
                Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
                >> older mainframe than that, but not if it were going to be used as a static
                >> display.
                >>
                >> Who said anything about a static display?
                >>
                >> Seriously though, what CAN we do to demo such systems? Educate us.
                >>
                >> I'm perfectly willing to appoint you as head of the Mainframe Demonstrations
                >> Committee. :)
                >
                > All manner of stuff is possible, if we can power it. Mainframes are *neat*.
                >
                > Takes power though.

                I take it MARCH isn't responsible for the electric bill? I never worked
                with an Amdahl but IBM mainframes of that era still required a lot of
                cooling and an elevated floor. I guess you can skip the halon fire
                suppression system.

                Mark
              • Bill Degnan
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 27, 2009
                  for that matter who is paying to ship this thing?
                  bd

                  > I take it MARCH isn't responsible for the electric bill? I never worked

                  > with an Amdahl but IBM mainframes of that era still required a lot of
                  > cooling and an elevated floor. I guess you can skip the halon fire
                  > suppression system.
                  >
                  > Mark

                • fairlanefastback
                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 27, 2009
                    I guess it would depend on when in the decade. Evan has previously
                    said Amigas from the 90s and Ataris from the 90s (like the Falcon) are
                    considered vintage by the group. Of course, those were early 90s
                    examples. But the group already recognizes some 90s equipment already
                    then. The bar is already in that decade.

                    > Before I read the various replies to this post, /why/ are we getting an
                    > Amdahl mainframe? Are we saying that eventually this will be vintage,
                    > or are we expanding into newer systems. Has the vintage "bar" been
                    > moved into the 90's?
                    > Bill

                  • Mr Ian Primus
                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 27, 2009

                      --- On Fri, 2/27/09, fairlanefastback <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                      > I guess it would depend on when in the decade. Evan has
                      > previously
                      > said Amigas from the 90s and Ataris from the 90s (like the
                      > Falcon) are
                      > considered vintage by the group. Of course, those were
                      > early 90s
                      > examples. But the group already recognizes some 90s
                      > equipment already
                      > then. The bar is already in that decade.

                      There is a difference between "vintage" and "historically signifigant". While the Amdahl may not be all that old by our standards, I definitely feel that it's an important piece of computing history. An IBM mainframe clone! Very cool.

                      -Ian
                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 27, 2009
                        It falls into the "exception for coolness" rule.

                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 27, 2009
                          P.S. - when we have space (couple of years from now in the H-buildings), then we can have an exhibit of "future history" - I bet 99.999% of the non-technical public thinks every computer from the past 20 years was a beige box running Windows. This exhibit could be anything from a mainframe to an Internet appliance.

                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 27, 2009
                            Yup, it's just got to be stuff outside of the DOS/Wintel mainstream. Like I said in previous message -- exceptions for coolness.

                            I guess it would depend on when in the decade. Evan has previously
                            said Amigas from the 90s and Ataris from the 90s (like the Falcon) are
                            considered vintage by the group. Of course, those were early 90s
                            examples. But the group already recognizes some 90s equipment already
                            then. The bar is already in that decade.

                            > Before I read the various replies to this post, /why/ are we getting an
                            > Amdahl mainframe? Are we saying that eventually this will be vintage,
                            > or are we expanding into newer systems. Has the vintage "bar" been
                            > moved into the 90's?
                            > Bill

                          • Sridhar Ayengar
                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 27, 2009
                              madodel wrote:
                              > Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
                              >>> older mainframe than that, but not if it were going to be used as a static
                              >>> display.
                              >>>
                              >>> Who said anything about a static display?
                              >>>
                              >>> Seriously though, what CAN we do to demo such systems? Educate us.
                              >>>
                              >>> I'm perfectly willing to appoint you as head of the Mainframe Demonstrations
                              >>> Committee. :)
                              >> All manner of stuff is possible, if we can power it. Mainframes are *neat*.
                              >>
                              >> Takes power though.
                              >

                              > I take it MARCH isn't responsible for the electric bill? I never worked
                              > with an Amdahl but IBM mainframes of that era still required a lot of
                              > cooling and an elevated floor. I guess you can skip the halon fire
                              > suppression system.

                              I know a mainframe can be run without a raised floor or fire suppression
                              system. I know, because I've done it.

                              It's not so much the electric BILL I'm concerned about. We can't even
                              plug the thing in yet, AFAIK.

                              Peace... Sridhar
                              Message 14 of 23 , Feb 27, 2009
                                >>> There is a difference between "vintage" and "historically signifigant". While the Amdahl may not be all that old by our standards, I definitely feel that it's an important piece of computing history. An IBM mainframe clone! Very cool.

                                Exactamundo! I bet that of people who HAVE heard of or even used mainframes, most think the technology was long gone by the 90s, or at least gone from anyone but Big Blue.
                                Message 15 of 23 , Feb 27, 2009
                                  >>> We can't even plug the thing in yet, AFAIK.

                                  Oh. Now I understand why you said static display.

                                  Yes, it would sit in storage until we move into suitable space in the H-building. The only reason we (Infoage) would get this system NOW is because the group willing to donate it said it will otherwise be scrapped.
                                • Sridhar Ayengar
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Feb 27, 2009
                                    Evan Koblentz wrote:

                                    > Oh. Now I understand why you said static display.
                                    >
                                    > Yes, it would sit in storage until we move into suitable space in the
                                    > H-building. The only reason we (Infoage) would get this system NOW is
                                    > because the group willing to donate it said it will otherwise be
                                    > scrapped.

                                    When the time comes to move into our space in one of said buildings,
                                    will 208Y power be available?

                                    Peace... Sridhar
                                  • Andy Meyer
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Feb 27, 2009
                                      On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 10:02 AM, madodel <madodel@...> wrote:
                                      > I take it MARCH isn't responsible for the electric bill?

                                      Not yet. But I believe InfoAge tenants will eventually be responsible
                                      for their utilities.
                                    • Christopher Blackmon
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Feb 27, 2009
                                        Naa.. we were still using them at Nortel (BNR, NT, etc)  in the mid-late 90's... (before Nortel's faceplant that is.)

                                        Christopher.

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Feb 27, 2009
                                          H***, it falls into the "we don't own it" category.

                                          Regardless of when or how it arrives, it would not fit in our current
                                          rooms. This would be a good "palletized" exhibit!

                                          Jim

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Feb 27, 2009
                                            Catch up on your emails. We're talking H-building here.

                                            Evan Koblentz wrote:

                                            > It falls into the "exception for coolness" rule.

                                          • Jeffrey Brace
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Feb 27, 2009
                                              Cool ! Since you are handing out appointments, can I be appointed to head of the video game demonstrations committee ? Winking smiley emoticon

                                              >>> What are we going to do with it? I was perfectly willing to donate an
                                              older mainframe than that, but not if it were going to be used as a static
                                              display.

                                              Who said anything about a static display?

                                              Seriously though, what CAN we do to demo such systems? Educate us.

                                              I'm perfectly willing to appoint you as head of the Mainframe Demonstrations
                                              Committee. :)

                                            • Bryan Pope
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Feb 28, 2009
                                                Evan Koblentz wrote:
                                                > Yup, it's just got to be stuff outside of the DOS/Wintel mainstream. Like I said in previous message -- exceptions for coolness.

                                                But what is wrong with DOS?!

                                                Cheers,

                                                Bryan
                                              • Bob Schwier
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Mar 1, 2009
                                                  Good question, a properly running FreeDos would suit me fine, even on more
                                                  modern machines.
                                                  bs