Personal Computer Museum in Brantford, Canada

  • arkaxow
    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 13, 2009
      I ran across this museum on YouTube when I was looking at some Jim Butterfield videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nis41j5CAU4 . Has anyone heard of this museum ? http://www.pcmuseum.ca/ .  It sounds and looks pretty cool.

      Message 2 of 26 , Jan 13, 2009
        Message
        Yeah, that one's a known entity.  Anyone from MARCH been there?

        Message 3 of 26 , Jan 13, 2009
          Message
          Also it looks like they're only into microcomputers, etc.: http://www.pcmuseum.ca/computerDetails.asp.  I don't see any minicomputers, card punchers or analog computers listed.

          Yeah, that one's a known entity.  Anyone from MARCH been there?

          I ran across this museum on YouTube when I was looking at some Jim Butterfield videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nis41j5CAU4 . Has anyone heard of this museum ? http://www.pcmuseum.ca/ .  It sounds and looks pretty cool.

        • Joe Giliberti
          Message 4 of 26 , Jan 13, 2009
            I saw an IBM PS/2 system running Win95 pictured as part of their collection...

            stupid Canadians! :)

            --
            "You work with your females, arm them, and force them to wear clothing!"

          • Jeffrey Brace
            Message 5 of 26 , Jan 13, 2009
              If I go to the World of Commodore in December, then I might stop by this museum since it is nearby Toronto where it is held.

              Message 6 of 26 , Jan 13, 2009
                Message
                Uh-oh.  You better watch out for Bryan's revenge .... eh?   )

                Message 7 of 26 , Jan 13, 2009
                  Is he a Win95 nut or is he Canadian?

                  Message 8 of 26 , Jan 14, 2009
                    arkaxow wrote:
                    > <!-- #ygrp-mkp{ border: 1px solid #d8d8d8; font-family: Arial; margin:
                    > 14px 0px; padding: 0px 14px; } #ygrp-mkp hr{ border: 1px solid
                    > #d8d8d8; } #ygrp-mkp #hd{ color: #628c2a; font-size: 85%; font-weight:
                    > bold; line-height: 122%; margin: 10px 0px; } #ygrp-mkp #ads{
                    > margin-bottom: 10px; } #ygrp-mkp .ad{ padding: 0 0; } #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
                    > color: #0000ff; text-decoration: none; } --> I ran across this museum
                    > on YouTube when I was looking at some Jim Butterfield videos:
                    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nis41j5CAU4 . Has anyone heard of this
                    > museum ? http://www.pcmuseum.ca/ . It sounds and looks pretty cool.

                    Did you see my poster on the wall?
                    http://www.pcmuseum.ca/gallery/IMG_2396-750.JPG
                    Bill
                  • Joe Giliberti
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jan 14, 2009
                      you picked a hell of a photo to demonstrate your poster...

                      Joe

                      On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 7:42 AM, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

                      arkaxow wrote:
                      > <!-- #ygrp-mkp{ border: 1px solid #d8d8d8; font-family: Arial; margin:
                      > 14px 0px; padding: 0px 14px; } #ygrp-mkp hr{ border: 1px solid
                      > #d8d8d8; } #ygrp-mkp #hd{ color: #628c2a; font-size: 85%; font-weight:
                      > bold; line-height: 122%; margin: 10px 0px; } #ygrp-mkp #ads{
                      > margin-bottom: 10px; } #ygrp-mkp .ad{ padding: 0 0; } #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
                      > color: #0000ff; text-decoration: none; } --> I ran across this museum

                      > on YouTube when I was looking at some Jim Butterfield videos:
                      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nis41j5CAU4 . Has anyone heard of this
                      > museum ? http://www.pcmuseum.ca/ . It sounds and looks pretty cool.

                      Did you see my poster on the wall?
                      http://www.pcmuseum.ca/gallery/IMG_2396-750.JPG

                      "You work with your females, arm them, and force them to wear clothing!"

                    • Bill Sudbrink
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jan 14, 2009
                        Joe Giliberti wrote:

                        > B Degnan wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Did you see my poster on the wall?
                        > > http://www.pcmuseum.ca/gallery/IMG_2396-750.JPG
                        >
                        > you picked a hell of a photo to demonstrate your poster...

                        We need to investigate getting "booth babes" for the next
                        VCF... might significantly increase attendance. Also, a
                        March classic computer calendar, similarly adorned, might
                        sell pretty well, adding to the coffers.
                      • Mike Loewen
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jan 14, 2009
                          On Wed, 14 Jan 2009, Bill Degnan wrote:

                          > Did you see my poster on the wall?
                          > http://www.pcmuseum.ca/gallery/IMG_2396-750.JPG
                          > Bill

                          Does your wife know about your Canadian groupies? :-)

                          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                        • J. Kalin
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jan 14, 2009

                            I didn’t think the PS/2 could run Win 95.

                            Message 13 of 26 , Jan 14, 2009
                              Joe Giliberti wrote:
                              > Is he a Win95 nut or is he Canadian?
                              I AM Canadian! :-) I also happened to be in Toronto the same day
                              Windows 95 was launched. There was a huge Win 95 banner running down
                              pretty much the entire height of the CN Tower.

                              Cheers,

                              Bryan, eh!

