Mattel Aquarius accessories

  • Bob Shuster
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 18, 2009
      Hello all. (Yes, I've introduced myself before, but I've primarily
      been a lurker. :) I did make it up to the VCF in the fall, and I
      noted that one gentleman had a Mattel Aquarius system set up.

      I too have one of these puppies, and I'm looking for some accessories
      for it. I didn't know if anyone on the list or part of the group
      would have some leads for me, but I figure it's worth a shot. I just
      have the basic unit, a bunch of software carts (and one tape), and a
      4K Memory cartridge.

      The items I seek (in order of importance to me):
      Mini-Expander (with controllers and two additional sound channels)
      16K Memory cartridge
      Data Recorder (cassette deck with proprietary cable)

      I'd be interested in anything else (including any extra software
      carts), but other items are much rarer, such as a 32K Memory
      cartridge, 40 column thermal printer, 300 baud modem, plotter, Quick
      Disk drive, etc. Any help finding these would be appreciated.

      Thanks - Bob
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 18, 2009
        >>> I did make it up to the VCF in the fall, and I noted that one gentleman
        had a Mattel Aquarius system set up.

        That was Andy Molloy, who drove all the way from Syracuse.

        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 18, 2009
          Bob
          Sounds like a nice system. Do you have pictures?
          Bill

          > Hello all. (Yes, I've introduced myself before, but I've primarily
          > been a lurker. :) I did make it up to the VCF in the fall, and I
          > noted that one gentleman had a Mattel Aquarius system set up.
          >
          > I too have one of these puppies, and I'm looking for some accessories
          > for it. I didn't know if anyone on the list or part of the group
          > would have some leads for me, but I figure it's worth a shot. I just
          > have the basic unit, a bunch of software carts (and one tape), and a
          > 4K Memory cartridge.
          >
          > The items I seek (in order of importance to me):
          > Mini-Expander (with controllers and two additional sound channels)
          > 16K Memory cartridge
          > Data Recorder (cassette deck with proprietary cable)
          >
          > I'd be interested in anything else (including any extra software
          > carts), but other items are much rarer, such as a 32K Memory
          > cartridge, 40 column thermal printer, 300 baud modem, plotter, Quick
          > Disk drive, etc. Any help finding these would be appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks - Bob

        • Bob Shuster
          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 19, 2009

            I don't have pictures, but there's not much to show yet - just the keyboard unit and some cartridges.  It's piled on a small table with a bunch of other systems I plan on getting up and running some day.  I've been concentrating on my vintage video game systems lately - they're a lot easier to get going and display...  The Aquarius isn't far behind in simplicity though. Since it was so *thoroughly* unsuccessful, there are only about a dozen or so software titles on cartridges, and I pretty much listed all the hardware.  I've never seen another software tape other than the one I have (that I believe shipped with it?)

            - Bob

            Posted by: "Bill Degnan" billdeg@...   billdeg

            Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:44 pm (PST)

            Bob
            Sounds like a nice system. Do you have pictures?
            Bill
          • Bryan Pope
            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 19, 2009
              Bob Shuster wrote:

              > I don't have pictures, but there's not much to show yet - just
              > the keyboard unit and some cartridges. It's piled on a small
              > table with a bunch of other systems I plan on getting up and
              > running some day. I've been concentrating on my vintage video
              > game systems lately - they're a lot easier to get going and
              > display... The Aquarius isn't far behind in simplicity though.
              > Since it was so *thoroughly* unsuccessful, there are only about
              > a dozen or so software titles on cartridges, and I pretty much
              > listed all the hardware. I've never seen another software tape
              > other than the one I have (that I believe shipped with it?)

              Bob,

              What vintage video game systems do you have?

              Cheers,

              Bryan
            • Bill Degnan
              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 19, 2009
                FYI - Although no one asked me...here is a list of my pre-SuperNintendo
                console game systems

                Fairchild F
                Atari 2600 (all three models)
                ColecoVision
                Odyssey 2
                Coleco Telstar
                Coleco Telstar Colormatic
                Odyssey 100
                Odyssey 200
                Nintendo FamilyCom

                Bill
              • Bryan Pope
                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 19, 2009
                  Bill Degnan wrote:
                  > FYI - Although no one asked me...here is a list of my pre-SuperNintendo
                  > console game systems
                  >
                  > Fairchild F
                  > Atari 2600 (all three models)

                  Including the 2600 Jr.?
                  > ColecoVision
                  > Odyssey 2
                  > Coleco Telstar
                  > Coleco Telstar Colormatic
                  > Odyssey 100
                  > Odyssey 200
                  > Nintendo FamilyCom

                  What is a FamilyCom? Is that different then the original Nintendo?

