Re: Basic Compiler for Atari 2600...was Re: [midatlanticretro] Anyone have the Datasoft Basic Compiler for the Atari 800 ?

    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 25, 2009
      Dan Roganti wrote:
      > <!-- /* start of attachment style */ .ygrp-photo-title{ clear: both;
      > font-size: smaller; height: 15px; overflow: hidden; text-align:
      > center; width: 75px; } div.ygrp-photo{ background-position: center;
      > background-repeat: no-repeat; background-color: white; border: 1px
      > solid black; height: 62px; width: 62px; } div.photo-title a,
      > div.photo-title a:active, div.photo-title a:hover, div.photo-title
      > a:visited { text-decoration: none; } div.attach-table div.attach-row {
      > clear: both; } div.attach-table div.attach-row div { float: left; /*
      > margin: 2px;*/ } p { clear: both; padding: 15px 0 3px 0; overflow:
      > hidden; } p span { color: #628C2A; } div.ygrp-file { width: 30px;
      > valign: middle; } div.attach-table div.attach-row div div a {
      > text-decoration: none; } div.attach-table div.attach-row div div span
      > { font-weight: normal; } div.ygrp-file-title { font-weight: bold; } /*
      > end of attachment style */ -->
      > Something cool that I came across by accident while looking for info
      > on the Atari800.
      > There's also a Basic compiler for the Atari 2600 plus various
      > development tools to make it easier to program games.
      > If anyone hasn't tried to program this--with the ordinary method--,
      > it's not for the faint hearted as it's not a simple bit mapped
      > graphics video display.
      > http://www.atariage.com/2600/programming/index.html
      >
      > =Dan
      > [ = http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/ ]

      I never considered making a cart before...hmmmm
    • arkaxow
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 25, 2009
        I have run into this in my wanderings. I have been working on learning
        6502 assembly. Mostly for the commodore 64, but I would eventually
        like to apply it to programming and/or modifying existing games.
        Obviously it will be quite more difficult to program on for an Atari
        2600 where you have 128 bytes of ram and 4k of ROM. I'm amazed at how
        they created enjoyable games for that system. It must have been quite
        difficult.
      • Mr Ian Primus
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 26, 2009
          --- On Wed, 2/25/09, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

          > I never considered making a cart before...hmmmm

          Soldering together a 4k cart for the Atari isn't hard at all. You just need an EPROM programmer, a 7404 or similar inverter, a soldering iron, a knife, and a common cartridge for a "donor". Let me know if you want full instructions.

          As for programming games for the 2600... ugh. I haven't messed with the BASIC compiler, but I dabbled with assembly programming on the platform a couple years ago. I never got past the "colored lines on the screen" phase. Note that the tradidional "Hello World" program is pretty tricky on the 2600, since it doesn't have a built-in method of displaying text. You have to draw it one scanline at a time :)

          -Ian
        • Ray Sills
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 26, 2009
            Wow. Only 128 Bytes of RAM?? They must have used some sort of video
            generator chip that could store and move images.
            My RCA VIP machine uses 512 bytes to map out a monochrome display
            that's 64 by 32 (using each bit 4 times, or something like that).

            73 de Ray

            On Feb 26, 2009, at 12:16 AM, arkaxow wrote:

            > I have run into this in my wanderings. I have been working on learning
            > 6502 assembly. Mostly for the commodore 64, but I would eventually
            > like to apply it to programming and/or modifying existing games.
            > Obviously it will be quite more difficult to program on for an Atari
            > 2600 where you have 128 bytes of ram and 4k of ROM. I'm amazed at how
            > they created enjoyable games for that system. It must have been quite
            > difficult.

          • Sridhar Ayengar
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 26, 2009
              Ray Sills wrote:
              > Wow. Only 128 Bytes of RAM?? They must have used some sort of video
              > generator chip that could store and move images.
              > My RCA VIP machine uses 512 bytes to map out a monochrome display
              > that's 64 by 32 (using each bit 4 times, or something like that).

              If memory serves, the 2600's video chip created one line at a time, not
              one screen at a time.

              Peace... Sridhar
            • Mr Ian Primus
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 26, 2009
                --- On Thu, 2/26/09, Ray Sills <raysills@...> wrote:

                > Wow. Only 128 Bytes of RAM?? They must have used some sort
                > of video
                > generator chip that could store and move images.

                Hehe. No. The Atari can't do that. The playfield must be drawn one scanline at a time. There is a TIA register that holds 20 bits of data. This controls half the playfield. It's automagically mirrored on the other half. If you want the playfield to change and not be vertical lines, you must change the register in the retrace time between the scan lines.

                -Ian
              • Dan Roganti
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 26, 2009

                  Mr Ian Primus wrote:
                  --- On Thu, 2/26/09, Ray Sills <raysills@...> wrote:

                  Wow.  Only 128 Bytes of RAM??  They must have used some sort
                  of video
                  generator chip that could store and move images.

                  Hehe. No. The Atari can't do that. The playfield must be drawn one scanline at a time. There is a TIA register that holds 20 bits of data. This controls half the playfield. It's automagically mirrored on the other half. If you want the playfield to change and not be vertical lines, you must change the register in the retrace time between the scan lines.

                  Like I mentioned in the previous post, there's loads of programming info, tutorial and various software tools , at the link below to learn all about this. It's a very good website--give it a read.