Swapmeets for computers and the like....

  • Bill Pileggi
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 8, 2005
      To Evan, and to others who may not be aware: there are ALREADY 'computer' swapmeets scheduled regularly around the world - usually several times a year in any given region. They are called "HAMFESTS". Sponsored by Amateur Radio and Electronics clubs, they feature anything electronic and lots more - ham radio gear, parts, test equipment, hardware and software. I've been scavenging them for decades(!). The groups are all non-profit, so the table fee is low, usually $5-10. Entrance Fee is usually $5, too. Kids and Wives usually free. In the Delaware Valley, there a dozen or so through the warm season. If you feel the need to have a show, simply all decide to go to 'such and such' hamfest, and all the work has already been done for you - all you have to do is show up and set up your table. Need power? Most of them have an indoor selling area with power which costs slightly more. Some of the same computer dealers who shell-out $100+ or more per table at the 'commmercial' computer shows also show up at hamfests where they can give better deals because they only paid a few bucks for the table.

      A calendar of events for the Delaware Valley:

      http://www.qsl.net/w2vtm/hamfest.html

      An Official calendar of events for the country:

      http://www.arrl.org/hamfests.html

      (This is the website of the American Radio Relay League (ARRL), the national ham radio club.)

      Some of us never miss hamfests, because you never know what will turn up.
      Bill Pileggi

      Now includes pop-up blocker!
    • evan
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 8, 2005
        Thanks Bill! These hamfest links (and your exhibition advice in the other
        message) are terrific.

        I think most of us are aware of hamfests. The purpose of the "virtual swap
        meet" database on the Yahoo group is to serve as a tool for just group members.
        After TCF, perhaps we can host a real swap meet, in conjunction with some of
        the other related groups like the ones you linked to.

        TCF's organizers said the NJ Antique Radio Club will also be exhibiting there,
        so maybe we can get friendly with them.

        Of course, MARCH is not just a New Jersey group. We've got people from every
        mid-Atlantic state. So it's a good idea to have group events in various
        locations; i.e., have the next event in Maryland, then one in New York, etc.
        And it would be great to get everyone involved in organizing this stuff. I
        motion that everyone become the MARCH ambassador for your respective towns. :)

        But I digress. My own exhibiting experience is that adult nerds can be worse
        than children when it comes to touching stuff...

        My own stuff (handhelds) are vulnerable to being stolen, so I plan to build
        some kind of simple enclosure that implies "hands off!"... I will let people
        play the Atari though under a watchful eye. (To keep it simple, I'll probably
        only bring a small assortment of games, and only take out one game at a time.)

        --- Bill Pileggi <wpileggi@...> wrote:

        > To Evan, and to others who may not be aware: there are ALREADY 'computer'
        > swapmeets scheduled regularly around the world - usually several times a year
        > in any given region. They are called "HAMFESTS". Sponsored by Amateur Radio
        > and Electronics clubs, they feature anything electronic and lots more - ham
        > radio gear, parts, test equipment, hardware and software. I've been
        > scavenging them for decades(!). The groups are all non-profit, so the table
        > fee is low, usually $5-10. Entrance Fee is usually $5, too. Kids and Wives
        > usually free. In the Delaware Valley, there a dozen or so through the warm
        > season. If you feel the need to have a show, simply all decide to go to 'such
        > and such' hamfest, and all the work has already been done for you - all you
        > have to do is show up and set up your table. Need power? Most of them have an
        > indoor selling area with power which costs slightly more. Some of the same
        > computer dealers who shell-out $100+ or more per table at the 'commmercial'
        > computer shows also show up at hamfests where they can give better deals
        > because they only paid a few bucks for the table.
        >
        > A calendar of events for the Delaware Valley:
        >
        > http://www.qsl.net/w2vtm/hamfest.html
        >
        > An Official calendar of events for the country:
        >
        > http://www.arrl.org/hamfests.html
        >
        > (This is the website of the American Radio Relay League (ARRL), the national
        > ham radio club.)
        >
        > Some of us never miss hamfests, because you never know what will turn up.
        > Bill Pileggi

        > Now includes pop-up blocker!
        > Only $14.95/month -visit http://www.juno.com/surf to sign up today!

        Evan's personal homepage: www.snarc.net

        *** Tell your friends about the Computer Collector Newsletter!
        - It's free and we'll never send spam or share your email address
        - Publishing every Monday(-ish), ask about writing for us
        - We're approaching 700 readers: win a prize!