What next? (aka InfoAge event dinner chat summary, part 2)

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 15, 2005
      >>> Me, Bill D., Kelly, and Kelly's wife Ann went to dinner at Applebees.
      We talked about club business (another email to follow),

      So as promised, here's an update on the chat over dinner this weekend.

      1. Our museum efforts. We'll probably get a space in the main building
      (where we were this weekend) until the government/army gets some more
      paperwork done. Officially, this will be a temporary space, and eventually
      InfoAge will have a bigger space for us in a different building. But in
      reality, at the pace they're getting work done -- a snail's pace -- we are
      likely to be at the "temporary" home for years. The good news: this is just
      fine! Being in the main building will put us at the heart of where the
      action is, vs. being isolated elsewhere with a few more square feet of
      space. And, the entire basement of this building is mostly empty storage
      space, completely available to us. (There are two ways to access the
      basement -- down a flight of stairs and through an outdoor ramp.) We're
      welcome to start right away. The first step is to get the remaining half of
      Mr. Grabbe's collection moved from his home in Harrisburg, PA to InfoAge.
      Then, we can begin a serious effort to catalog everything (vs. the informal
      database that we already have and the initial hands-on examinations done
      this weekend and last weekend.) Finally, once that's done, we can begin
      making permanent exhibits.

      2. Incorporating the club. Jim S. and I are still working on this. We're
      getting the details straight for how to incorporate with the state of NJ,
      and how to get a bank account in that name. Once that's done, we can start
      something very important -- fundraising! Jim estimates that we'll need a
      couple of thousand dollars to really get serious about the museum and stuff.
      We (and other members, especially Bill D.) have a few ideas such as applying
      for grants and selling things. What exactly we can sell (not systems, but
      supporting items such as books, posters, etc.) is to be determined. We can
      expect VCF to be a decent money-maker. But we'll need at least SOME money
      before then in order to rent tables, buy insurance for the show, etc.

      3. What to do next, event-wise. We've discussed a road trip here on the
      list, either to the Boston or DC areas, but all indications so far are that
      it would be a pain to organize and wouldn't be very well attended. So, here
      is an alternative and vastly simpler idea: a "bring-all-yer-crap" swap meet.
      This will be the one time where it's okay to haul out ALL kinds of generic
      computing and electronics gear, whether from 1970 or 2005! Chris and Jim,
      you guys will love this event. :) InfoAge seems to be a good, central
      location, and the nice thing about a swap meet is this: no rules! Well,
      almost. The rule will be that everyone who wants a table (whether a MARCH
      member or not) pays $10 for the day. This is for club fundraising. All
      general attendees will pay $5, and children under 12 will be free. I'll
      extend invitations to as many local computer clubs (from all over the
      mid-atlantic region) as I can find.

      3.5 So, that's the idea in theory -- what do ya'll think? When is a good
      time to do a swap meet? I'm thinking early/mid-October. The challenge:
      finding a large amount of decent tables for free, or finding a cheap place
      to rent them. I know everyone is very anxious to start planning the VCF
      East 3.0 event, but by doing a swap meet first, we will spread local
      awareness of our club, and we will get some money to work with -- absolute
      prerequisites for holding a successful VCF. Also, fyi, VCF's Sellam Ismail
      joined our list this weekend. He'll speak up when necessary with advice,
      guidance, and suggestions.

      4. Per advice given at the dinner this weekend (sorry, I forget who said
      it), I will personally send an email to all of the club members who've been
      lurking on the list. Not everyone posted an email address, but most did.
      Or, if you're a lurker and read this far, save me the trouble and speak up
      now! We want to know where you're from, what your vintage computing
      interests are, how you heard about us, what you think about our plans, etc.

      - Evan

      - 770 readers and no spam / Publishes every Monday / Write for us!
    • Evan
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 15, 2005
        Oh, just to clarify on the swap meet idea -- this would NOT be an 'exhibition' of nice, working, shiny computers, as we had at Trenton and InfoAge, and as we'll have at VCF -- this is ONLY a swap meet for "all yer crap" per the title.   :)

        - W: http://news.computercollector.com  E: news@...