Re: [midatlanticretro] Possible fun experiment

    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 5, 2009
      Joe,

      While the Model 100 or 200 would both do the job for note taking, they
      are both SRAM-based and everything is lost if the batteries die. (Flash
      had not been invented.) OTOH I found a tool the other day that purports
      to allow file transfers to/from a Windows machine via null modem cable
      (presumably a legacy serial port is required). The Model 100 had 32K of
      user RAM for files provided the machine has all sockets filled. The M200
      had a max of three banks of 24K with most machines having only the base
      24K. I have a couple of "option ROMs" from Traveling Software in my
      collection that gave the M100 a bunch of additional features, but the
      basic Model T is all that's needed for simple text and the keyboard is
      great as well. (Heavy typists put orthodontia rubber bands under the
      keys to soften the impact, and RS sold legs to elevate the back of the
      M100 to make typing much more comfortable.)

      There are Model 100s on eBay all the time going for $25 to $70 but Model
      200s are much less common.

      This would be a fun experiment, however I don't feel it is worth the
      risk of losing important class notes. Back in early 90's my girl friend
      at the time used a M100 to do her library research. After each trip to
      the library, we would dump her files to my desktop machine where she did
      her word processing. She was absolutely mortified when I warned her that
      all of her work would disappear if the batteries died.

      Jim

      Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

      > Matt Patoray wrote:
      > > Joe,
      > >
      > > Then why not try the Tandy 200,A little bigger but more usefull then the
      > > 100.
      > > I also belive that it does take AA batteries as well, or get an
      > > alphasmart. Although you might find the nonbacklit display a problem in
      > > a darkened classroom, heck I found the non TFT display of the PowerBook
      > > 140 a problem, and ended up geting a 170 my 2nd year.
      >
      > I use an HP 200LX for that sort of stuff.
      >
      > MS-DOS 5.0, 80186 @8MHz, 4MB RAM (640kB + EMS), 640x200 CGA screen.
      >
      > I still use one on a daily basis today.
      >
      > Peace... Sridhar

    • Brian Cirulnick
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 5, 2009
        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Frady"
        <Legodude522@...> wrote:

        > The Dana Alphasmart doesn't sound like a bad idea. That brings the
        > clamshell Apple Newton to mind.

        -------------

        Here are a few other ideas:

        Windows CE based HPC - advantages: good battery life, instant-on (no
        boot required), provides an MS-word compatible doc file (some schools
        REQUIRE MSword). Disadvantages: requires (often proprietary) serial
        cable to "sync" w/desktop pc to copy files, requires vintage ni-cad
        or lithium battery to be in good enough shape to hold a charge.

        Toshiba T-1000 (style) DOS laptop - advantages: durable as a Model
        100, and has a good keyboard, usually comes with a complete set of
        ports (serial, parallel, VGA out) and floppy drive. Many booted from
        ROM, so boot time is fairly quick. Diadvantages: some only had a
        floppy drive, so saving files and loading a word processor may be
        slow. Again, proprietary battery (but can be easily hacked), so
        holding a charge is questionable after all this time.

        Atari Portfolio -- Might be too small to be useful.

        Wp-5 -- I can't remember if that's what it was called, but Tandy made
        these as well, it was essentially a Model 100 chopped down to be just
        a word processor. Pretty sure it also ran on AA batteries. My memory
        is going though, so, don't hold me to this until I have a moment to
        check on google if this is what it was called.

        I personally would go for the T-1000 laptop. For a very, very, very
        long time I used one as my personal "laptop", and only recently have
        switched to an EEE-PC. Try to find one with the large, backlit screen
        and DOS on ROM. Mine also had a PCMCIA 2mb ram card which I was able
        to use as "Drive D", which meant storing my files and apps was on a
        ram card and was very fast (I just had to remember to backup to
        floppy). I loved that thing and was sad when it died.

        ttyl
        Brian C.
      • Brian Cirulnick
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 5, 2009
          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Cirulnick"
          <techrat@...> wrote:

          > Wp-5 -- I can't remember if that's what it was called, but Tandy
          ------------

          They were marketed as the Wp2 and the Wp3...

          And I just put a bid on a model 200 -- I like the look of those.
          There's no good T-1000's I can see on ebay.

          And jogging my memory, the model T-1000 I had was the 1000SE -- that
          was the one with the backlit screen and the PCMCIA type-1 slot.

          A good solid machine that 1000Se.

          ttyl
          Brian C.
        • Brian Cirulnick
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 5, 2009
            <techrat@...> wrote:

            > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Frady"
            > <Legodude522@> wrote:
            > >
            > > The Dana Alphasmart doesn't sound like a bad idea. That brings
            the
            > > clamshell Apple Newton to mind.
            > >
            > -------------

            Those alphasmarts are way too much money (IMHO). However, I remember
            taking classes at NYU a million years ago and used a regular old palm
            pilot along with the Landware "Go-Type" keyboard.

            Advantages: Compact as hell, runs forever off 2 AAA batteries, fairly
            easy to sync w/Desktop PC to backup your files, will print IF you
            have infrared port on your printer. Disadvantages: I believe "notes"
            are limited to 5k per, you can fill that up pretty quickly while
            typing. No standard ports, and early models didn't even have the
            infrared.

            You know, when I think of all the wacky gadgets I've used in my
            career... I'm amazed I can remember all this crap.

            ttyl
            Brian C.
          • Christopher Blackmon
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 6, 2009

              Hard to believe no one suggested the old HP Omnibooks (300, 425, etc).

              Christopher.

              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 6, 2009
                Or the "long battery life" champion of all time, the HP Portable Plus
                (recharge every 4-5 days in regular use).

                The "execute in place" technology of the early Omnibooks was really
                cool. The PCcard "ROM" in the 300 and 425 held Windows 3.1 code that was
                not copied to RAM to execute. This saved both disk space and RAM.
                Unfortunately both became cheap (did I say that?) so EIP never caught
                on. Those machines may not be all that old, but they are vintage none
                the less!

                Jim

                Christopher Blackmon wrote:

                > Hard to believe no one suggested the old HP Omnibooks (300, 425, etc).
                >
                > Christopher.

              • Sridhar Ayengar
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 7, 2009
                  Christopher Blackmon wrote:

                  > Hard to believe no one suggested the old HP Omnibooks (300, 425, etc).

                  I suggested the 200LX which predates those.

                  Peace... Sridhar
                • Christopher Blackmon
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 7, 2009
                    IIRC, the 200LX was introduced in 1994.  The Omnibook 300 in 1993.

                    I've got a couple of 200LX and like them.. but it's hard to do touch typing for note taking on them,
                    thus why I suggested the omnibook.

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 7, 2009
                      Sridhar,

                      Remember the purpose is note-taking in class. Efficient typing is paramount.

                      Jim

                      Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

                      > Christopher Blackmon wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hard to believe no one suggested the old HP Omnibooks (300, 425, etc).
                      >
                      > I suggested the 200LX which predates those.
                      >
                      > Peace... Sridhar

                    • Sridhar Ayengar
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 7, 2009
                        Jim Scheef wrote:
                        > Sridhar,
                        >
                        > Remember the purpose is note-taking in class. Efficient typing is paramount.

                        I have no trouble whatsoever typing on the 200LX. It's not like it's a
                        Sinclair.

                        Again, I am a touch-typist, and I use a 200LX on a daily basis.

                        Peace... Sridhar