                  Cheers,

                  Bryan
                • Brian Cirulnick
                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 19, 2009
                    --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Pope <bryan.pope@...>
                    wrote:

                    > What is a FamilyCom? Is that different then the original Nintendo?

                    ---------

                    The Famicom was the 8-bit Nintendo for the Japanese market. It had more
                    peripherals that allowed it to be a complete home entertainment system
                    and home computer.

                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Entertainment_System

                    ttyl
                    Brian C.
                  • Timothy J Fagan
                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 19, 2009
                      Oh boy... lists...! Smile emoticon

                      Also - rudely without request - here is my list console-wise (of what I can currently recall):

                      Magnavox Odyssey 100 (Pong)
                      Sears IV-Sports (Pong) (unopened - Woot!)
                      Radio Shack TV Scoreboard (Pong)
                      Fairchild Channel F (both versions)
                      Atari Stunt Cycle (SC 450)
                      Atari Video Pinball  (C-380)
                      RCA Studio II
                      Magnavox Odyssey 2
                      Bally Astrocade
                      Atari 2600 (I think all 3 models also)
                      Colecovision
                      Intellivision
                      Vectrex
                      Atari 5200
                      Sega Master System
                      Nintendo NES
                      Sega Genesis/CD/32X
                      Sega MegaDrive
                      Turbo Grafx 16/CD
                      Atari XEGS
                      Philips 3DO
                      Atari 7800
                      Super Nintendo
                      Sega Saturn
                      Nintendo Virtual Boy
                      Atari Jaguar
                      Sony PS1
                      Nintendo 64
                      Sega Dreamcast
                      Sony PS2
                      Nintendo Gamecube
                      MS Xbox
                      Nintendo Wii
                      MX Xbox 360
                      [No PS3 yet... Sad smile emoticon]

                      Message 10 of 26 , Feb 19, 2009

                        FYI, here' s my pre-Nintendo list ;

                        Atari CX-2600 (6switch)
                        Atari Ultra Pong w/ 4controllers
                        Atari Video Pinball
                        Bally Astrocade
                        Fairchild Channel F
                        Sears TeleGames Pong (Atari Pong)
                        Sears TeleGames Super Video Arcade (Mattel Intellivison I)
                        Coleco Telstar Alpha
                        Coleco Telstar Combat
                        Coleco Colecovision w/Atari Expansion module
                        Magnavox Odyssey 200
                        Magnavox Odyssey 400
                        Magnavox Odyssey 2 ***setup in my kitchen
                        Mattel Intellivision II  ***setup in my living room
                        Vectrex w/ 1 controller

                        =Dan

                        Message 11 of 26 , Feb 19, 2009
                          Brian Cirulnick wrote:
                          > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Pope <bryan.pope@...>
                          > wrote:
                          >

                          >> What is a FamilyCom? Is that different then the original Nintendo?
                          >>

                          > ---------
                          >
                          > The Famicom was the 8-bit Nintendo for the Japanese market. It had more
                          > peripherals that allowed it to be a complete home entertainment system
                          > and home computer.
                          >
                          > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Entertainment_System
                          >
                          > ttyl
                          > Brian C.

                          I have a "computer" version with a 3" (it's smaller than 3.5) disk drive
                          and extra 3rd party software copying hardware.
                          Message 12 of 26 , Feb 19, 2009
                            The Bally Astrocade is on my wishlist!

