MSNBC -- fixed the NJ thing

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 20, 2009
      Message
      Now it says Wall, N.J. .... yay.
    • Joe Giliberti
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 20, 2009
        But isn't Infoage technically in Belmar? Or possibly Tinton Falls?

        On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 1:46 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

        Now it says Wall, N.J. .... yay.

        --
        "You work with your females, arm them, and force them to wear clothing!"

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 20, 2009
          Message
          >>> But isn't Infoage technically in Belmar? Or possibly Tinton Falls?

          No.

          Belmar happens to be next door, and way back when, I suppose they had a common post office or something.  Actually the InfoAge ZIP code of 07719 also servers Belmar.  And many old publications refer to the Marconi campus as "Belmar Station".  But nowadays it is officially Wall Township.

          I used to think Belmar was just a part of Wall; that's incorrect.  Belmar has its own government:
        • Joe Giliberti
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 20, 2009
            If you type in the address 2201 marconi rd, wall, nj, google maps auto changes it to Belmar, NJ

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 20, 2009
              Message
              I can't explain that.  But I know we're officially in Wall.  The government of Wall owns the land InfoAge is on, gives us a bunch of money, plows the parking lot, involves us in council meetings, supplies legal services, etc.

              If you type in the address 2201 marconi rd, wall, nj, google maps auto changes it to Belmar, NJ
            • Sridhar Ayengar
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 20, 2009
                Evan Koblentz wrote:
                > I can't explain that. But I know we're officially in Wall. The
                > government of Wall owns the land InfoAge is on, gives us a bunch of
                > money, plows the parking lot, involves us in council meetings, supplies
                > legal services, etc.

                I can explain it. Google Maps doesn't really bother to verify accuracy.
                The only make corrections when someone brings an error to their attention.

                Peace... Sridhar
              • fairlanefastback
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 20, 2009
                  Mapquest says its Wall Township, NJ

                  This has apparently been an issue for some time:

                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Evans

                  "Camp Evans, New Jersey is a former military base associated with Fort
                  Monmouth. It is located in Wall Township, although it is often said to
                  be located in Belmar."

                  I say, who cares? Wall sounds better. Belmar sounds like some town
                  in California or something. ;p

                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Joe Giliberti
                  <Starbase89@...> wrote:

                  > If you type in the address 2201 marconi rd, wall, nj, google maps auto
                  > changes it to Belmar, NJ

                • Joe Giliberti
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 20, 2009
                    But at least more people not from around the area will more likely have heard of Belmar.

                    Oh well. Considering its size, they should just make that area its own boro/township :)

                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 20, 2009
                      Everyone at infoage could hold an office in its government. Fred as mayor, Steve G as public works, and Evan as technology administrator

                      --
                      "You work with your females, arm them, and force them to wear clothing!"

                      --
                      "You work with your females, arm them, and force them to wear clothing!"

                    • Ray Sills
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 20, 2009
                        How do you tell Google they have made a mistake?

                        I have a similar geography issue with them at my home in GA.
                        Legally, (and Post Office-wise), the home is in Pooler, GA.
                        Google insists it's in Bloomingdale, GA... the next town over. Post
                        Offices march to their own systems. My elder son lives
                        in the town of Port Wentworth, GA... but his mailing address is
                        Savannah. I had an aunt-in-law who lived in Griggstown, NJ.. but
                        had a Princeton mailing address. Franklin Twp in NJ has several Post
                        Offices that serve the town.

                        73 de Ray