Re: [midatlanticretro] Cray 1 service manual

  • Ray Sills
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 7, 2009
      Per Wikipedia:

      The initial model, the Cray-1A, weighed 5.5 tons including the freon
      refrigeration system. Configured with 1 million words of RAM, the
      machine and its power supplies consumed about 115 kW of power; cooling
      and storage likely more than doubled this figure.

      The Cray-1 was built as a 64-bit system, a departure from the
      7600/6600 which were 60-bit machines (a change also planned for the
      8600). Addressing was 24-bit, for a maximum of 1 megaword (8 MB) of
      main memory. Memory was spread across 16 banks, each with a 50 ns
      cycle time, allowing up to four words to be read per cycle.

      73 de Ray