                            Dan Roganti wrote:
                            > <!-- /* start of attachment style */ .ygrp-photo-title{ clear: both;
                            > font-size: smaller; height: 15px; overflow: hidden; text-align:
                            > center; width: 75px; } div.ygrp-photo{ background-position: center;
                            > background-repeat: no-repeat; background-color: white; border: 1px
                            > solid black; height: 62px; width: 62px; } div.photo-title a,
                            > div.photo-title a:active, div.photo-title a:hover, div.photo-title
                            > a:visited { text-decoration: none; } div.attach-table div.attach-row {
                            > clear: both; } div.attach-table div.attach-row div { float: left; /*
                            > margin: 2px;*/ } p { clear: both; padding: 15px 0 3px 0; overflow:
                            > hidden; } p span { color: #628C2A; } div.ygrp-file { width: 30px;
                            > valign: middle; } div.attach-table div.attach-row div div a {
                            > text-decoration: none; } div.attach-table div.attach-row div div span
                            > { font-weight: normal; } div.ygrp-file-title { font-weight: bold; } /*
                            > end of attachment style */ -->
                            > FYI, here' s my pre-Nintendo list ;
                            >
                            > Atari CX-2600 (6switch)
                            > Atari Ultra Pong w/ 4controllers
                            > Atari Video Pinball
                            > Bally Astrocade
                            > Fairchild Channel F
                            > Sears TeleGames Pong (Atari Pong)
                            > Sears TeleGames Super Video Arcade (Mattel Intellivison I)
                            > Coleco Telstar Alpha
                            > Coleco Telstar Combat
                            > Coleco Colecovision w/Atari Expansion module
                            > Magnavox Odyssey 200
                            > Magnavox Odyssey 400
                            > Magnavox Odyssey 2 ***setup in my kitchen
                            > Mattel Intellivision II ***setup in my living room
                            > Vectrex w/ 1 controller
                            >
                            > =Dan
                            > [ = http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/ ]

                          • Christian Liendo
                            Message 13 of 26 , Feb 19, 2009
                              I also have a Japanese Famicom, I have the box and some games..
                              Got it off a Japanese lady for $10

                              I also have a NEC TurboDuo, it was the TurboGrafix with the built in CD

                              I have a
                              Atari 5200
                              Sega Saturn
                              DreamCast
                              Atari Lynx
                              Apple Pippin (yea I have a Developer Pippin with the zip drive option)

                              I have a whole bunch of Pong/Pong like games in storage, I brought a weird K-Mart branded one to the last party

                            • Bob Shuster
                              Message 14 of 26 , Feb 20, 2009
                                It's still growing - I'm always on the lookout - but currently my collection consists of (not necessarily in chronological order - but all in working order!):

                                Sears Telegames Atari Pong C-100
                                Atari 2600 heavy sixer (x2)
                                Mattel Intellivision model 2609 (where they got the model number from is beyond me - this was the first one!)
                                Nintendo Entertainment System (NES model NES-001)
                                Sega Genesis (model 1601)
                                Super Nintendo (SNES model SNS-001)

                                not really vintage
                                Nintendo 64 (N64 model NUS-001)
                                Sony PlayStation (x3)
                                (original models - before it was called PlayStation One - only one works)
                                Sony PlayStation 2 (original model - with network adapter and hard drive)
                                Nintendo Wii

                                I've tried to get the original model for my collection where possible.  I'm still looking for a Fairchild Channel F, Vectrex, ColecoVision, and perhaps some of the other Sega systems (Sega Master System, Sega Dreamcast, etc.)  I'm not really interested in handhelds, but I do have my eye on a Nintendo Virtual Boy unit.  Also not really interested in Xbox or PS3, but I would grab a Nintendo GameCube if I saw it - just to have a more complete Nintendo collection.  (I also have a Nintendo DS Lite, but haven't used it much once I got my iPhone!  :)

                                The trickiest part is having all of these hooked up to a single display with various switchboxes.  I'm still working on a better solution for the older ones with RF output only.

                                - Bob
                                Message 15 of 26 , Feb 20, 2009
                                  Message
                                  >>>  I'm still working on a better solution for the older ones with RF output only.

                                  Just use RF-to-coax adapters.  They are very inexpensive and give a better picture.
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Feb 20, 2009
                                    Message
                                    >>> Just use RF-to-coax adapters.  They are very inexpensive and give a better picture.

                                    Oops.  I was thinking of coax-to-RCA.  But aren't there also RF-to-coax adapters?  Then maybe you could use TWO adapters .... first RF to coax, then coax to RCA.
                                  • Sridhar Ayengar
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Feb 20, 2009
                                      Evan Koblentz wrote:
                                      > better picture.
                                      >
                                      > Oops. I was thinking of coax-to-RCA. But aren't there also RF-to-coax
                                      > adapters? Then maybe you could use TWO adapters .... first RF to coax,
                                      > then coax to RCA.

