Atart ST question

  • Joe Giliberti
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 25, 2009
      I picked up at someones curb an Atari 1040ST-fm. I popped it open and made sure all was dry and clean, and all that, and then tried it out. I gave it power, and the LEDs lit and the drive began to search. However, no picture on the TV. I lave it hooked up through an RF switch. I switch between Channels 2 and 4, but all I get is static. It is an old RF box, as it came with an old intellivision system I had. Would an ST work with an internal switching variety, like those that came with the NES?

      Also, I am using a relatively new TV with ATSC/NTSC tuner. Could this affect it?

      Joe

      --
      "You work with your females, arm them, and force them to wear clothing!"

    • Ray Sills
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 25, 2009
        Hi Joe:

        The new TV sets will automatically identify and distinguish the
        signal differences between analog and digital, and adjust appropriately.
        So, not to worry!

        73 de Ray

        On Jan 25, 2009, at 12:04 PM, Joe Giliberti wrote:

        > I picked up at someones curb an Atari 1040ST-fm. I popped it open
        > and made sure all was dry and clean, and all that, and then tried
        > it out. I gave it power, and the LEDs lit and the drive began to
        > search. However, no picture on the TV. I lave it hooked up through
        > an RF switch. I switch between Channels 2 and 4, but all I get is
        > static. It is an old RF box, as it came with an old intellivision
        > system I had. Would an ST work with an internal switching variety,
        > like those that came with the NES?
        >
        > Also, I am using a relatively new TV with ATSC/NTSC tuner. Could
        > this affect it?
        >
        > Joe
        >
        > --
        > "You work with your females, arm them, and force them to wear
        > clothing!"

      • Timothy J Fagan
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 25, 2009
          IIRC, the Nintendo switchboxes were powered, so I think you could (further) damage the ST if you tried to use one of those.

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 25, 2009
            Joe Giliberti wrote:
            > I picked up at someones curb an Atari 1040ST-fm. I popped it open and
            > made sure all was dry and clean, and all that, and then tried it out.
            > I gave it power, and the LEDs lit and the drive began to search.
            > However, no picture on the TV. I lave it hooked up through an RF
            > switch. I switch between Channels 2 and 4, but all I get is static. It
            > is an old RF box, as it came with an old intellivision system I had.
            > Would an ST work with an internal switching variety, like those that
            > came with the NES?
            >
            > Also, I am using a relatively new TV with ATSC/NTSC tuner. Could this
            > affect it?

            All you need is this: --->
            http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103471

            When you had the computer open, did you press down on all of the chips?
            Some may be loose.. Also, did you try channel 3?

            Cheers,

            Bryan
          • Mark D
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 25, 2009
              Sheesh,

              I should be so lucky to find an Atari ST on a trash heap! If I recall
              correctly, I have used an ST on an internal switching type RF switch before.

              Thanks,
              Mark

              Joe Giliberti wrote:

              > I picked up at someones curb an Atari 1040ST-fm. I popped it open and
              > made sure all was dry and clean, and all that, and then tried it out.
              > I gave it power, and the LEDs lit and the drive began to search.
              > However, no picture on the TV. I lave it hooked up through an RF
              > switch. I switch between Channels 2 and 4, but all I get is static. It
              > is an old RF box, as it came with an old intellivision system I had.
              > Would an ST work with an internal switching variety, like those that
              > came with the NES?
              >
              > Also, I am using a relatively new TV with ATSC/NTSC tuner. Could this
              > affect it?
              >

              > log.
              >
              > .

            • Joe Giliberti
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 25, 2009
                What sucks, though, it that the monitor and mouse were there too, but the monitor's tube was damaged beyond repair, and someone had stepped on the mouse it looked like, pretty much destroying it.

                --
                "You work with your females, arm them, and force them to wear clothing!"

              • Bob Grieb
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 25, 2009
                  Joe,

                     Maybe the output of the ST was NTSC video?  (Not RF modulated)
                  In that case you would feed it into a composite video input on the TV, not the antenna jack.

                     Bob Grieb

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 25, 2009
                    I have a couple spare mice. You could have one. You can buy an adapter
                    on ebay which is admittedly overpriced which will let you use the
                    machine with a VGA monitor in mono mode only. The color RGB modes
                    hooked up to the tv are more interesting on a limited machine like that
                    though.

                    Thanks,
                    Mark

                    Joe Giliberti wrote:

                    > What sucks, though, it that the monitor and mouse were there too, but
                    > the monitor's tube was damaged beyond repair, and someone had stepped
                    > on the mouse it looked like, pretty much destroying it.
                    >
                    > On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 1:42 PM, Mark D <mdlkml@...
                    > <mailto:mdlkml@...>> wrote:
                    >
                    > Sheesh,
                    >
                    > I should be so lucky to find an Atari ST on a trash heap! If I recall
                    > correctly, I have used an ST on an internal switching type RF
                    > switch before.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Mark
                    >

                    > Joe Giliberti wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I picked up at someones curb an Atari 1040ST-fm. I popped it
                    > open and
                    > > made sure all was dry and clean, and all that, and then tried it
                    > out.
                    > > I gave it power, and the LEDs lit and the drive began to search.
                    > > However, no picture on the TV. I lave it hooked up through an RF
                    > > switch. I switch between Channels 2 and 4, but all I get is
                    > static. It
                    > > is an old RF box, as it came with an old intellivision system I
                    > had.
                    > > Would an ST work with an internal switching variety, like those
                    > that
                    > > came with the NES?
                    > >
                    > > Also, I am using a relatively new TV with ATSC/NTSC tuner. Could
                    > this
                    > > affect it?
                    > >

                    > > log.
                    > >
                    > > .

                  • Andy Meyer
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 25, 2009
                      On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 1:12 PM, Bryan Pope <bryan.pope@...> wrote:
                      > All you need is this: --->
                      > http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103471

                      You probably don't need to get the GOLD one.
                      http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2123169

                      The connector goes on the antenna jack.
                      Cable goes from it to the "Television" jack on the 1040.
                      Tune the TV to channel 3.
                    • Joe Giliberti