book: Vintage Laptop Computers: First Decade: 1980-89

  • Bill Degnan
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 20, 2009
      Evan (all)
      So tell me your thoughts on Vintage Laptop Computers: First Decade: 1980-89
      (see Ebay item 400025925394). I realize this is a self-published book. I
      bought a copy because it lists in one place many portable models and basic
      facts. I take it for what it is, a homebrew book.
      Bill

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 20, 2009
        >>> Evan (all)
        >>> So tell me your thoughts on Vintage Laptop Computers: First Decade:
        1980-89 (see Ebay item 400025925394). I realize this is a self-published
        book. I bought a copy because it lists in one place many portable models
        and basic facts. I take it for what it is, a homebrew book.

        Kindling.

        Seriously. Total crap.

        The vast majority of the book's "research" is copied-and-pasted from
        www.old-computers.com. What's even worse is that I contacted the author
        (before I obtained the book) and he flat-out admitted that he has NO special
        passion for vintage computers. He just likes to make lists of stuff, any
        stuff at all. So now he's hoarding who knows what.
      • Bill Degnan
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 20, 2009
          lol

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 23, 2009
            Evan,

            Did you bother to look at it before panning it? You never bothered to
            read "Priming the Pump".

            Jim

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 23, 2009
              Yes, I did. I read every word of it. Most of which I previously read,
              verbatim, on other people's web sites.

              Evan Koblentz wrote:

              > Decade: 1980-89 (see Ebay item 400025925394). I realize this is a
              > self-published book. I bought a copy because it lists in one place
              > many portable models and basic facts. I take it for what it is, a
              > homebrew book.
              >
              > Kindling.
              >
              > Seriously. Total crap.
              >
              > The vast majority of the book's "research" is copied-and-pasted from
              > www.old-computers.com. What's even worse is that I contacted the
              > author (before I obtained the book) and he flat-out admitted that he
              > has NO special passion for vintage computers. He just likes to make
              > lists of stuff, any stuff at all. So now he's hoarding who knows what.

            • fairlanefastback
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 23, 2009
                Would that not be plagiarism? And if so, should it not be reported to
                his publisher?

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 23, 2009
                  Yes, it is plagiarism. He self-published. He claims the original writers
                  agreed to it, but who knows.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 23, 2009
                    It would seem odd if he did not cite credit in any way in the book. I
                    suppose someone could contact the owners of the websites in question
                    and at least let them know of what was noticed. If they did give
                    permission its a non-issue from the start even if they are notified.