                                      Ugh. Terminology.

                                      Co-ax is a kind of cable. RF is a frequency of transmission. RF can be
                                      transmitted on co-ax cable. RCA is a connector. It is primarily used
                                      on co-ax cable. The connector used for cable TV RF transmission is
                                      called an F connector. It is designed to be used with RG58, RG59 or RG6
                                      co-ax cable.

                                      Peace... Sridhar
                                    • Joe Giliberti
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Feb 20, 2009
                                        I have:
                                        x2 4 switch 2600
                                        A POS Chinese Genesis/NES combo machine called the GN twin. Works though.

                                        --
                                        "You work with your females, arm them, and force them to wear clothing!"

                                      • Bob Shuster
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Feb 20, 2009
                                          The RF output devices have either a permanent cable attached with a male RCA connector, or a female RCA port (to which one would connect a MM RCA cable.)   To connect them to a modern TV that has F-connector coaxial input (cable/antenna input) one can use an adapter like Evan describes and it works just fine.  The difficulty comes when one has 3 or 4 of these devices to connect to a TV (and also still has to deal with the cable TV or antenna input to watch regular TV!)   I need a switchbox of some sort that either switches the source with F-connectors all around (I would need an adapter for each device), switches the source using RCA connectors (only one adapter needed), or accepts RF RCA input and converts (and switches) to composite output.  This last device would be ideal, but I don't know that one exists.

                                          Ah the joys of old technology!  :)  I'm considering taking my spare Atari 2600 and modifying it for composite output.  There used to be a kit you could buy (I presume it used alligator clips or somesuch) that allowed you to do this without modifying the 2600, but I'm pretty sure I can do it if I don't mind a permanent modification.  Has anyone tried this?  It pretty much involves removing the RF modulator and grabbing the chrominance and luminance signals directly (plus audio.)  Seems like a pretty simple and straightforward hack, but it *is* a hack.

                                          - Bob

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Feb 20, 2009
                                            Evan Koblentz wrote:
                                            > better picture.
                                            >
                                            > Oops. I was thinking of coax-to-RCA. But aren't there also
                                            > RF-to-coax adapters? Then maybe you could use TWO adapters .... first
                                            > RF to coax, then coax to RCA.
                                            There is female RCA to female coax. Put this adapter on one end of a
                                            coax cable and screw then other end into your TV. Since all of the
                                            vintage video game systems have male RCA-type connector, you can now
                                            easily switch to another system. Also, if you would like the sound to
                                            go to your home theatre system instead of your TV, hookup the coax cable
                                            to a VCR instead of the TV. This will split out the audio and video for
                                            you.

                                            Cheers,

                                            Bryan
                                          • Andrew Molloy
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Feb 20, 2009
                                              Bob, I'll check the attic this weekend and see if I have any extras. I
                                              thought I had a second mini-expander--if so I'll send it your way.

                                              Andy

                                              On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 3:15 PM, Bob Shuster <bob@...> wrote:
                                              > I don't have pictures, but there's not much to show yet - just the keyboard
                                              > unit and some cartridges. It's piled on a small table with a bunch of other
                                              > systems I plan on getting up and running some day. I've been concentrating
                                              > on my vintage video game systems lately - they're a lot easier to get going
                                              > and display... The Aquarius isn't far behind in simplicity though. Since it
                                              > was so *thoroughly* unsuccessful, there are only about a dozen or so
                                              > software titles on cartridges, and I pretty much listed all the hardware.
                                              > I've never seen another software tape other than the one I have (that I
                                              > believe shipped with it?)
                                              >
                                              > - Bob
                                              >
                                              > Posted by: "Bill Degnan" billdeg@ degnanco.com billdeg
                                              >
                                              > Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:44 pm (PST)
                                              >
                                              > Bob
                                              > Sounds like a nice system. Do you have pictures?
                                              > Bill

                                            • Timothy J Fagan
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Feb 21, 2009
                                                Hi Bob,

                                                If I understand your dilemma correctly (and I may not), you're wanting to have, for example, 3 vintage consoles using RCA-to-Coax adapters plugged into one coax-in on your TV?

