MARCH library update

    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 7, 2009
      Message
      Joe and I did some more work in the soon-to-be MARCH library today.  We bought clear waterproofing paint.  We also spent a couple of hours doing prep work -- scraping away some loose paint, vacuuming up debris, and sweeping (and re-sweeping, and re-re-sweeping) the floor.  So that area of our basement storage room is MUCH cleaner than when we started.

      I'm wondering if there is any advantage to taking a mop and washing the floor.  Would that help / hinder / have no impact on any remaining dust?

      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 7, 2009
        Evan,

        Sweeping will just push the dust around. A lot of mopping will help.

        Jim

        Evan Koblentz wrote:

        > Joe and I did some more work in the soon-to-be MARCH library today. We
        > bought clear waterproofing paint. We also spent a couple of hours
        > doing prep work -- scraping away some loose paint, vacuuming up
        > debris, and sweeping (and re-sweeping, and re-re-sweeping) the floor.
        > So that area of our basement storage room is MUCH cleaner than when we
        > started.
        > I'm wondering if there is any advantage to taking a mop and washing
        > the floor. Would that help / hinder / have no impact on any remaining
        > dust?

      • Bryan Pope
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 7, 2009
          Evan Koblentz wrote:
          > Joe and I did some more work in the soon-to-be MARCH library today.
          > We bought clear waterproofing paint. We also spent a couple of hours
          > doing prep work -- scraping away some loose paint, vacuuming up
          > debris, and sweeping (and re-sweeping, and re-re-sweeping) the floor.
          > So that area of our basement storage room is MUCH cleaner than when we
          > started.
          >
          > I'm wondering if there is any advantage to taking a mop and washing
          > the floor. Would that help / hinder / have no impact on any remaining
          > dust?

          I think that would be a *very* good thing. A wet mop would help a lot.
          It would probably even be a good thing to wash the floor a couple of
          times.. ie mop with soap and water, then rinse, dry and repeat.

          Cheers,

          Bryan
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 7, 2009
            Roomba or scuba?

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 7, 2009
              >>> Sweeping will just push the dust around.

              That was the case when we started. Then we got smarter about it. We
              postioned a fan toward the open exit door, so that the dust cloud went OUT
              of the room ... genius huh? After a whole bunch of sweeping, we had a big
              pile of schmutz. Disposed of said pile.

              Based on all initial feedback tonight, we shall mop the floor.
            • Sridhar Ayengar
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 8, 2009
                B Degnan wrote:
                > Roomba or scuba?

                I own both. They don't work that well for cleaning. They're very
                entertaining to watch, but they don't clean very well at all.

                Peace... Sridhar
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 8, 2009
                  Evan,

                  If the floor is not really clean and dry, the coating will soon flake
                  and peel. Read the documentation on the pail and do whatever it says for
                  surface preparation. In our library, the flakes should be what walks
                  thru the door, not what comes off the floor! :-^)

                  Jim

                  Evan Koblentz wrote:

                  > That was the case when we started. Then we got smarter about it. We
                  > postioned a fan toward the open exit door, so that the dust cloud went OUT
                  > of the room ... genius huh? After a whole bunch of sweeping, we had a big
                  > pile of schmutz. Disposed of said pile.
                  >
                  > Based on all initial feedback tonight, we shall mop the floor.
                  > _

                • Ray Sills
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 8, 2009
                    True.. you want the floor to be clean -and- dry. At least this time
                    of year the humidity is fairly low, so that should mean that you can
                    get the floor dry enough after a mopping or two. Using the fan will
                    help dry it out. Maybe a heat lamp or two would help.

