OT: Crap!!!

    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 26 12:19 PM
      Just got laid off. They're making me pack my desk and leave in the middle of the afternoon.
    • Joe Giliberti
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 26 12:37 PM
        50,001! CNN got its numbers wrong, I guess. Sorry man.

        http://money.cnn.com/2009/01/26/news/economy/job_cuts/index.htm

        Joe

        --
        "You work with your females, arm them, and force them to wear clothing!"

      • Sridhar Ayengar
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 26 12:39 PM
          Evan Koblentz wrote:
          > Just got laid off. They're making me pack my desk and leave in the middle of the afternoon.

          Congratulations on your knighthood.

          Peace... Sridhar
        • J. Kalin
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 26 12:56 PM

            Sorry to hear about your layoff.  I was laid off last February, told it was just temporary I called in April to find out how much longer it would be and was told that anyone laid off for more than 30 days was terminated.  June 8th of 2008 would have been my 10 anniversary I would have received another week of paid vacation time, a $500.00 bonus minus taxes, and some other little things but instead go absolutely nothing.  I had to get up at 4:30 am and take 4 buses to get there by 7:30 and was told at 8:30 what a wasted morning.

            I hope our new president can do something about this or this country is going to go down the drain.

            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 26 12:56 PM
              :( I could say all kinds of stuff about how I've been preparing for
              this seemingly inevitable event but the only thing you need to hear is
              try to get a good severance package and good luck.

              Thanks,
              Mark

              Evan Koblentz wrote:

              > Just got laid off. They're making me pack my desk and leave in the
              > middle of the afternoon.
              >
              > __._,_._
            • fairlanefastback
              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 26 12:59 PM
                Sorry to hear this Evan. Today has been a bad day in general for
                jobs. Cnn.com reports 68,000 job cuts announced today alone. :(

                > Just got laid off. They're making me pack my desk and leave in the
                middle of the afternoon.

              • fairlanefastback
                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 26 1:00 PM
                  CNN just revised their report from 50,000 to 68,000. :(

                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Joe Giliberti

                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 26 1:23 PM
                    68,001.

                    Obama better fix this because I voted for his ass.

                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 26 3:01 PM
                      That's the most horrible thing I've read in a long time. It's not
                      enough that they're laying you off but they delay your job search by
                      months by giving you false hope rather than making a clean break so you
                      can get things moving ASAP. In other words they were covering their own
                      needs despite the fact that their poor planning (last Feb it would be
                      poor planning) is to blame for the situation... It's not like everyone
                      has a ton of cash set aside to weather that kind of thing, usually it's
                      urgent that you fix the situation. Sheesh.

                      Thanks,
                      Mark

                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 26 3:19 PM
                        >>> the only thing you need to hear is try to get a good severance package

                        I was only at the company from Feb. 12, 2007 until now. So I get two weeks'
                        pay for each of two years = severence of one month pay. Plus my last
                        paycheck and an extra week+ for vacation time not used. Then unemployment
                        kicks in.
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 26 3:25 PM
                          Message
                          >>>  I had to get up at 4:30 am and take 4 buses to get there by 7:30 and was told at 8:30 what a wasted morning.

                          I hear ya.  I was told that HR needed to speak with me today around 2:30.  I honestly thought it was about a promotion because someone senior left recently and my direct boss indicated I'd probably get that job.  So I happily and confidently walked over there.  I was told to go pack up my personal belonging.  They didn't have the decency to let me stay the day.  I tried to log in to my email to retrieve some personal things and send some goodbye notes ... forget it, the account was already disabled by the time I got back to my desk.

                          They gave me the hypothetical option of working for less money at our office in Madison, Wisconsin.  Yeah, right.

                          Message 12 of 28 , Jan 26 3:26 PM

                            Sorry to hear about this dude.
                            It happens to the best of us.
                            I was laid-off in last round of massive layoffs at the beginning of this century.
                            It still kinda stings, but the more friends you have, the easier it is to get past this.
                            Try to get a good letter of referral from your boss.

                            =Dan

                            Message 13 of 28 , Jan 26 3:41 PM

                              When I first started working for this company in 1998 there were over 300 people working there.  Now there are about 65 including the executives.  I ran into a friend that still works there and she told me they no longer have insurance, there is a wage freeze.  It’s just a mess there, I will be shocked if they are still open by the end of this year.

                              Message 14 of 28 , Jan 26 3:48 PM
                                Yeah this seems to be standard operating procedure for most firms
                                today. They do it to protect their security. They figure if someone
                                is going to do something bad it will be with whatever time they have
                                left during the day. And frankly some may take it as an insult to be
                                asked to complete the day. (Personally I'd be insulted). Firms are
                                especially concerned about people deleting data or sending out bad
                                emails or trashing their desk these days especially since the economy
                                is so bad. They figure losing a job is even more traumatic than
                                usual, since the prospect of quickly getting another job, on average,
                                is diminished right now. They better pay you for the whole day
                                though, otherwise thats super scummy.

                                Best of luck in getting another job soon. And hopefully one that
                                better than this one.

