doesn't anybody work around here ? :)

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 23, 2009

      doesn't anybody work around here ?  :)

      I come home, the usual routine, eat supper, fireup the home lab, startup thunderbird, firefox, and I already see 50 March emails posted during the daytime.

      =Dan
    • Brian Cirulnick
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 24, 2009
        I only post *from* work.

        While I'm waiting for the computer to catch up with me.

        And to keep this on-topic, I now work with a vintage computer system. I
        use a regular 80 column, 24 line terminal to interface with an IBM
        system 390 running Z/os -- not precisely vintage, and yet, I spend half
        my time checking Cobol source with comments going back to 1980...

        Before that I had been drafted to help maintain a system
        called "Stratus" (now retired) that was also pretty vintage.

        So my actual *work* seems to spin around large vintage systems, (even
        though I had just about zero experience in either System 390 or
        Stratus)... go figure.
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 24, 2009
          Dan,

          Some of what you see is the result of unemployment or self-employment
          (often the same thing).

          Jim

          Dan Roganti wrote:

          > doesn't anybody work around here ? :)
          >
          > I come home, the usual routine, eat supper, fireup the home lab, startup
          > thunderbird, firefox, and I already see 50 March emails posted during
          > the daytime.
          >

          > =Dan
          >
          > --
          > [ = http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/ ]

        • Timothy J Fagan
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 24, 2009
            Cool - I still PROGRAM new COBOL source to this day!!! 21 years and still going. Smile emoticon

            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 24, 2009
              Timothy J Fagan wrote:
              > Cool - I still PROGRAM new COBOL source to this day!!! 21 years and
              > still going. Smile emoticon

              I write in a variety of languages on a daily basis, but two of them are
              dialects of JCL.

              Peace... Sridhar
            • Mike Loewen
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 24, 2009
                On Tue, 24 Feb 2009, Timothy J Fagan wrote:

                > Cool - I still PROGRAM new COBOL source to this day!!! 21 years and
                > still going.

                My operating system and language of choice are Unix and C. I got into
                that environment in 1985 and have been doing it ever since. Unix was over
                15 years by that point, already.

                I took three courses in COBOL in '85/'86 but never used it after that.

                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
              • Timothy J Fagan
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 24, 2009
                  Yes - something else I use on a daily basis!

                  Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 1:19 PM

                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 24, 2009
                    Timothy J Fagan wrote:
                    > Yes - something else I use on a daily basis!

                    Do you use more than one dialect, or only the popular (MVS) one?

                    Peace... Sridhar
                  • Dan Roganti
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 24, 2009

                      Just making light of the situation amongst our friends here--note the smiley--.
                      My neck of the woods isn't immune to the economy either as I have friends here in the same boat.

                      =Dan

                      Dan Roganti wrote:

                      doesn't anybody work around here ?  :)

                      I come home, the usual routine, eat supper, fireup the home lab, startup
                      thunderbird, firefox, and I already see 50 March emails posted during
                      the daytime.

                      =Dan

                      <*> Your email settings:
                          Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                          (Yahoo! ID required)

                      <*> To change settings via email:

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    • Sridhar Ayengar
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 24, 2009
                        Dan Roganti wrote:

                        > Just making light of the situation amongst our friends here--note the
                        > smiley--.
                        > My neck of the woods isn't immune to the economy either as I have
                        > friends here in the same boat.

                        Then there are those of us desparately trying to KEEP our jobs. Hence,
                        I'm about to leave work now, having gotten here at 10AM.

                        Peace... Sridhar
                      • Dan Roganti
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 24, 2009

                          Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
                          Dan Roganti wrote:

                          Just making light of the situation amongst our friends here--note the
                          smiley--.
                          My neck of the woods isn't immune to the economy either as I have
                          friends here in the same boat.

                          Then there are those of us desparately trying to KEEP our jobs.  Hence,
                          I'm about to leave work now, having gotten here at 10AM.

                          Those were the good days when working 10-12hr days in the Lab didn't put a kink in one's hide
                          And the harmony of purring muffin fans galore in all the machines helped you concentrate too
                          :)

                          =Dan

                        • Sridhar Ayengar
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 24, 2009
                            Dan Roganti wrote:
                            >> Then there are those of us desparately trying to KEEP our jobs. Hence,
                            >> I'm about to leave work now, having gotten here at 10AM.
                            >>

                            > Those were the good days when working 10-12hr days in the Lab didn't put
                            > a kink in one's hide

                            I think I'm past those days. I feel like I've been shit upon.

                            > And the harmony of purring muffin fans galore in all the machines helped
                            > you concentrate too
                            > :)

                            Although I have to admit the sound of the fans is indeed appealing.

                            Peace... Sridhar
                          • Dan Roganti
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 24, 2009

                              Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
                              Dan Roganti wrote:

                              Those were the good days when working 10-12hr days in the Lab didn't put
                              a kink in one's hide

                              I think I'm past those days.  I feel like I've been shit upon.

                              oh ? don't tell me it's someone in management is trying to thwart the laws of physics again.
                              I was annoyed when they try to exemplify their reasoning behind 'I want it yesterday'

                              =Dan

                            • Jeffrey Brace
                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 24, 2009
                                My cousin still programs in COBOL. I think he has done it for 26 years. He used to work at Sony until they moved operations to California and India.  He also at one time worked at BMW. I think he is working for UPS now.  I'm surprised there are still COBOL systems out there. When I was in the computer industry 1996-2001. I know of many companies in the Philadelphia area that were dumping COBOL in favor of Oracle or Peoplesoft etc.

                                Message 15 of 15 , Feb 25, 2009
                                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Brace"
                                  <ark72axow@...> wrote:

                                  > My cousin still programs in COBOL. I think he has done it for 26
                                  years. He used to work at Sony until they moved operations to
                                  California and India. He also at one time worked at BMW. I think he
                                  is working for UPS now. I'm surprised there are still COBOL systems
                                  out there.
                                  --------------------

                                  The financial and insurance industries are trapped in mainframe
                                  operations and therefore require cobol programmers. Where I'm at, I
                                  know we generate about 30,000 reports a day for Investment Banking,
                                  so I assume that there are at least as many programs on the system,
                                  that require constant maintenance.

                                  That's keeping a small army of cobol programmers busy, on both sides
                                  of the planet (half of our programming is done in India, the other
                                  half is by (former) Russians who are local)...

                                  The problem is: there's already millions of dollars of software
                                  investment here and it works well enough to do the job. Porting
                                  everything over to ... say... Unix would require a substantial
                                  investment, and right now it's way cheaper to maintain what exists
                                  than to try and upgrade to a system that might not work as well.

                                  UPS, if I recall, runs Unix, Windows and AS/400. I know someone who
                                  runs the Windows side of things there in Northern NJ.... And where
                                  I'll likely wind up when I decide I've had enough here.

                                  ttyl
                                  Brian C.