"Commuter" made by Visual Computer (was:Wanted list for Saturday)

  • billdeg@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 11, 2005
      Jim,
      I have one computer in my collection you might like to see a picture of:
      http://www.vintagecomputer.net/visualcomputer/
      It's a "Commuter" made by Visual Computer.

      Bill

      In a message dated 8/11/2005 3:28:37 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      jscheef@... writes:

      > My collecting interests are:
      >
      > - early laptops and small portable computers (if it has a hard drive, it's
      > too late or too big)
      > - early pen-based computers of all kinds
      > - IBM PCjr stuff
      >
      > In particular I'm loooking for a SCSI adapter for the jr and the card and
      > software that ran on an XT to make the PCjr Cluster network that IBM sold
      > schools.
    • Evan
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 11, 2005
        Here is the entry from Mike Nadeau's book:

        -------------------------------
        Visual Computer Inc.
        (Marlborough, Mass.)

        The Commuter's small LCD was removeable so that a standard monitor could more easily be used with the system.

        Nov. 1983, original retail price: $1,995

        Base configuration: 8088 CPU, MS-DOS 2.1, 128K RAM (512K max), 5.25-inch floppy drive, monochrome LCD, RGB, and composite video ports, integral keyboard/keypad, RS-232C and parallel ports
        Video: 16-line by 80-column text
        Size/weight: 15 x 18 x 3 inches, 16 lbs.
        Important options: expansion chassis, external 5.25-inch floppy drive
        Value: $8-$30
        -------------------------------

        However, the book was published in 2002, so Mike always cautions about relying on his prices.

        I only have one copy, so it's not for sale, but I will bring the book on Saturday just to show the public.

        - Evan

        PS - I'm sure Fred would frown on us making any sales this weekend, just like at the Trenton event, since this is an exhibition and not a swap meet.  However, I will ask him if it's okay to conduct some club fundraising.  If he says yes, then I will bring a bunch of copies of my museums guide to sell, and will give the money to MARCH -- hopefully enough to buy us dinner.

        jscheef@... writes:

        > My collecting interests are:

        >  -
        early laptops and small portable computers (if it has a hard drive, it's
        >  too late or too big)
        >  - early pen-based
        computers of all kinds

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 11, 2005
          Bill,

          I believe the Visual was one of the first 'small screen' DOS machines. It
          predated the 16-line machines like the HP-110, Tandy 600, and Zenith ZP-150.
          Is the screen 8 lines?

          Jim