                                Message 15 of 28 , Jan 26 3:53 PM
                                  This morning I wrote about Sprint cutting 8,000 people (14% of the company)
                                  -- and then I found out they're having a big Superbowl commercial and ad
                                  campaign.

                                  I happen to be a Sprint customer. Considered switching recently, but I have
                                  to confess, I couldn't find a better price anywhere else. :(

                                  Yeah this seems to be standard operating procedure for most firms today.
                                  They do it to protect their security. They figure if someone is going to do
                                  something bad it will be with whatever time they have left during the day.
                                  And frankly some may take it as an insult to be asked to complete the day.
                                  (Personally I'd be insulted). Firms are especially concerned about people
                                  deleting data or sending out bad emails or trashing their desk these days
                                  especially since the economy is so bad. They figure losing a job is even
                                  more traumatic than usual, since the prospect of quickly getting another
                                  job, on average, is diminished right now. They better pay you for the whole
                                  day though, otherwise thats super scummy.

                                  Best of luck in getting another job soon. And hopefully one that better
                                  than this one.

                                  > I hear ya. I was told that HR needed to speak with me today around
                                  2:30. I
                                  > honestly thought it was about a promotion because someone senior left
                                  > recently and my direct boss indicated I'd probably get that job. So I
                                  > happily and confidently walked over there. I was told to go pack up
                                  > my personal belonging. They didn't have the decency to let me stay
                                  > the
                                  day. I
                                  > tried to log in to my email to retrieve some personal things and
                                  send some
                                  > goodbye notes ... forget it, the account was already disabled by the
                                  time I
                                  > got back to my desk.
                                  >
                                  > They gave me the hypothetical option of working for less money at
                                  our office
                                  > in Madison, Wisconsin. Yeah, right.

                                • Christian Liendo
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jan 26 4:04 PM
                                    Evan, while I know you are a writer, maybe you can post a job description and we can keep our eyes out for you. I mean one of us may know someone who needs a writer.

                                  • Sridhar Ayengar
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jan 26 4:37 PM
                                      fairlanefastback wrote:
                                      > Yeah this seems to be standard operating procedure for most firms
                                      > today. They do it to protect their security. They figure if someone
                                      > is going to do something bad it will be with whatever time they have
                                      > left during the day. And frankly some may take it as an insult to be
                                      > asked to complete the day. (Personally I'd be insulted). Firms are
                                      > especially concerned about people deleting data or sending out bad
                                      > emails or trashing their desk these days especially since the economy
                                      > is so bad. They figure losing a job is even more traumatic than
                                      > usual, since the prospect of quickly getting another job, on average,
                                      > is diminished right now. They better pay you for the whole day
                                      > though, otherwise thats super scummy.

                                      Now, being a technical lead in systems administration and software
                                      development, I could take down manufacturing (at a loss of several
                                      million dollars per hour) even if they disabled all of my accounts. I
                                      won't do it, but I have the knowledge to do it if I wanted to. I know
                                      these systems better than they do. I could probably screw stuff up to a
                                      degree where they would have trouble even noticing exactly where I
                                      screwed it up.

                                      If you don't trust your employees after you've laid them off, you
                                      shouldn't have hired them in the first place. Hence, disabling accounts
                                      of people getting laid off SERVES NO PURPOSE except to further piss off
                                      the people you're laying off.

                                      Management are idiots.

                                      Peace... Sridhar
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jan 26 4:54 PM
                                        Message
                                        Hmmm ... My resume is at http://snarc.net/res.doc ... had to be .doc format because that's what most companies want.

                                        Evan, while I know you are a writer, maybe you can post a job description and we can keep our eyes out for you. I mean one of us may know someone who needs a writer.

                                      • Jeffrey Frady
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jan 26 5:42 PM
                                          Sorry about the job loss.  So what do you plan on doing now?

                                          On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 7:54 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

                                          Hmmm ... My resume is at http://snarc.net/res.doc ... had to be .doc format because that's what most companies want.

                                          Evan, while I know you are a writer, maybe you can post a job description and we can keep our eyes out for you. I mean one of us may know someone who needs a writer.

                                          --
                                          See you space cowboy...
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jan 26 6:55 PM
                                            Message
                                            Look for another job.  Duh.
                                            Sorry about the job loss.  So what do you plan on doing now?

                                            On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 7:54 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

                                            Hmmm ... My resume is at http://snarc.net/res.doc ... had to be .doc format because that's what most companies want.

                                            Evan, while I know you are a writer, maybe you can post a job description and we can keep our eyes out for you. I mean one of us may know someone who needs a writer.

                                            --
                                            See you space cowboy...
                                          • Andrew Molloy
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jan 26 7:18 PM
                                              Evan, sorry to hear the news. I hope you find something good. You are
                                              a talented writer.

                                              Andy

                                              On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 9:55 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
                                              > Look for another job. Duh.

                                            • Christian R. Fandt
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Jan 26 7:30 PM
                                                Well that just sucks swamp water Evan. Felt like a kick in the gut, I suspect.

