The new MARCH website is looking good !

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 9, 2009

      The new MARCH website is looking good !
      I just could find the links to any photos

      =Dan

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 9, 2009
        Dan Roganti wrote:

        > The new MARCH website is looking good !
        > I just could find the links to any photos
        >
        > =Dan
        I am working on a replacement to the inventory system, or an add on that
        is photo centric

        bd
      • Dan Roganti
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 9, 2009

          B Degnan wrote:
          Dan Roganti wrote:

          The new MARCH website is looking good !
          I just could find the links to any photos

          =Dan

          I am working on a replacement to the inventory system, or an add on that
          is photo centric

          I see the kinks now to the photos of the museum exhibits.
          And the links for the Event photos, VCF East, Hope, and TCF
          The videos look good in there too.

          Hey, if you need a hand on the website, I like to volunteer to add more content on there
          Just let me know what to type.

          =Dan

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 10, 2009
            Dan and all,

            I did most of the site before VCF. I'm looking into ways to embed Flickr
            slide shows into the site as well as a simple way to host picture albums
            on the server. I want to move the videos to a streaming site like
            YouTube to make that content easier to view. The site is designed for
            ease of maintenance. The menus are all text plus CSS with a little trick
            to make them work in IE.

            There are still a few link problems and I need to fine tune the CSS but
            it is an improvement over the old page in that makes more of our content
            available and provides a framework to easily add more content.

            Jim

            Dan Roganti wrote:

            > B Degnan wrote:
            >
            >> Dan Roganti wrote:
            >>
            >>> The new MARCH website is looking good !
            >>> I just could find the links to any photos
            >>>
            >>> =Dan
            >>>
            >> I am working on a replacement to the inventory system, or an add on that
            >> is photo centric
            >>

            > I see the kinks now to the photos of the museum exhibits.
            > And the links for the Event photos, VCF East, Hope, and TCF
            > The videos look good in there too.
            >
            > Hey, if you need a hand on the website, I like to volunteer to add more
            > content on there
            > Just let me know what to type.
            >
            > =Dan

          • Ray Sills
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 10, 2009
              Hi Jim:

              You might want to consider Viddler for the videos: <http://
              www.viddler.com/>
              It seems to function pretty much the same way as You Tube, and some
              people
              feel the video quality is better. YMMV, etc.

              73 de Ray

              On Jan 10, 2009, at 12:45 PM, Jim Scheef wrote:

              > Dan and all,
              >
              > I did most of the site before VCF. I'm looking into ways to embed
              > Flickr
              > slide shows into the site as well as a simple way to host picture
              > albums
              > on the server. I want to move the videos to a streaming site like
              > YouTube to make that content easier to view. The site is designed for
              > ease of maintenance. The menus are all text plus CSS with a little
              > trick
              > to make them work in IE.
              >
              > There are still a few link problems and I need to fine tune the CSS
              > but
              > it is an improvement over the old page in that makes more of our
              > content
              > available and provides a framework to easily add more content.
              >
              > Jim
              >
              > Dan Roganti wrote:
              >>

              >> B Degnan wrote:

              >>> I am working on a replacement to the inventory system, or an add
              >>> on that
              >>> is photo centric
              >>>

              >> I see the kinks now to the photos of the museum exhibits.
              >> And the links for the Event photos, VCF East, Hope, and TCF
              >> The videos look good in there too.
              >>
              >> Hey, if you need a hand on the website, I like to volunteer to add
              >> more
              >> content on there
              >> Just let me know what to type.
              >>
              >> =Dan

            • Herb Johnson
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 16, 2009

                Jim Scheef <scheefj@...> wrote:

                > Dan and all,
                >
                > I did most of the site before VCF. I'm looking into ways to embed
                Flickr
                > slide shows into the site as well as a simple way to host picture
                albums
                > on the server. I want to move the videos to a streaming site like
                > YouTube to make that content easier to view. The site is designed for
                > ease of maintenance. The menus are all text plus CSS with a little
                trick
                > to make them work in IE.

                I think Dan's question was about photos he could NOT find. He may mean
                the PDP-11/20 Web pages I produced for MARCH, to support the
                11/20 exhibit I produced for MARCH. By signed agreement with MARCH,
                MARCH has copyright to that material. The agreement was with the
                material I provided to Jim months ago at his request.

                Jim has done good work on the overall site, and the important features
                of the 11/20 exhibit and material are on the MARCH site. But the
                PDP-11/20 pages are full of links to nowhere, mostly former links to
                photos or documents which were nonetheless provided. There are some
                formatting errors too, such as the list of PDP-11 boards which I set
                up to physically correspond to the actual boards as photographed. It's
                tricky formatting I'll admit.

                I learned a lot from the experience, but I'll make only one point
                about it.

                My special thanks to David Gesswein and his http://www.pdp8.net/ Web
                site and resources. Among other support he provided, including
                artifacts he donated, David developed at my request new videos of his
                PDP-8 and Teletype in operation. He improved them further on his own
                Web site. Enormous content on his site, real hardware at work,
                resources available there to help others with THEIR PDP-8's. His work
                is most admirable; his helping ME, made his OWN work better. That's
                how it's supposed to work, and that is one reason I did the exhibit
                and Web content for MARCH: as an EXAMPLE.

                Herb Johnson
                retrotechnology.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 18, 2009
                  Herb,

                  Thanks for taking the time to check the website *and* for providing some
                  useful feedback. I'll look for the missing pages.

                  Jim