                              > On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 1:32 AM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...
                              > <mailto:evan@...>> wrote:
                              >
                              > Uh-oh. You better watch out for Bryan's revenge .... eh? )

                            • fairlanefastback
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jan 14, 2009
                                What will you pay the booth babes with?

                                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Sudbrink"
                                <wh.sudbrink@...> wrote:
                                > We need to investigate getting "booth babes" for the next
                                > VCF... might significantly increase attendance. Also, a
                                > March classic computer calendar, similarly adorned, might
                                > sell pretty well, adding to the coffers.

                              • Bryan Pope
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jan 14, 2009
                                  fairlanefastback wrote:
                                  > What will you pay the booth babes with?

                                  Volunteer Booth Babes? Booth Babes in Training? ;-)

                                  Cheers,

                                  Bryan

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jan 14, 2009
                                    J. Kalin wrote:

                                    > I didn’t think the PS/2 could run Win 95.

                                    If it was a 386 PS/2, then it could run Win 95. It would take about 15
                                    minutes or more to boot up though..

                                    Cheers,

                                    Bryan

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jan 14, 2009
                                      >>> Also, a March classic computer calendar, similarly adorned, might
                                      sell pretty well

                                      We discussed this a year or two ago.

                                      The real question is, are any MARCHins' daughters / girlfriends / wives hot enough and supportive enough to help us with this?

                                      The former is plausible. The latter is highly doubtful. :)
                                    • Bill Sudbrink
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jan 14, 2009
                                        Evan Koblentz wrote:
                                        > sell pretty well
                                        >
                                        > We discussed this a year or two ago.

                                        Must have missed that...

                                        > The real question is, are any MARCHins' daughters / girlfriends /
                                        > wives hot enough and supportive enough to help us with this?
                                        >
                                        > The former is plausible. The latter is highly doubtful. :)

                                        Does Bill D still teach that college class? Maybe he could offer extra
                                        credit
                                        to some of the better looking students.
                                      • fairlanefastback
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jan 14, 2009
                                          LOL! Sounds like asking for trouble to do that!

                                          <wh.sudbrink@...> wrote:

                                          > Does Bill D still teach that college class? Maybe he could offer
                                          extra
                                          > credit
                                          > to some of the better looking students.

                                        • Bob Grieb
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jan 14, 2009
                                            I think he already has such a "program" in place, but don't tell his wife...

                                            > Does Bill D still teach that college class? Maybe he could offer
                                            extra
                                            > credit
                                            > to some of the better looking students.

                                          • Sridhar Ayengar
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jan 14, 2009
                                              J. Kalin wrote:
                                              > I didn’t think the PS/2 could run Win 95.

                                              There are PS/2s all the way up to Pentium Pro with 4GB RAM.

                                              Peace... Sridhar
                                            • Sridhar Ayengar
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Jan 14, 2009
                                                Bryan Pope wrote:
                                                > J. Kalin wrote:
                                                >> I didn’t think the PS/2 could run Win 95.
                                                >>
                                                > If it was a 386 PS/2, then it could run Win 95. It would take about 15
                                                > minutes or more to boot up though..

                                                If you're counting only machines with "PS/2" in their name, the fastest
                                                one could be upgraded all the way to Pentium II and 4GB RAM. If you're
                                                counting all machines made by IBM, with an x86 processor and a MCA bus,
                                                there are machines that could be upgraded all the way to dual-processor
                                                Pentium III and 16(?)GB RAM. There was also that oddball PC Server
                                                700(?) with 6 100MHz Pentium chips.

                                                Peace... Sridhar
                                              • Bryan Pope
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Jan 14, 2009
                                                  fairlanefastback wrote:
                                                  > LOL! Sounds like asking for trouble to do that!

                                                  HA! Bill laughs at trouble. He likes to feel around the back end of a
                                                  cathode ray tube with his bare hand! ;-)

                                                  <duck>

                                                  Cheers,

                                                  Bryan

                                                  P.S. I warned him, I did! There were two distinct ZZzzzzts! First from
                                                  the CRT, second from the metal back of the chair...

                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Jan 14, 2009
                                                    Lol

                                                    > LOL! Sounds like asking for trouble to do that!

                                                    HA! Bill laughs at trouble. He likes to feel around the back end of a
                                                    cathode ray tube with his bare hand! ;-)

                                                    <duck>

                                                    Cheers,

                                                    Bryan

                                                    P.S. I warned him, I did! There were two distinct ZZzzzzts! First from
                                                    the CRT, second from the metal back of the chair...

                                                    > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Sudbrink"
                                                    > <wh.sudbrink@...> wrote:
                                                    >
                                                    >> Does Bill D still teach that college class? Maybe he could offer
                                                    >>
                                                    > extra
                                                    >
                                                    >> credit
                                                    >> to some of the better looking students.

                                                  • Dan Roganti
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Jan 14, 2009

                                                      you want to have some non-lethal fun ?

                                                      stick a few Eproms in the microwave and watch the light show (take the label off first)

                                                      =Dan

                                                      B Degnan wrote:
                                                      Lol

                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Jan 15, 2009

                                                        > Did you see my poster on the wall?
                                                        > http://www.pcmuseum.ca/gallery/IMG_2396-750.JPG

                                                        Never mind that... It's a computer museum with chicks!

                                                        Sign me up.