OT: common folk are stupid with electronics...

  • Joe Giliberti
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 17, 2009
      speaks for itself:
      http://cnj.craigslist.org/zip/996530732.html

      Joe

      --
      "You work with your females, arm them, and force them to wear clothing!"

      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 17, 2009
        It probably belongs to seniors who are blissfully unaware of its technology. That does not make them stupid.

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 17, 2009
          How do you figure?

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 17, 2009
            In otherwords, blissfully ignorant just sounds like a happy euphemism to describe ...stupid

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 17, 2009
              For the Boomers and their parent's generation, replacing a TV's vacuum tubes was a common quick-fix, not unlike our generation doing a reboot to fix common PC glitches.

              So it's possible the Craigslist poster is being sarcastic, but more likely s/he is older than 55 and has no reason to consider that a TV doesn't use common tubes. You are wrong to say 'stupid'.

              Even non-nerds would open the TV, remove tubes, and take them to a corner store where there was a tube tester machine. Heck, my 90-something grandma said she used to do that.

              Our museum neighbors, NJARC, have such a machine on exhibit. Check it out next time you visit.

              Or just ask your parents or grandparents. Be prepared for them to laugh while saying, "Kids!"

              From: "Joe Giliberti"
              Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 13:55:35 -0500
              To: <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 17, 2009
                And if it's a projection type TV... which is how it appears, there
                items that need periodic replacement.

                73 de Ray

                On Jan 17, 2009, at 2:26 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                > For the Boomers and their parent's generation, replacing a TV's
                > vacuum tubes was a common quick-fix, not unlike our generation
                > doing a reboot to fix common PC glitches.
                >
                > So it's possible the Craigslist poster is being sarcastic, but more
                > likely s/he is older than 55 and has no reason to consider that a
                > TV doesn't use common tubes. You are wrong to say 'stupid'.
                >
                > Even non-nerds would open the TV, remove tubes, and take them to a
                > corner store where there was a tube tester machine. Heck, my 90-
                > something grandma said she used to do that.
                >
                > Our museum neighbors, NJARC, have such a machine on exhibit. Check
                > it out next time you visit.
                >
                > Or just ask your parents or grandparents. Be prepared for them to
                > laugh while saying, "Kids!"
                >

                > From: "Joe Giliberti"
                > Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 13:55:35 -0500
                > To: <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
                > Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: common folk are stupid with
                > electronics...
                >
                > How do you figure?
                >
                > On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 1:46 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
                > It probably belongs to seniors who are blissfully unaware of its
                > technology. That does not make them stupid.
                >

                > From: "Joe Giliberti"
                > Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 13:28:10 -0500
                > To: midatlanticretro<midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
                > Subject: [midatlanticretro] OT: common folk are stupid with
                > electronics...
                > speaks for itself:
                > http://cnj.craigslist.org/zip/996530732.html
                >
                > Joe
                >
                > --
                > "You work with your females, arm them, and force them to wear
                > clothing!"
                >

                > --
                > "You work with your females, arm them, and force them to wear
                > clothing!"

              • Sridhar Ayengar
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 17, 2009
                  Evan Koblentz wrote:
                  > It probably belongs to seniors who are blissfully unaware of its
                  > technology. That does not make them stupid.

                  Anyway, there are indeed certain 3-tube rear-projection TVs with
                  interchangeable tubes.

                  Peace... Sridhar
                • Sridhar Ayengar
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 17, 2009
                    Joe Giliberti wrote:
                    > In otherwords, blissfully ignorant just sounds like a happy euphemism to
                    > describe ...stupid

                    Now THAT'S stupid.

                    Stupid isn't "blissfully ignorant". Stupid is "willfully ignorant of
                    important matters".

                    Peace... Sridhar
                  • Joe Giliberti
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 17, 2009
                      Stupid can also be "Marked by a lack of intelligence or care:"
                      So, due to these people's marked lack of intelligence, they didn't understand that, aside from the three CRTs (which they were probably not referring to), their TV does not contain tubes, as in valves.

                      Or they were being sarcastic.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 17, 2009
                        So according to you, not knowing about a machine's components makes one unintelligent?

                        I suggest you quit this argument before someone points out all that YOU don't know.

                        From: "Joe Giliberti"
                        Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 17:56:09 -0500
                        To: <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>

                        Joe Giliberti wrote:
                        > In otherwords, blissfully ignorant just sounds like a happy euphemism to
                        > describe ...stupid

                        Now THAT'S stupid.

                        Stupid isn't "blissfully ignorant". Stupid is "willfully ignorant of
                        important matters".

