Re: [midatlanticretro] Wanted list for Saturday

    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 11, 2005
      Kelly and all,

      My collecting interests are:

      - early laptops and small portable computers (if it has a hard drive, it's
      too late or too big)
      - early pen-based computers of all kinds
      - IBM PCjr stuff

      In particular I'm loooking for a SCSI adapter for the jr and the card and
      software that ran on an XT to make the PCjr Cluster network that IBM sold to
      schools.

      I realize that few people have any of this stuff in their basements, but you
      never know...

      Jim

      --- Kelly Leavitt <kelly@...> wrote:

      > To add to what Jim Scheef already mentioned, does anyone need anything in
      > particular? I have shelves and boxes full of various treasures (like a
      > complete XT class clone). Of the people that are going to be there, what do
      > you need?
      >
      > I personally am looking for any parts and software for Tandy computers that
      > others may consider "spare" or at least "borrowable for copying".
      >
      > I have available:
      > floppy drives,
      > IDE, RLL, MFM, ESDI hard drives
      > ISA controllers for each
      > ISA VGA cards
      > 486 motherboards
      > the XT clone mentioned above
      > software, books, manuals
      > DRAM of various sizes
      >
      > Just ask, if I have it I'll bring it.

    • chrism3667
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 12, 2005
        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Kelly Leavitt <kelly@c...>
        wrote:
        > To add to what Jim Scheef already mentioned, does anyone need
        anything in
        > particular?

        Yes, a great many things, but not necessarily anything you're
        bringing on Saturday :)

        >I have shelves and boxes full of various treasures (like a
        > complete XT class clone).

        Is this a no-name jobber, or proprietary? Just curious, I really
        don't have any more space right now (for anything not in the
        extremely unusual category). But the notion of anything with an 80x86
        being unusual is quite absurd...right Evan??? But you seem to change
        your opinions on that so often it's hard to tell from week to week ;)

        >Of the people that are going to be there, what do
        > you need?

        Can't even swear I'll be there. Pulling another 85 hour week.

        And Kelly, I don't suppose you'd ever bring one of those boxes you
        use to archive 8" disks to a show, but perhaps at some point I could
        send you some disks, or drop by? My APC has both 8" and 5 1/4"
        drives, but the latter are aftermarket and require a driver (I may
        not even have it). It's possible the DOS disks that were supplied
        have the drivers for that and the graphics tablets that also came
        with the package, but If I attempt to boot the computer, and
        subsequently have problems archiving the disks, I'll be up the creek
        if you will. Believe you me, I've seen it happen. I doubt I'll find
        these types of disks again. Therefore it would be nice if I were able
        to take them to someone who had the ability to simply image them. And
        what software do you use to do this? I am hoping I find a way to get
        the thing to boot off the external 5 1/4's. I found a site with
        images of plain ol' DOS for these things :)

        What are the hours for this event anyhow?
      • Kelly Leavitt
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 12, 2005
          > And Kelly, I don't suppose you'd ever bring one of those boxes you
          > use to archive 8" disks to a show, but perhaps at some point I could
          > send you some disks, or drop by?

          This machine is not ready for prime time yet. Maybe I'll bring some
          pictures. It'll take several just to get a feel for how convoluted a
          construction this is.

          My biggest problems right now are:
          I have no enclosure for the 8" drives
          I need to make another 34 to 50 pin adapter
          (or one of the new catweasels)
          I need to insall an FM capable controller
          (I have a 1542 that should work)

          Other than that, everything is just jake ;-)

          Kelly
        • Kelly Leavitt
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 12, 2005
            >>I have shelves and boxes full of various treasures (like a
            >> complete XT class clone).

            > Is this a no-name jobber, or proprietary? Just curious, I really
            > don't have any more space right now (for anything not in the
            > extremely unusual category). But the notion of anything with an 80x86
            > being unusual is quite absurd...right Evan??? But you seem to change
            > your opinions on that so often it's hard to tell from week to week ;)

            It's just a clone. I also have a PC 5150 WITH cassette and some kind of
            wierd add on for the parallel port, but I wouldn't part with that just yet.

            As for anything 80x86 being unusal...
            I don't know, but I love the Tandy 1000 line. I only have the SX anymore,
            but have a line on an HX and am always on the lookout for any of these in
            the slush piles. I'm also looking for a Tandy 2000, but that is a computer
            of a different color alltogether.

            I also have an 8086 SBC somewhere in the piles-o-junk at the house. That's
            kind of unusual.

            They may not be unique, but the PC and the 1000 were surely pretty
            signifigant in the development of computer history. I'd even go so far as to
            say that without them, we'd not have Linux.

            Think about it. If there wasn't some need to use something other than
            windows, would Linux have developed to where it is today?

            That should stir things up a bit...

            Kelly
          • Chris M
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 12, 2005

              Kelly Leavitt <kelly@...> wrote:

              >It's just a clone.

              I have one of those. This one is a bit interesting though (heaven forbid! :0 ). It was originally dubbed the ATjr, and although mine says AMTjr on the outside, the bootscreen wasn't changed and duh still says ATjr. IBM made the company change the name and pull the ads depicting a kid dressed up in oversized - IIRC - Charlie Chan clothes.

              >As for anything 80x86 being unusal...
              >I don't know, but I love the Tandy 1000 line. I only have >the SX anymore,
              >but have a line on an HX and am always on the lookout for >any of these in
              >the slush piles.

              Amstrad I think it was had a unit similar to the HX (like everything built into a deep keyboard?). There was one on Ebay recently for 10 bucks. I'm sorry I didn't bid on it :(

              >I'm also looking for a Tandy 2000, but that is a computer
              >of a different color alltogether.

