IBM PS/2 Model 60 Error Code

  • J. Kalin
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 9, 2009

      I booted up my Model 60 today for the first in several months and received error code 1780.  I looked up the error code online and found this; 1780 Drive seek failure (drive 0).  Is this for the hard disk drive, 3 ½” disk drive, or the external 5 ¼” disk drive?

      Thanks,

      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 10, 2009
        J. Kalin wrote:
        > <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Tahoma; panose-1:2
        > 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal,
        > li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt;
        > font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} a:link,
        > span.MsoHyperlink {color:blue; text-decoration:underline;} a:visited,
        > span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:purple; text-decoration:underline;}
        > span.EmailStyle17 {mso-style-type:personal-compose; font-family:Arial;
        > color:windowtext;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in
        > 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->
        >
        > I booted up my Model 60 today for the first in several months and
        > received error code 1780. I looked up the error code online and found
        > this; 1780 Drive seek failure (drive 0). Is this for the hard disk
        > drive, 3 ½” disk drive, or the external 5 ¼” disk drive?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Jim

        The 1700 series errors are for hard drives.
      • J. Kalin
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 10, 2009
          RE: [midatlanticretro] IBM PS/2 Model 60 Error Code

          I figured it would be the hard drive, because it had some bad sectors on it when I received it (eBay).  A friend as a PS/2 Model 55; I might just get that from him and not worry about the 60. I found places on the web that sell the hard drives and they want a small fortune for them.

          Thanks for your help.

          Jim K.

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 10, 2009
            J. Kalin wrote:

            > I figured it would be the hard drive, because it had some bad sectors
            > on it when I received it (eBay). A friend as a PS/2 Model 55; I might
            > just get that from him and not worry about the 60. I found places on
            > the web that sell the hard drives and they want a small fortune for them.
            >
            > Thanks for your help.
            >
            > Jim K.

            Just curious, what is the made and model of the hard drive?
            bd
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 10, 2009
              J. Kalin wrote:

              > I figured it would be the hard drive, because it had some bad sectors
              > on it when I received it (eBay). A friend as a PS/2 Model 55; I might
              > just get that from him and not worry about the 60. I found places on
              > the web that sell the hard drives and they want a small fortune for them.
              >
              > Thanks for your help.
              >
              > Jim K.

              Jim,
              One other thought....have you been to
              http://vintagecomputer.net/ibm/spinrite/....try repairing the drive. A
              few bad sectors should be fixable.

              bd
            • J. Kalin
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 11, 2009

                I looked at the HD and as far as I can tell it’s an IBM drive IBM Part # 6373507.  These numbers were on top of the drive B1AE0 161852.  The drive capacity is 44MB.  I don’t know if this helps any.

                Jim

                > I figured it would be the hard drive, because it had some bad sectors
                > on it when I received it (eBay). A friend as a PS/2 Model 55; I might
                > just get that from him and not worry about the 60. I found places on
                > the web that sell the hard drives and they want a small fortune for them.
                >
                > Thanks for your help.
                >
                > Jim K.

                Just curious, what is the made and model of the hard drive?
                bd

              • Bill Degnan
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 12, 2009
                  When you power on the comptuer, you'll hear some churps of the drive. The
                  lights will flicker, etc. Try getting a model 60 reference disk from the
                  internet, to re-format or at least run a diagnostic. It sounds like a
                  stock model 60, and you'll know pretty quickly whether you can at least
                  re-format the drive.
                  Bill

                  > I looked at the HD and as far as I can tell it's an IBM drive IBM Part #
                  > 6373507. These numbers were on top of the drive B1AE0 161852. The
                  drive
                  > capacity is 44MB. I don't know if this helps any.
                  >

                  > Jim
                  >

                  > _____

                • Sridhar Ayengar
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 12, 2009
                    J. Kalin wrote:
                    > I booted up my Model 60 today for the first in several months and
                    > received error code 1780. I looked up the error code online and found
                    > this; 1780 Drive seek failure (drive 0). Is this for the hard disk
                    > drive, 3 ½” disk drive, or the external 5 ¼” disk drive?

                    Should be the internal 3.5".

                    Peace... Sridhar
                  • Sridhar Ayengar
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 12, 2009
                      J. Kalin wrote:
                      > I figured it would be the hard drive, because it had some bad sectors on
                      > it when I received it (eBay). A friend as a PS/2 Model 55; I might just
                      > get that from him and not worry about the 60. I found places on the web
                      > that sell the hard drives and they want a small fortune for them.

                      If you want to go SCSI in that Mod 60, I can help.

                      Peace... Sridhar
                    • J. Kalin
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 12, 2009

                        The IT guy where I used to work gave me a SCSI drive, but I have no idea of how to use it, how to connect and so forth.  I don’t even know what the capacity of the drive is.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 12, 2009

                          Thanks Bill, I have the reference disk for the 60, I will try it and see what happens.  I can hear the drive, and lights flicker, but then I get the 1780, and if I turn the computer off and back I get error 301 and another error along with the 1780 error.  I hope it hasn’t died; it was fun to mess with.  I mostly used it to run some vintage software that I got off of FreeCycle, and from the IT guy I used to work with.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 12, 2009
                            It's very simple, assuming you have the correct PS/2 microchannel SCSI
                            controller too.
                            Bill

                          • J. Kalin
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 12, 2009

                              I can’t get the dos boot disk to work, and now I’m getting 162 error CMOS checksum error, CRC error, or adapter ID mismatch.  The resource disk won’t even boot.  Is it toast?

                              Jim

                              When you power on the comptuer, you'll hear some churps of the drive. The
                              lights will flicker, etc. Try getting a model 60 reference disk from the
                              internet, to re-format or at least run a diagnostic. It sounds like a
                              stock model 60, and you'll know pretty quickly whether you can at least
                              re-format the drive.
                              Bill

                              > I looked at the HD and as far as I can tell it's an IBM drive IBM Part #
                              > 6373507. These numbers were on top of the drive B1AE0 161852. The
                              drive
                              > capacity is 44MB. I don't know if this helps any.
                              >

                              > Jim
                              >

                              > _____

                            • Sridhar Ayengar
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 13, 2009
                                B Degnan wrote:
                                > It's very simple, assuming you have the correct PS/2 microchannel SCSI
                                > controller too.

                                That's what I was volunteering to help him with.

                                I have a rather large pile of them.

                                Peace... Sridhar
                              • J. Kalin
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 13, 2009
                                  Sridhar, I would like to install the SCSI drive, what do I need besides the
                                  SCSI controller, is it easy? If you want to contact me off list, my email
                                  is jkalin196511@....

                                  Thanks,
                                  Jim K.

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jan 18, 2009
                                    Sorry to not get back sooner, I did not see this message in the pile...

                                    Before you give up, this may all be symptoms of a simple battery problem
                                    - the battery should be replaced first. ALso make sure everything is
                                    plugged in correctly (the cards can get out of their sockets), remove
                                    excessive dust. It is very possible that someone at some point removed
                                    microchannell cards or some memory. BIOS tables may not match the
                                    hardware and they'll need to be re-established. If the battery is dead
                                    the tables may have been lost...can't reset what's installed.. rinse and
                                    repeat.

                                    bd