Re: OT: common folk are stupid with electronics...

  • arkaxow
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 18, 2009

      > For the Boomers and their parent's generation, replacing a TV's
      vacuum tubes was a common quick-fix, not unlike our generation doing a
      reboot to fix common PC glitches.

      Speaking of TV repairs I have a Sony KP-46WT500. It was given to me by
      my boss because he didn't want to pay the $400-$500 to repair it. It
      was diagnosed and I have a description of what's wrong, but I have no
      expertise in repairing TV's myself and don't think I should attempt
      it. It seems there are dangers involved in repairing TV's when you
      don't know what you are doing. Anyway I found a suggestion that TV
      repair schools will fix these TVs for free
      (http://www.techlore.com/forum/thread/18970/Sony-KP-46WT500-Convergence-Repair/).
      You just pay the cost of the parts. Anyone know of any schools in NJ
      that might do something like this ?