Re: Possible fun experiment

  • Brian Cirulnick
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 5, 2009
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Frady"
      <Legodude522@...> wrote:

      > The Dana Alphasmart doesn't sound like a bad idea. That brings the
      > clamshell Apple Newton to mind.

      -------------

      Here are a few other ideas:

      Windows CE based HPC - advantages: good battery life, instant-on (no
      boot required), provides an MS-word compatible doc file (some schools
      REQUIRE MSword). Disadvantages: requires (often proprietary) serial
      cable to "sync" w/desktop pc to copy files, requires vintage ni-cad
      or lithium battery to be in good enough shape to hold a charge.

      Toshiba T-1000 (style) DOS laptop - advantages: durable as a Model
      100, and has a good keyboard, usually comes with a complete set of
      ports (serial, parallel, VGA out) and floppy drive. Many booted from
      ROM, so boot time is fairly quick. Diadvantages: some only had a
      floppy drive, so saving files and loading a word processor may be
      slow. Again, proprietary battery (but can be easily hacked), so
      holding a charge is questionable after all this time.

      Atari Portfolio -- Might be too small to be useful.

      Wp-5 -- I can't remember if that's what it was called, but Tandy made
      these as well, it was essentially a Model 100 chopped down to be just
      a word processor. Pretty sure it also ran on AA batteries. My memory
      is going though, so, don't hold me to this until I have a moment to
      check on google if this is what it was called.

      I personally would go for the T-1000 laptop. For a very, very, very
      long time I used one as my personal "laptop", and only recently have
      switched to an EEE-PC. Try to find one with the large, backlit screen
      and DOS on ROM. Mine also had a PCMCIA 2mb ram card which I was able
      to use as "Drive D", which meant storing my files and apps was on a
      ram card and was very fast (I just had to remember to backup to
      floppy). I loved that thing and was sad when it died.

      ttyl
      Brian C.
    • Brian Cirulnick
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 5, 2009
        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Cirulnick"
        <techrat@...> wrote:

        > Wp-5 -- I can't remember if that's what it was called, but Tandy
        ------------

        They were marketed as the Wp2 and the Wp3...

        And I just put a bid on a model 200 -- I like the look of those.
        There's no good T-1000's I can see on ebay.

        And jogging my memory, the model T-1000 I had was the 1000SE -- that
        was the one with the backlit screen and the PCMCIA type-1 slot.

        A good solid machine that 1000Se.

        ttyl
        Brian C.
      • Brian Cirulnick
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 5, 2009
          <techrat@...> wrote:

          > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Frady"
          > <Legodude522@> wrote:
          > >
          > > The Dana Alphasmart doesn't sound like a bad idea. That brings
          the
          > > clamshell Apple Newton to mind.
          > >
          > -------------

          Those alphasmarts are way too much money (IMHO). However, I remember
          taking classes at NYU a million years ago and used a regular old palm
          pilot along with the Landware "Go-Type" keyboard.

          Advantages: Compact as hell, runs forever off 2 AAA batteries, fairly
          easy to sync w/Desktop PC to backup your files, will print IF you
          have infrared port on your printer. Disadvantages: I believe "notes"
          are limited to 5k per, you can fill that up pretty quickly while
          typing. No standard ports, and early models didn't even have the
          infrared.

          You know, when I think of all the wacky gadgets I've used in my
          career... I'm amazed I can remember all this crap.

          ttyl
          Brian C.
        • Christopher Blackmon
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 6, 2009

            Hard to believe no one suggested the old HP Omnibooks (300, 425, etc).

            Christopher.

            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 6, 2009
              Or the "long battery life" champion of all time, the HP Portable Plus
              (recharge every 4-5 days in regular use).

              The "execute in place" technology of the early Omnibooks was really
              cool. The PCcard "ROM" in the 300 and 425 held Windows 3.1 code that was
              not copied to RAM to execute. This saved both disk space and RAM.
              Unfortunately both became cheap (did I say that?) so EIP never caught
              on. Those machines may not be all that old, but they are vintage none
              the less!

              Jim

              Christopher Blackmon wrote:

              > Hard to believe no one suggested the old HP Omnibooks (300, 425, etc).
              >
              > Christopher.

            • Sridhar Ayengar
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 7, 2009
                Christopher Blackmon wrote:

                > Hard to believe no one suggested the old HP Omnibooks (300, 425, etc).

                I suggested the 200LX which predates those.

                Peace... Sridhar
              • Christopher Blackmon
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 7, 2009
                  IIRC, the 200LX was introduced in 1994.  The Omnibook 300 in 1993.

                  I've got a couple of 200LX and like them.. but it's hard to do touch typing for note taking on them,
                  thus why I suggested the omnibook.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 7, 2009
                    Sridhar,

                    Remember the purpose is note-taking in class. Efficient typing is paramount.

                    Jim

                    Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

                    > Christopher Blackmon wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hard to believe no one suggested the old HP Omnibooks (300, 425, etc).
                    >
                    > I suggested the 200LX which predates those.
                    >
                    > Peace... Sridhar

                  • Sridhar Ayengar
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 7, 2009
                      Jim Scheef wrote:
                      > Sridhar,
                      >
                      > Remember the purpose is note-taking in class. Efficient typing is paramount.

                      I have no trouble whatsoever typing on the 200LX. It's not like it's a
                      Sinclair.

                      Again, I am a touch-typist, and I use a 200LX on a daily basis.

                      Peace... Sridhar