Mattel Aquarius Question

  • Matthew Mikolay
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 27, 2009
      Hey everyone! The Mattel Aquarius system that I bought off of eBay
      came in the mail today, and I have a few questions.

      The system powers on, but I am unsure how to hook it up to my TV. The
      wires to connect it to the TV were not included. My TV has RF in, and
      I tried hooking it up using the RF switch from my NES, but it did not
      seem to work.

      I looked in the manual, and the switch the Aquarius included looks a
      lot like the one I have on my Atari 2600
      (http://www.smcelectronics.com/PICTURES/COMPSW-L.JPG). Will this type
      of device work with my Aquarius?

      Thanks!
      ~Matt
    • Bryan Pope
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 27, 2009
        Matthew Mikolay wrote:
        > Hey everyone! The Mattel Aquarius system that I bought off of eBay
        > came in the mail today, and I have a few questions.
        >
        > The system powers on, but I am unsure how to hook it up to my TV. The
        > wires to connect it to the TV were not included. My TV has RF in, and
        > I tried hooking it up using the RF switch from my NES, but it did not
        > seem to work.
        >
        > I looked in the manual, and the switch the Aquarius included looks a
        > lot like the one I have on my Atari 2600
        > (http://www.smcelectronics.com/PICTURES/COMPSW-L.JPG). Will this type
        > of device work with my Aquarius?

        Matt,

        Yes, the Atari 2600 switch adapter should work...

        Cheers,

        Bryan
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 27, 2009
          Yes, use the adapter you showed in ..

          /PICTURES/COMPSW-L.JPG

          Try channels 2 through 4.

          Bill

        • jaj@totallyamused.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 27, 2009
            The NES type RF switches require a strong signal to operate, older systems usually don't have a strong enough signal to "switch" it. Use the traditional slider type switch for best results.

            What did your system come with? I may have some (free) stuff for you, feel free to contact me off list to discuss.

            Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 27, 2009
              I just went through my box of Atari stuff, and it doesn't look like the switch is in the greatest condition. It probably works, but I'm thinking I might go to Radio Shack tomorrow (if it doesn't snow, that is) and pick up one of these:

              http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103471
              F-Jack to Phono plug converter

              I read that they produce a better signal. Does anyone know if this is true?

              Thanks!
              ~Matt

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 27, 2009
                >>> http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103471 F-Jack
                to Phono plug converter ... I read that they produce a better signal. Does
                anyone know if this is true?

                Yes, it's true. We use one on the MARCH Atari 2600. Much better picture
                than an RF adapter.
              • Matthew Mikolay
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 27, 2009
                  Then I guess I will be using it for my Aquarius, Atari, and NES!

                  Thanks a lot!
                  ~Matt

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 27, 2009
                    Absolutely... I recommend that over a switch box every day of the week!

                    I probably have a dozen of those things myself. Smile emoticon