Cray 1 service manual

  • Dave Sica
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 7, 2009
      Cray 1 service manual online at http://www.ebaman.com

      If I read it correctly, the machine sported up to a megabyte of RAM and nearly 10 GB of disk space!

      --Dave Sica

      Compete with the big boys. Click here to find products to benefit your business.

    • Ray Sills
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 7, 2009
        Per Wikipedia:

        The initial model, the Cray-1A, weighed 5.5 tons including the freon
        refrigeration system. Configured with 1 million words of RAM, the
        machine and its power supplies consumed about 115 kW of power; cooling
        and storage likely more than doubled this figure.

        The Cray-1 was built as a 64-bit system, a departure from the
        7600/6600 which were 60-bit machines (a change also planned for the
        8600). Addressing was 24-bit, for a maximum of 1 megaword (8 MB) of
        main memory. Memory was spread across 16 banks, each with a 50 ns
        cycle time, allowing up to four words to be read per cycle.

        73 de Ray