                        Peace... Sridhar

                        --
                        "You work with your females, arm them, and force them to wear clothing!"

                      • Bryan Pope
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 17, 2009
                          Joe Giliberti wrote:
                          > Stupid can also be "Marked by a lack of intelligence or care:"
                          > So, due to these people's marked lack of intelligence, they didn't
                          > understand that, aside from the three CRTs (which they were probably
                          > not referring to), their TV does not contain tubes, as in valves.

                          But a CRT *is* a tube... ie Cathode Ray ... (wait for it... ) ....
                          .... TUBE. .. .

                          > Or they were being sarcastic.

                          Or they were guessing, going by what *they* knew about TVs....

                          Cheers,

                          Bryan

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 17, 2009
                            Unintelligent in regard to said machine.

                            I'm not arguing what I don't know. I don't know a lot of things. I don't know a thing about quantum physics, or calculus, or The Mathematics or Wanton Buritto Meals. But I do know that a television of that vintage does not contain a single electron tube (excluding CRTs). This is something these people do not know. This is something these people to not have intelligence of. Something these people are stupid in regard to.

                            Joe

                            From: "Joe Giliberti"
                            Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 17:56:09 -0500
                            To: <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 17, 2009
                              Joe Giliberti wrote:
                              > Unintelligent in regard to said machine.
                              >
                              > I'm not arguing what I don't know. I don't know a lot of things. I don't
                              > know a thing about quantum physics, or calculus, or The Mathematics or
                              > Wanton Buritto Meals. But I do know that a television of that vintage
                              > does not contain a single electron tube (excluding CRTs). This is
                              > something these people do not know. This is something these people to
                              > not have intelligence of. Something these people are stupid in regard to.

                              You're digging yourself a hole...

                              Peace... Sridhar
                            • fairlanefastback
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 17, 2009
                                May I suggest you gentlemen settle this in Thunderdome!

                                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Sridhar Ayengar
                                <ploopster@...> wrote:

                                > Joe Giliberti wrote:
                                > > Unintelligent in regard to said machine.
                                > >
                                > > I'm not arguing what I don't know. I don't know a lot of things.
                                I don't
                                > > know a thing about quantum physics, or calculus, or The
                                Mathematics or
                                > > Wanton Buritto Meals. But I do know that a television of that
                                vintage
                                > > does not contain a single electron tube (excluding CRTs). This is
                                > > something these people do not know. This is something these
                                people to
                                > > not have intelligence of. Something these people are stupid in
                                regard to.

                                > You're digging yourself a hole...
                                >
                                > Peace... Sridhar

                              • Bryan Pope
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 17, 2009
                                  fairlanefastback wrote:
                                  > May I suggest you gentlemen settle this in Thunderdome!

                                  Beyond even! ;-) At least we will have some good music.. :D

                                  Cheers,

                                  Bryan

                                  > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Sridhar Ayengar
                                  > <ploopster@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  >> Joe Giliberti wrote:
                                  >>
                                  >>> Unintelligent in regard to said machine.
                                  >>>
                                  >>> I'm not arguing what I don't know. I don't know a lot of things.
                                  >>>
                                  > I don't
                                  >
                                  >>> know a thing about quantum physics, or calculus, or The
                                  >>>
                                  > Mathematics or
                                  >
                                  >>> Wanton Buritto Meals. But I do know that a television of that
                                  >>>
                                  > vintage
                                  >
                                  >>> does not contain a single electron tube (excluding CRTs). This is
                                  >>> something these people do not know. This is something these
                                  >>>
                                  > people to
                                  >
                                  >>> not have intelligence of. Something these people are stupid in
                                  >>>
                                  > regard to.
                                  >
                                  >> You're digging yourself a hole...
                                  >>
                                  >> Peace... Sridhar

                                • arkaxow
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jan 18, 2009

                                    > For the Boomers and their parent's generation, replacing a TV's
                                    vacuum tubes was a common quick-fix, not unlike our generation doing a
                                    reboot to fix common PC glitches.

                                    Speaking of TV repairs I have a Sony KP-46WT500. It was given to me by
                                    my boss because he didn't want to pay the $400-$500 to repair it. It
                                    was diagnosed and I have a description of what's wrong, but I have no
                                    expertise in repairing TV's myself and don't think I should attempt
                                    it. It seems there are dangers involved in repairing TV's when you
                                    don't know what you are doing. Anyway I found a suggestion that TV
                                    repair schools will fix these TVs for free
                                    (http://www.techlore.com/forum/thread/18970/Sony-KP-46WT500-Convergence-Repair/).
                                    You just pay the cost of the parts. Anyone know of any schools in NJ
                                    that might do something like this ?