Anyone have the Datasoft Basic Compiler for the Atari 800 ?

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 24, 2009

      Anyone have the Datasoft Basic Compiler for the Atari 800 ?
      I found the manual already.
      I like to switch to this to help speed up the programming.
      I like to find another 810 drive one day to help speed up the compilation too :)

      =Dan
    • Andy Meyer
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 24, 2009
        On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 8:18 AM, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:
        > Anyone have the Datasoft Basic Compiler for the Atari 800 ?

        If this is that you're looking for (see image), I've got it as an ATR
        disk image.
        Or I could make you a floppy if you send me a blank.

        Andy
      • Dan Roganti
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 24, 2009

          Andy Meyer wrote:
          On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 8:18 AM, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:

          Anyone have the Datasoft Basic Compiler for the Atari 800 ?

          If this is that you're looking for (see image), I've got it as an ATR
          disk image.
          Or I could make you a floppy if you send me a blank.

          Andy,

          I'm not familiar with the screenshot  as the manual doesn't contain any, but from the description I see that it has the same prompt on the screen, 'Compiler or DOS' , besides the title of course. Why does this one say "Der Basic Compiler" while other references just say "A Basic Compiler". Is that just someone from Germany who archived the file and included their own twist by rewriting the title ?

          I found a good reference about all the programming languags available for the 8 bit Atari's
          http://members.chello.nl/taf.offenga/lang20.txt

          I like to send you a floppy in the mail

          =Dan

        • Dan Roganti
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 25, 2009

            Something cool that I came across by accident while looking for info on the Atari800.
            There's also a Basic compiler for the Atari 2600 plus various development tools to make it easier to program games.
            If anyone hasn't tried to program this--with the ordinary method--, it's not for the faint hearted as it's not a simple bit mapped graphics video display.
            http://www.atariage.com/2600/programming/index.html

            =Dan

            Andy Meyer wrote:
            On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 8:18 AM, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:

            Anyone have the Datasoft Basic Compiler for the Atari 800 ?

            If this is that you're looking for (see image), I've got it as an ATR
            disk image.
            Or I could make you a floppy if you send me a blank.

            Andy

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 25, 2009
              Dan Roganti wrote:
              > <!-- /* start of attachment style */ .ygrp-photo-title{ clear: both;
              > font-size: smaller; height: 15px; overflow: hidden; text-align:
              > center; width: 75px; } div.ygrp-photo{ background-position: center;
              > background-repeat: no-repeat; background-color: white; border: 1px
              > solid black; height: 62px; width: 62px; } div.photo-title a,
              > div.photo-title a:active, div.photo-title a:hover, div.photo-title
              > a:visited { text-decoration: none; } div.attach-table div.attach-row {
              > clear: both; } div.attach-table div.attach-row div { float: left; /*
              > margin: 2px;*/ } p { clear: both; padding: 15px 0 3px 0; overflow:
              > hidden; } p span { color: #628C2A; } div.ygrp-file { width: 30px;
              > valign: middle; } div.attach-table div.attach-row div div a {
              > text-decoration: none; } div.attach-table div.attach-row div div span
              > { font-weight: normal; } div.ygrp-file-title { font-weight: bold; } /*
              > end of attachment style */ -->
              > Something cool that I came across by accident while looking for info
              > on the Atari800.
              > There's also a Basic compiler for the Atari 2600 plus various
              > development tools to make it easier to program games.
              > If anyone hasn't tried to program this--with the ordinary method--,
              > it's not for the faint hearted as it's not a simple bit mapped
              > graphics video display.
              > http://www.atariage.com/2600/programming/index.html
              >
              > =Dan
              > [ = http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/ ]

              I never considered making a cart before...hmmmm
            • arkaxow
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 25, 2009
                I have run into this in my wanderings. I have been working on learning
                6502 assembly. Mostly for the commodore 64, but I would eventually
                like to apply it to programming and/or modifying existing games.
                Obviously it will be quite more difficult to program on for an Atari
                2600 where you have 128 bytes of ram and 4k of ROM. I'm amazed at how
                they created enjoyable games for that system. It must have been quite
                difficult.
              • Mr Ian Primus
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 26, 2009
                  --- On Wed, 2/25/09, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

                  > I never considered making a cart before...hmmmm

                  Soldering together a 4k cart for the Atari isn't hard at all. You just need an EPROM programmer, a 7404 or similar inverter, a soldering iron, a knife, and a common cartridge for a "donor". Let me know if you want full instructions.

                  As for programming games for the 2600... ugh. I haven't messed with the BASIC compiler, but I dabbled with assembly programming on the platform a couple years ago. I never got past the "colored lines on the screen" phase. Note that the tradidional "Hello World" program is pretty tricky on the 2600, since it doesn't have a built-in method of displaying text. You have to draw it one scanline at a time :)

                  -Ian
                • Ray Sills
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 26, 2009
                    Wow. Only 128 Bytes of RAM?? They must have used some sort of video
                    generator chip that could store and move images.
                    My RCA VIP machine uses 512 bytes to map out a monochrome display
                    that's 64 by 32 (using each bit 4 times, or something like that).

                    73 de Ray

                    On Feb 26, 2009, at 12:16 AM, arkaxow wrote:

                    > I have run into this in my wanderings. I have been working on learning
                    > 6502 assembly. Mostly for the commodore 64, but I would eventually
                    > like to apply it to programming and/or modifying existing games.
                    > Obviously it will be quite more difficult to program on for an Atari
                    > 2600 where you have 128 bytes of ram and 4k of ROM. I'm amazed at how
                    > they created enjoyable games for that system. It must have been quite
                    > difficult.

                  • Sridhar Ayengar
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 26, 2009
                      Ray Sills wrote:
                      > Wow. Only 128 Bytes of RAM?? They must have used some sort of video
                      > generator chip that could store and move images.
                      > My RCA VIP machine uses 512 bytes to map out a monochrome display
                      > that's 64 by 32 (using each bit 4 times, or something like that).

                      If memory serves, the 2600's video chip created one line at a time, not
                      one screen at a time.

                      Peace... Sridhar
                    • Mr Ian Primus
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 26, 2009
                        --- On Thu, 2/26/09, Ray Sills <raysills@...> wrote:

                        > Wow. Only 128 Bytes of RAM?? They must have used some sort
                        > of video
                        > generator chip that could store and move images.

                        Hehe. No. The Atari can't do that. The playfield must be drawn one scanline at a time. There is a TIA register that holds 20 bits of data. This controls half the playfield. It's automagically mirrored on the other half. If you want the playfield to change and not be vertical lines, you must change the register in the retrace time between the scan lines.

                        -Ian
                      • Dan Roganti
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 26, 2009

                          Mr Ian Primus wrote:
                          --- On Thu, 2/26/09, Ray Sills <raysills@...> wrote:

                          Wow.  Only 128 Bytes of RAM??  They must have used some sort
                          of video
                          generator chip that could store and move images.

                          Hehe. No. The Atari can't do that. The playfield must be drawn one scanline at a time. There is a TIA register that holds 20 bits of data. This controls half the playfield. It's automagically mirrored on the other half. If you want the playfield to change and not be vertical lines, you must change the register in the retrace time between the scan lines.

                          Like I mentioned in the previous post, there's loads of programming info, tutorial and various software tools , at the link below to learn all about this. It's a very good website--give it a read.