                                                If so, this can be done with a run-of-the-mill coax splitter like you'd use to run cable from the line into your house to multiple TVs. I have two TVs in my arcade/museum that have this exact setup. You plug a coax cable from the 'IN' line on the splitter to the TV. Then plug as many consoles up to the 'OUT' connectors as you have/need on the splitter. The only caveat is that you can only have one console turned on at a time or they'll interfere and you won't be able to see/hear anything properly.

                                                Hope that helps.

                                                --Timster--

                                                Sent: Friday, February 20, 2009 5:18 PM

                                                Message 23 of 26 , Feb 21, 2009
                                                  RadioShack used to sell a A/B/C 3-way TV switch (15.1218), but it is not
                                                  on their website anymore. If you were to phone up your local
                                                  RadioShack, they would be able to do a part lookup for you as some
                                                  stores may still have it in stock. Plus they would be able to see if
                                                  nearby stores happen to have it.

                                                  Cheers,

                                                  Bryan

                                                • Bob Shuster
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Feb 22, 2009
                                                    If I just use an F-connector splitter, I have to disconnect the cable input every time - the signal is too strong and I don't turn off the cable box because it's connected to a TiVo unit.  If I use one of those 3-way splitters, that only allows 2 games to be hooked up (one will be taken by the cable box output.)  I haven't seen one of these that splits more than 3 ways that wasn't over $100 and I'm actually trying to find one that will work for at least 4 and maybe up to 8 inputs.

                                                    I thought I might be able to find or make a switchbox to switch signals at the RCA connector, but I have to find a proper switch.  Any hardware hackers on the group that can help out?  I have to figure out if I need to switch both sides of the RF output or if one is simply ground, then find the appropriate switch.  It will be much easier to find a single pole switch of course, but I'll either need a 1P8T or 2P8T rotary switch and a metal project case (RF throws out a lot of RF interference for some reason!) and probably some ferrite loops.   A radio button type switch would be great too, but I have no idea where I might find one of those.  As I mentioned, I could also set up a digital switch, but that's a lot more work than I want to get into - for now anyway.  :)

                                                    I do have an old Pelican switchbox that does composite switching and also has a game/video switch for the F-connector coax output.  I have tested and found that it does not convert the composite inputs to the F-connector RF output, but it might be just enough if I used just the video connectors for my RCA-connector RF outputs and it switched those - I have to experiment.  These switches I can get.  This switch *is* currently in use - it switches between my Sega Genesis, SNES & N64, all of which have composite output in addition to RF output if you have the right cable.

                                                    But hey - this just occurred to me - a combination of the two F-connector solutions...  I could use an A/B F-connector box to switch off the cable box output, and just use a splitter to pull the RF games outputs in on the B leg - no reason more than one of them would be on at a time.

                                                    I'm really just trying to simplify what is already a fairly complex setup.  Thanks for the input guys and sorry for the verbosity.  :)

                                                    -=  Bob  =-

                                                    If I understand your dilemma correctly (and I may not), you're wanting to have, for example, 3 vintage consoles using RCA-to-Coax adapters plugged into one coax-in on your TV?
                                                  • Bill Dromgoole
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Feb 22, 2009
                                                      There are a lot of sources for four way splitters under $15.You could even use 3 three way switches to get 7 inputs to one TV, all of them fully isolated.Just connect the output of the two three-way switches to two of the inputs of a three way switch. You can then use the six inputs available from the first two switches and the third unused input from the last switch for the seventh input.You will also need two short cables with F connectors on each end to connect the switches. Three switches can be had for less than $15.00

                                                      Three way switch.

                                                      Four way splitter at Home Depot.

                                                      Four way splitter at Radio Shack

                                                      The splitters can be purchased from Lowes also but the photo on their web page is wrong.

                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Feb 22, 2009
                                                        RCA female to F .Use this to connect cable with male RCA connector to the splitter or switch.
                                                        or use this less expensive RCA female to F adapter.

                                                        Rca Male to F adapter. Use for units that have female RCA connectors along with a short coax cable to connect to the splitter or switch

                                                        Or use this for a right ange RCA male to F adapter if it is more convienient.

                                                        Bill #3