Re: Possible fun experiment

  • Brian Cirulnick
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 5, 2009
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Cirulnick"
      <techrat@...> wrote:

      > Wp-5 -- I can't remember if that's what it was called, but Tandy
      ------------

      They were marketed as the Wp2 and the Wp3...

      And I just put a bid on a model 200 -- I like the look of those.
      There's no good T-1000's I can see on ebay.

      And jogging my memory, the model T-1000 I had was the 1000SE -- that
      was the one with the backlit screen and the PCMCIA type-1 slot.

      A good solid machine that 1000Se.

      ttyl
      Brian C.
    • Brian Cirulnick
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 5, 2009
        <techrat@...> wrote:

        > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Frady"
        > <Legodude522@> wrote:
        > >
        > > The Dana Alphasmart doesn't sound like a bad idea. That brings
        the
        > > clamshell Apple Newton to mind.
        > >
        > -------------

        Those alphasmarts are way too much money (IMHO). However, I remember
        taking classes at NYU a million years ago and used a regular old palm
        pilot along with the Landware "Go-Type" keyboard.

        Advantages: Compact as hell, runs forever off 2 AAA batteries, fairly
        easy to sync w/Desktop PC to backup your files, will print IF you
        have infrared port on your printer. Disadvantages: I believe "notes"
        are limited to 5k per, you can fill that up pretty quickly while
        typing. No standard ports, and early models didn't even have the
        infrared.

        You know, when I think of all the wacky gadgets I've used in my
        career... I'm amazed I can remember all this crap.

        ttyl
        Brian C.
      • Christopher Blackmon
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 6, 2009

          Hard to believe no one suggested the old HP Omnibooks (300, 425, etc).

          Christopher.

          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 6, 2009
            Or the "long battery life" champion of all time, the HP Portable Plus
            (recharge every 4-5 days in regular use).

            The "execute in place" technology of the early Omnibooks was really
            cool. The PCcard "ROM" in the 300 and 425 held Windows 3.1 code that was
            not copied to RAM to execute. This saved both disk space and RAM.
            Unfortunately both became cheap (did I say that?) so EIP never caught
            on. Those machines may not be all that old, but they are vintage none
            the less!

            Jim

            Christopher Blackmon wrote:

            > Hard to believe no one suggested the old HP Omnibooks (300, 425, etc).
            >
            > Christopher.

          • Sridhar Ayengar
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 7, 2009
              Christopher Blackmon wrote:

              > Hard to believe no one suggested the old HP Omnibooks (300, 425, etc).

              I suggested the 200LX which predates those.

              Peace... Sridhar
            • Christopher Blackmon
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 7, 2009
                IIRC, the 200LX was introduced in 1994.  The Omnibook 300 in 1993.

                I've got a couple of 200LX and like them.. but it's hard to do touch typing for note taking on them,
                thus why I suggested the omnibook.

                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 7, 2009
                  Sridhar,

                  Remember the purpose is note-taking in class. Efficient typing is paramount.

                  Jim

                  Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

                  > Christopher Blackmon wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hard to believe no one suggested the old HP Omnibooks (300, 425, etc).
                  >
                  > I suggested the 200LX which predates those.
                  >
                  > Peace... Sridhar

                • Sridhar Ayengar
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 7, 2009
                    Jim Scheef wrote:
                    > Sridhar,
                    >
                    > Remember the purpose is note-taking in class. Efficient typing is paramount.

                    I have no trouble whatsoever typing on the 200LX. It's not like it's a
                    Sinclair.

                    Again, I am a touch-typist, and I use a 200LX on a daily basis.

                    Peace... Sridhar