Bill Degnan Guest Speaker at PACS meeting Sat May 16th

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31, 2009
      *Topic Description* - Vintage Computing - How the Evolution of Microcomputing Influenced PACS  - A 1983 Perspective

      By 1983, the original homebrew computer hackers who founded the Philadelphia Area Computing Society of the mid 1970's were disbursing into other realms. The collective goal of the original PACS membership was homebrew hardware hacking, but by 1983 this was no longer the PACS sole purpose.  At this point in history the membership had fragmented to special interest groups, whose focus was increasingly centered around application software and programming.  The changes spurred a lot of debate among the PACS membership and there were many editorials on the subject in the PACS _Data Bus_ newsletter at this time.

      Bill Degnan will discuss Steve Longo's October 1983 _Data Bus_ editorial that documents the transformation of the PACS membership in response to successive milestones in microcomputing.  Steve's editorial also recognizes the contributions of early PACS members in the development of microcomputing.    Although some of the persons described by Mr. Longo are not nationally known, they do reveal the fact that PACS members have made contributions to microcomputing that should be recognized.  Mr. Degnan will bring a photo presentation to support the discussion consisting of computers from the early days of PACS through 1983, and at least one working "vintage" computer from this era.

      As a Philadelphia area resident, it's a source of pride to read about the contribution of Philadelphians to the development of microcomputers and applications.

      If anyone is interested in attending, the Philadelphia Area Computer Society web site is at www.pacsnet.org where you can find out all about us including directions.  I am scheduled for their main session from noon-1PM.  I have been told to expect 50-70 people out of their 200+ membership to attend, most of whom are home users with a general knowledge of computers.  They will range from novices to MS certified consultants.

      It would be great if we had a MARCH contingent to heckle me from the rafters.  :-)

      Jim - Can you add this as an event on our web site?

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 31, 2009
        Message
        Sounds great.  Is Ron K. involved?
        *Topic Description* - Vintage Computing - How the Evolution of Microcomputing Influenced PACS  - A 1983 Perspective
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 31, 2009
          MessageI don't know.

          *Topic Description* - Vintage Computing - How the Evolution of Microcomputing Influenced PACS  - A 1983 Perspective
        • Christian Liendo
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 31, 2009
            Nice... Good luck man

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 1 7:32 PM
              wrote:

              > Sounds great. Is Ron K. involved?

              Hi Guys,

              Good question! This is the first I'm hearing about Bill's
              presentation. I had originally suggested to the PACS Presentation
              Manager that "MARCH" could give a talk on vintage computers, but was
              told that the members of PACS seemed more interested in present and
              future computer developments. It's my opinion that you can't know
              where you're going unless you know where you've been! Personal
              computing has moved so far, so fast, that its history has had little
              time to be recorded or appreciated.

              Anyway, I'd be happy to help in whatever way I can. I don't have any
              more old hardware, but I have lots of photos of my stuff.

              Regards,

              Ron K
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 2 4:49 AM
                rkushnier wrote:
                > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...>
                > wrote:
                >
                >> Sounds great. Is Ron K. involved?
                >>

                > Hi Guys,
                >
                > Good question! This is the first I'm hearing about Bill's
                > presentation. I had originally suggested to the PACS Presentation
                > Manager that "MARCH" could give a talk on vintage computers, but was
                > told that the members of PACS seemed more interested in present and
                > future computer developments. It's my opinion that you can't know
                > where you're going unless you know where you've been! Personal
                > computing has moved so far, so fast, that its history has had little
                > time to be recorded or appreciated.
                >
                > Anyway, I'd be happy to help in whatever way I can. I don't have any
                > more old hardware, but I have lots of photos of my stuff.
                >
                > Regards,
                >
                > Ron K

                Ron,

                The presentation is already finished, I only have an hour so I am going
                to limit the discussion to the topic described in my earlier email. If
                you have a people photos from meetings in 1983 or earlier I could
                incorporate them into my slideshow. Thanks!