RE: [midatlanticretro] HP Harmonic Wave Analyzer 300A

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 16, 2005

      >>> Pretty sophisticated piece for its day

      Yup!  I just got a follow-up email from Ken, he says:

      It was good talking with you today. I am glad that there are people interested in preserving history. Here is what information I have on the HP300A. It was manufactured from the early 1940s to 1958. It was replaced in 1959 by the HP302A which covered a wider frequency range and was transistorized. I know that there were at least 1,619 units made and the total is probably close to 2,000. The list price of one in 1947 was $625 and was $725 in 1958.

      As for the present value of one -- it is hard to say. I watch ebay auctions all the time and the only HP300A I ever saw was listed for around $125 and that is probably what it sold for. The cost to the buyer would have been perhaps $75 to $100 more for shipping. If two collectors were in a bidding war over one I could see the price going to several hundred dollars. But there are probably very few collectors interested in one. I have a lot of vintage HP equipment in my collection and I would love to also own an HP300A except that it is too heavy for me to move around and my space is now very limited. The HP300A is a great treasure -- it was a status symbal of the 1940's and 1950's as many people dreamed of owning one. It was a challenge to operate and took a lot of skill.

      All for now. Stay in touch,

      Ken

      PS - Ken's in Alabama and I invited him to attend VCF East next spring.