MARCH 2009 DONATIONS

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 13, 2009
      Message
      Hey guys.  Evan here again.  It's that time of year where MARCH begs for your spare change.

      First off, I know damn well how crap-ass the economy is.  I am very grateful to still have a job in my field.  And I know that some of you don't have that luxury right now.

      So, rather than the usual 20 bucks that we nicely request from everyone once a year, this time we're saying: "We'd be thrilled to accept whatever you can give."

      Doesn't matter if the amount is a dollar, or five, or ten, or some larger amount if you're so inclined.  Of course we are open to anonymity or to putting someone's name on our up-and-coming vintage computer library if there is a very large donation to be made.

      Our PayPal address is marchpaypal@... (that's our old domain) ... Jim S., please correct that ASAP if you changed it.

      Quick rundown of the awesome things MARCH did in 2008:
      - Moved our computer museum out of "beta" mode in one tiny room; now we're running in two bigger rooms with real exhibits
      - Hosted the Vintage Computer Festival East 5.0 with great exhibits and speakers and workshops
      - Several people at the annual Trenton event said our booth was the ONLY thing worth seeing
      - We had an exhibit at the "last" Hackers On Planet Earth conference in NYC.  We kicked ass!
      - Our holiday party / swap meet / boozefest / moviethon was so successful that we can't wait to do it again this spring
      - Began designing the MARCH research library, where I plan to hide from society.  :)
      - We rented some computers as props for an Esquire magazine photo shoot
      - We supported InfoAge and the other member groups by attending other functions, by having our exhibits open during other events, and by sharing a nominal amount of our VCF and Esquire revenue
      - We all worked really hard and we had FUUUUUUUUUUN
      - THE BEST OF ALL -- we gave hands-on demos to hundreds of kids and adults about how computers didn't start with Microsoft Windows

      Jim can provide the financial details.  The bottom line -- literally and figuratively -- is that MARCH runs in the black.  We have money, it's just a question of whether we have ENOUGH money.

      That's the appeal.  Whether you brag or keep it secret, whether you give a buck or 25 or 250 or a million (hey we can dream), every penny is appreciated.

      Well ..... maybe not pennys.  Don't be a cheapskate, please keep it to whole dollars.  ;)

      I can't end this email without one final item -- MARCH as always if YOUR group, not mine -- so if you have complaints / ideas / questions, then bring them up!!!!  On-/off-list are both fine.

      - EK
    • Joe Giliberti
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 13, 2009
        If MARCH is ours, can I have its bank account information? :)

        --
        "You work with your females, arm them, and force them to wear clothing!"

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 13, 2009
          Message
          We invested it all with Bernie Madoff.  That's safe, right?
          If MARCH is ours, can I have its bank account information? :)
        • Dan Roganti
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 14, 2009

            Evan Koblentz wrote:
            Message
            Hey guys.  Evan here again.  It's that time of year where MARCH begs for your spare change.

            Well ..... maybe not pennys.  Don't be a cheapskate, please keep it to whole dollars.  ;)

            done -- 2,000 pennies paid up for membership  :)

            I only wished I lived closer to participate some more -- keep up the great work people.

            =Dan