Newer 5 1/4" Disk Drives with drive "buttons"

  • billdeg@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2005
      Hello - I wrote earlier that I have a Compaq Deskpro 386s (with math co-pro,
      ethernet card, and 9MB RAM) with a 3.5 and 5 1/4" drive (both high density),
      but the 5 1/4" did not work. I have learned last night that after you insert a
      disk you have to depress the disk release button to read disks (but not too
      far, as to eject the diskette). For the past year or so I thought the disk
      drive was bad! I have a PS/1 (486) with the same type of 5 1/4 drive (that I
      thought was also bad and will be testing today).

      What threw me off is the fact that the 3.5 in drives on the Deskpro and the
      PS/1 do not require that one press in the similar-looking disk release button.
      In the days when I would have had a similar computer at work, I never had a
      unit with a 5 1/4 drive that had a drive button. This very important knowledge
      was never assimilated into my mental operations manual.

      I may be the last person on the block to know all of this. You still see
      systems with both the 5 1/4 and 3.5 drives in thrift stores. They are great
      machines for archiving diskettes and highly prized by me for that reason.

      For the record I would not consider either a Compaq Deskpro 386 or PS/1 486
      "vintage," but every vintage collector should have a system with mixed drive
      format for transferring files (and a pair of Laplink cables).