Re: More Classic Computer Ads

  • fairlanefastback
    Message 1 of 36 , Dec 31, 2008
      Thanks for qualifying what you said in your earlier post Brian.
      Actually learning about this was quite intriguing (for me at least).

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Cirulnick"
      <techrat@...> wrote:

      > I spend a lot of time reading newsgroups (or these days, web-based
      > BBS type systems), and there's still considerable chatter regarding
      > these machines. I know someone made and sold Y2k upgrade ROMs, and
      > they are sold and resold and parts swapped via eBay, and from the
      > experiences I've had, it's not people buying that stuff
      > for "collections" it's people buying that stuff because they wore out
      > the keyboard on the previous one.
      >
      > Spend 20 minutes googling around and you'll find way too much
      > material to convince you that this is just a few collectors. Model
      > 100 is like the Model T -- it just won't die, and there are too many
      > people interested in keeping it alive.
      >
      > All I said to start all this (wow, you guys must be bored to make
      > this the conversation to end 2008), was that the ad for the Model 100
      > wasn't all that ironic, anybody that paid $799 and is still using it
      > got their money's worth.

    • fairlanefastback
      Message 36 of 36 , Jan 7, 2009
        Just be careful with the 1.2gb version. Compaq had to replace almost
        all the ones they had in Deskpros back in the day. I know as I was
        one of the guys doing the replacing. The higher capacity ones may not
        have shared the same issue though.