#march IRC channel ?

  • arkaxow
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2009
      I don't know if this has been asked before, but I thought I would ask
      if we could setup an IRC channel on some server just for our group.
      What do you think ?
    • Mason Taube
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2009
        how about a telnet based ddial instead?

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 1, 2009
          Whatever you want to do is fine, let us know when it's ready for testing.
          bd

          Mason Taube wrote:
          > <!-- DIV {margin:0px;} -->
          > how about a telnet based ddial instead?

        • fairlanefastback
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 1, 2009
            A vintage BBS perhaps? :)

            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Mason Taube <mason_taube@...>
            wrote:

            > how about a telnet based ddial instead?
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Dan Roganti
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 1, 2009

              What happened to the march channel on Andy's IRC server, irc://kildall.ath. cx/   ?
              He set this up 4yrs ago
              I use to connect to this but it appears to be offline now.

              =Dan

            • Bryan Pope
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 1, 2009
                Dan Roganti wrote:

                > What happened to the march channel on Andy's IRC server,
                > irc://kildall.ath.cx/ ?
                > He set this up 4yrs ago
                > I use to connect to this but it appears to be offline now.
                I believe it got a bit gimpy... Try irc.gimp.net and channel #vc.

                Cheers,

                Bryan
              • Brian Cirulnick
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 2, 2009
                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, fairlanefastback
                  <no_reply@...> wrote:

                  > A vintage BBS perhaps? :)
                  >
                  > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Mason Taube <mason_taube@>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > how about a telnet based ddial instead?
                  > >
                  > > ________________________________

                  -------------------

                  This is probably the time for me to chime in:

                  I *already* run a BBS. It uses "vintage" FIRST CLASS software to
                  access. The software is for Mac or Windows.

                  The Windows version is a 16-bit Win 3.11 app that will still run under
                  (most) current versions of Windows (never tested on Vista). It has a
                  Y2k problem though, as it will display current messages as being from
                  1909 instead of 2009. Not a big issue anyhow really.

                  The Mac version however, must run on a NON-OS/X (i.e. classic). I
                  haven't found an OSX client that will connect to my server yet. The Mac
                  version has no Y2k problem, everything displays OK.

                  You can find out more about my BBS by visiting
                  http://www.obsolyte.com/fc where you can download the client and try
                  connecting to the BBS. There's a real-time chat system available as
                  well as Vintage files for your Apple II, Amiga, Windows, Mac etc., And
                  the nice thing about First Class is that you can use your mouse,
                  multiple windows, and upload/download/chat/send messages, all at the
                  same time.

                  TTYL
                  Brian C.
                • Andy Meyer
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 3, 2009
                    On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 9:21 PM, Bryan Pope <bryan.pope@...> wrote:
                    > Dan Roganti wrote:
                    >> What happened to the march channel on Andy's IRC server, irc://kildall.ath.cx/ ?

                    Sorry, that box is long gone. But as Bryan said,
                    a bunch of us still hang out on
                    channel: #vc (vintage computers)
                    server: irc.us.gimp.net

                    There are 8 people on the channel right now.
                    So pickup an IRC client, and c'mon by.

                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_IRC_clients

                    Andy