                                                I really feel for ya, man. I'm a three-time victim of company downsizing over the past 10 1/2 years. The first time it was from a company that was my first 'real' job after college. Laid off after 24.5 years there; left there titled General Engineer. My next company was slowly withering away as it was part of the now almost-non-existent-in-America furniture manufacturing industry. I was Director of Engineering; lasted about 3.5 years. Eventually had to take a technician's job at a local commercial radio shop (Motorola police and fire radios, pagers, etc.). He needed an IT-type guy for a major ROIP (radio-over-IP) government project. That lasted 15 months until a county government in the adjacent county across the state line delayed paying us over $100k for the roip project because of their screw-up; Owner had to mortgage his house and all equipment; I was overhead, so bye-bye. Sheesh. Now I work as simply a machine operator for considerably less than half of my normal engineering pay on 3rd shift at a local plant of a major diesel engine manufacturer. I'm 55 now and it was tough as nails to find work in our area for an "old" engineer several years ago. Now it is virtually impossible. At least you are on the East coast where there are potentially more jobs available for your type of career - that is whenever things turn around :-/ We're in the rural Midwest Rustbelt.

                                                To summarize, the message that one can derive from my experiences is to be better prepared (up-to-date education, etc.), be flexible financially (we're tied up with a mortgage, two car payments, my recent school loan), and sock away any kind of cash reserves you can (but mine got chewed up by the seeming continual lay-offs), and stay young if you can (employers now look at me as an insurance risk - especially since I had prostate cancer last Fall).

                                                Indeed, let's hope the new Administration gets this mess figured out and soon. But, as the top execs at my present company believe, it may be almost a year until something turns around - and we went into this mess with a multi-$billion bank credit line, almost no debt, just over 50% market share of our product, and an upcoming product release that virtually must be purchased after 01 January, 2010 by users (more rigid EPA emissions regulations as of that date). But, we fear there may be lay-offs despite the rings of defense the company is implementing. Company philosophy is to NOT lay-off but to even hand people paintbrushes or a broom just to keep them employed during downturns, but this time the financial distress is exceptional. This is a bad time for almost all the industrialized world.

                                                Best of luck to you Evan. I hope your job search is not too long. I'll be thinking of the best for you (and some of the others here will be too, I'm sure).

                                                -Chris F.
                                                NNNN

                                                Message 23 of 28 , Jan 26 7:43 PM
                                                  Evan,

                                                  I'm so sorry. I've been through lay-offs and they are exhausting (aka
                                                  "sucks"). My heart sank when I read your message.

                                                  BTW, you say your email is Off-Topic, but it's certainly on everyone's
                                                  mind. Thanks for letting us know.

                                                  Scott "I'm out of work, looking for work" Austin

                                                  --------------
                                                  > Just got laid off. They're making me pack my desk and leave in the
                                                  middle of the afternoon.

                                                • Timothy J Fagan
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Jan 26 8:03 PM
                                                    This sucks, Evan! I am so sorry to hear this...

                                                    Is there anyway you could post you resume out to the group, when you get a chance of course, that we may keep you in mind should opportunities present themselves?

                                                    Best of luck to you! I was out of work from 12/06-5/07, and I'm still not totally caught up from that. Sad smile emoticon    And I work at Wachovia, which just got sucked up by Wells Fargo, so there's no guarantee how much longer we'll have jobs. This economy sucks!

                                                    --Timster--

                                                    Sent: Monday, January 26, 2009 3:19 PM

                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Jan 26 8:04 PM
                                                      72,300 as of 11pm est.

                                                      WTF???

                                                      Sent: Monday, January 26, 2009 4:00 PM

                                                      href="http://money.cnn.com/2009/01/26/news/economy/job_cuts/index.htm">http://money. cnn.com/2009/ 01/26/news/ economy/job_ cuts/index. htm

                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Jan 26 8:08 PM
                                                        Message
                                                        I posted a link to my resume earlier tonight.

                                                        Other than journalism, I think I'd be an exception non-traditional technical writer.  (I can't write based on templates and beauracratic rules.  But do you remember back when manuals used to be GOOD and even entertaining?  I can that.)

                                                        Sent: Monday, January 26, 2009 3:19 PM

                                                        Just got laid off. They're making me pack my desk and leave in the middle of the afternoon.

                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Jan 26 9:04 PM
                                                          I have pretty much finished my entry into the 2009 Winter RetroChallenge.
                                                          http://retrochallenge.net/2009/winter/news.html
                                                          <http://retrochallenge.net/2009/winter/news.html>

                                                          I have submitted a refined version of the Biorhythm program for the
                                                          Apple II 16K I displayed at VCF E.

                                                          Here is my blog post

                                                          In addition to the crazy video, I have now posted nice pictures of the
                                                          system, screen shots, and complete details of the program and restoration.

                                                          Ta!
                                                        • Andy Meyer
                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Jan 27 8:39 AM
                                                            On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 3:19 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
                                                            > Just got laid off. They're making me pack my desk and leave in the middle of the afternoon.

                                                            Welcome to the club. I've been out of work since April.

                                                            Hope you can find something soon,
                                                            Andy