Re: More Classic Computer Ads

  • Brian Cirulnick
    Message 1 of 36 , Jan 2, 2009
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Jim Scheef <scheefj@...> wrote:

      > Last, what are collectors going to laugh at in 30 years? There are
      > almost no computer ads today. If you subscribe to PC Magazine, you
      have
      > received your last issue. The print version is no longer. In 1983 PC
      > Magazine published every two weeks (26 issues per year) and was
      almost
      > an inch think. It was crammed with ads. Better buy the January issue;
      > it's a piece of history.
      -------------------------------

      I think collectors will find plenty to laugh about in 30 years. Vista,
      AOL archives, blogs, youtube, and myspace will be laugh riots.

      Heck in 30 years the prospect of having to use the "internet" may be
      hysterical.

      Keyboards might be considered quaint (hail Scotty!).

      Never mind PC magazine, whatever happened to "Computer Shopper"? That
      thing used to be big as a phonebook, where is it now?

      Recently I had to loan a friend one of my cloth freebie "Mac Week" bags
      that I'd picked up from a Macworld trade show in Boston. This is ironic
      on several fronts: #1) A cloth bag as a freebie? #2) MacWeek? #3)
      Macworld in Boston? #4) Macworld?

      When he saw it, he was in shock.
      And it was absolute proof that I never throw anything away.

      Oh, and fairlanefastback had a comment about Quantum "Bigfoot" drives.
      I love those suckers! I collect every one I can find. Yes, some of them
      were crap, but the ones that last, last longer than any other drive
      you'll find. They represent the last of the 5.25 HDs and the technology
      was very mature. They spin slower and therefore actually do better at
      holding on to your data longer. They are also fairly quiet.

      I have a few of them and so far, no real problems. I had worse issues
      with IBM made 3.5" 2-4GB SCSI HDs. Those suckers died 4 months after
      purchase.

      TTYL
      Brian C.
    • fairlanefastback
      Message 36 of 36 , Jan 7, 2009
        Just be careful with the 1.2gb version. Compaq had to replace almost
        all the ones they had in Deskpros back in the day. I know as I was
        one of the guys doing the replacing. The higher capacity ones may not
        have shared the same issue though.