                    73 de Ray

                    On Feb 8, 2009, at 10:15 AM, Jim Scheef wrote:

                    > Evan,
                    >
                    > If the floor is not really clean and dry, the coating will soon flake
                    > and peel. Read the documentation on the pail and do whatever it says
                    > for
                    > surface preparation. In our library, the flakes should be what walks
                    > thru the door, not what comes off the floor! :-^)
                    >
                    > Jim

                    >> That was the case when we started. Then we got smarter about it. We
                    >> postioned a fan toward the open exit door, so that the dust cloud
                    >> went OUT
                    >> of the room ... genius huh? After a whole bunch of sweeping, we had
                    >> a big
                    >> pile of schmutz. Disposed of said pile.
                    >>
                    >> Based on all initial feedback tonight, we shall mop the floor.
                    >> _

                  • Joe Giliberti
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 8, 2009
                      Speaking of all the dust, does anyone have the name a good mesothelioma attorney?

                      What I think I would do for the sake of cleaning would be to dump some water on the floor, stir it up a but with a mop, and then vacuum it up with the shop vac.

                      As for the unlevelness, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KA5DES/ref=asc_df_B000KA5DES710105?smid=A12QCB28TZ2MIN&tag=shopzilla_rev_286-20&linkCode=asn

                      --
                      "You work with your females, arm them, and force them to wear clothing!"

                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 8, 2009
                        >>> stir it up a but with a mop

                        Sounds painful.

                        From: Joe Giliberti
                        Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 13:38:30 -0500
                        To: <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>

                        --
                        "You work with your females, arm them, and force them to wear clothing!"

                      • evan@snarc.net
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 30, 2009
                          Decided last night that the waterproof sealer paint we bought for the MARCH interim library floor isn't worth the effort.

                          Even if we apply several coats, water could easily get in from other places in the basement. Also, ever since InfoAge's facilities people rearranged the drainage system last year, there hasn't been a single drop of H20 in the basement.

                          So, revised plan: 1., donate the two bottles of waterproof sealer paint to InfoAge, 2. assemble our metal shelves (which I actually enjoy doing), 3. make the bottom shelf a foot or two above the ground just in case, 4. put our effort into creatively arranging one of InfoAge's dehumidifiers, 5. teach ourselves how to read so all those books might be useful. :)
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 1 9:43 AM
                            Evan,

                            I thought the purpose of the water sealer was to keep out/reduce
                            humidity in the library room - not liquid water. It was the concern
                            about humidity and the resultant mildew that brought up the water
                            sealer. Are you sure not doing it is a good idea or just an expediency?

                            Jim

                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 12, 2011
                              Post-VCF (although there's a small chance of doing this pre-VCF), we can get our library into order. I am really looking forward to that!

                              I am pretty sure that we have full or at least mostly complete runs (at least through 1984) of Byte, Creative Computing, Dr. Dobb's Journal, Interface Age, and Kilobaud -- we also have doubles, triples, and even fourths and fifths of many issues.

                              If we have any redundant full sets, then may consider selling those intact. If we do it, then MARCHins will have first dibs. After that we'd get into individual loose copies.

                              We also have substantial (but incomplete / inconsistent) collections of ACGNJ, People's Computer Company, Hobby Computing, MITS Computer Notes, Recreational Computing, ROM, and SCCA Interface. Also, assorted issues of newsletters from Chicago and Dallas, and from the Xitan/TDL company.

                              I am probably forgetting some other titles.

                              Book-wise, we're stocked!

                              We have most if not all of the Blacksburg Group Bugbooks, most if not all of the "Cookbook" series, dozens of general-audience computer books, and dozens (maybe hundreds) of academic/technical books covering all major aspects of computer science, electronics, and (to some extent) telecommunications. We also have a huge assortment of catalogs, data sheets, and manuals.

                              We don't have a lot of computer history books per se. I have many in my personal library. Someday (probably when I finish writing my own book) I will donate them.

                              In total, we have vastly more books / periodicals than we could ever fit on shelves in our current exhibit rooms.

                              But thanks to Nick's recent monetary donation, and the availability of dozens of file cabinets at InfoAge, we can ensure that our library is stored in a respectable manner.