Re: doesn't anybody work around here ? :)

  • Brian Cirulnick
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 25, 2009
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Brace"
      <ark72axow@...> wrote:

      > My cousin still programs in COBOL. I think he has done it for 26
      years. He used to work at Sony until they moved operations to
      California and India. He also at one time worked at BMW. I think he
      is working for UPS now. I'm surprised there are still COBOL systems
      out there.
      --------------------

      The financial and insurance industries are trapped in mainframe
      operations and therefore require cobol programmers. Where I'm at, I
      know we generate about 30,000 reports a day for Investment Banking,
      so I assume that there are at least as many programs on the system,
      that require constant maintenance.

      That's keeping a small army of cobol programmers busy, on both sides
      of the planet (half of our programming is done in India, the other
      half is by (former) Russians who are local)...

      The problem is: there's already millions of dollars of software
      investment here and it works well enough to do the job. Porting
      everything over to ... say... Unix would require a substantial
      investment, and right now it's way cheaper to maintain what exists
      than to try and upgrade to a system that might not work as well.

      UPS, if I recall, runs Unix, Windows and AS/400. I know someone who
      runs the Windows side of things there in Northern NJ.... And where
      I'll likely wind up when I decide I've had enough here.

      ttyl
      Brian C.