               Really? You don't say???

              >I also have an 8086 SBC somewhere in the piles-o-junk at the >house. That's
              >kind of unusual.

               I would imagine you want to keep that. But if not, I'm interested :).

              >They may not be unique, but the PC and the 1000 were surely >pretty
              >signifigant in the development of computer history. I'd even >go so far as to
              >say that without them, we'd not have Linux.

              Although I'd have to say I have higher regard for some slithering mollusks then I do RS corporation, I like the whole Radio Schlock paradigm - YO, IT'S AT THE CORNER!!! I spent considerable time in my early years drooling over alot of their stuph either in person, which ticked off the management to no end (it be hard to sell a pre-drooled puter), or in their catalogs which always seemed well done. And yes the quintessential weirdo is the Tandy 2000. Fantabulous graphics for the time. Although somewhat of a dog internally,  did find it's way in a fair number of engineering/CAD/CAM/scientific settings.

               The fact that '386's were relatively cheap was the reason Linus wrote it on that. His first puter was a Sinclair QL or something. He was impressed by the task switching capability of it and the '386. The intel stuph just dominated and therefore beat out everything else in price.

              >Think about it. If there wasn't some need to use something >other than
              >windows, would Linux have developed to where it is today?

               It finds itself replacing many server apps due to it's superiority, needless to say over Windoze, despite the difficulty getting it up and running sometimes. But the reason it was written was because an affordable UNIX flava wasn't otherwise available, so he wrote his own. The inspiration for Linux was Minix remember, which actually runs on 8086's.

              >That should stir things up a bit...

              You're liable to get kicked out if you keep it up pal. I might even suggest it to the moderator. I find these types of discussions extremely distasteful ;)

              http://mail.yahoo.com

            • Bryan Pope
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 12, 2005
                Chris M wrote:

                > */Kelly Leavitt <kelly@...>/* wrote:
                >
                > >It's just a clone.
                >
                > I have one of those. This one is a bit interesting though (heaven
                > forbid! :0 ). It was originally dubbed the ATjr, and although mine
                > says AMTjr on the outside, the bootscreen wasn't changed and duh
                > still says ATjr. IBM made the company change the name and pull the
                > ads depicting a kid dressed up in oversized - IIRC - Charlie Chan
                > clothes.

                I think you mean Charlie Chaplin...

                > The fact that '386's were relatively cheap was the reason Linus
                > wrote it on that. His first puter was a Sinclair QL or something. He
                > was impressed by the task switching capability of it and the '386.
                > The intel stuph just dominated and therefore beat out everything
                > else in price.

                There was a picture of Linus published showing him and his VIC-20 in the
                November 2003 issue of Wired.

                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_VIC-20

                Cheers,

                Bryan
              • Evan
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 12, 2005

                  LOL, your use of a smiley face there is noted, however, I've felt and said all along that 8080/8086 stuff is just as vintage as a PDP-8.  That stuff was quite unique when it was new; it's historic!  But what's historic, nuances and sarcasm aside, about a 286 or newer?  There was a feature here and there, but mainly it's just incrementally faster.

                  Okay, rant done.  :)

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 12, 2005

                    Bryan Pope <bryan.pope@...> wrote:

                    >I think you mean Charlie Chaplin...

                    Yes that is correct. You see I'm addicted to this thing called sleep, just really don't get any. Makes you loopy as all get out. Do try it sometime though ;)

                    >There was a picture of Linus published showing him and his >VIC-20 in the
                    >November 2003 issue of Wired.

                    Oi. Ok maybe not his first puter, just his foist real one. OOOOOOOH, I didn't say that. I imagine a statement like that could really stir things up ;). I'm getting out of here!

                    http://mail.yahoo.com

                  • Chris M
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 12, 2005
                      Dude, you know you're my bud. You just have this tendency to churn my crank here and there. It's not like we disagree on everything under the sun either ;)
                       I might kind of sort of maybe consider early '286's vintage. Precious few though. If you deem that innapropriate, I'll say and have said I'll cheerfully live with that. But in reality the '286 was unique in that it added additional features to the earlier 8086/88 (i.e. protected mode). Don't want to quibble though :D. And considering that, that kind of makes them kinda new.
                       NOW...I most certainly DO consider '386's historic. It was more significant then the '286 when it came out. Add that to the fact that the earliest version of Linux, version .01 or something ran on it. But, I don't consider it vintage. There probably will come a time when AT's will get thrown in with earlier PC's as far as classic stuph is concerned, but I don't really see '386's becoming vintage in any significant sense. They're the basis for everything modern. I think even Windows 98 (perhaps beta) will run on one. In 50 years maybe. I don't know. What do I know anyway. And we're getting in trouble again with the vintage/classic/historic/old/groovy/dopey/retro semantics again.
                       You're paying for the custard pie next time.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 12, 2005
                        >>>  might kind of sort of maybe consider early '286's vintage. Precious few though

                        Well I agree with the "precious few" part -- some of the more unique desings such as luggables, all-in-ones, etc.

                        >>> I most certainly DO consider '386's historic

                        Ummm.... even precious-er few!

                        - EK

                        "Everything dies, baby that's a fact / But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back..."

                        - Bruce Springsteen

                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 12, 2005

                          Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

                          >>> I most certainly DO consider '386's historic

                          Ummm.... even precious-er few!

                          - EK

                          Historic as used being differentiable from "vintage", "classic", "retro", etc. wotever.

                          Yahoo! Mail